What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kidley may play at 7

antonius

Coach
Piece in todays paper saying that Kidley trained at halfback for the full session yesterday in case Dureau has to pull out. Smith was inmpressed with what he saw and said a few moves that the team had been trying were coming off with Kids there, moves that they had tried previously and had been somewhat of a failure. Wes would go to fullback if Kidley does play at 7. Personally I hope it doesn't happen, he'd want to be vastly improved on his previous for in the halves. his kicking game is abysmal, and whats happened to Walsh if we now prefer Kidley to him? I would have thought given all the hype about the Bailey/Walsh combo in recent weeks that it would be a no brainer.

Matt23

Staff member
:pray: Hopefully it's just a smoke screen, and he does'nt play there...

Spike

First Grade
I reckon he'll still play defensively at fullback, but he'll play a lot more than usual up in the line in an attacking position at first or second receiver regardless of whether Dureau is ruled out.

roopy

Referee
If Smith has a radical plan for the game, it won't be the one he is telling the Herald about.

Super Sub

Juniors
I think we need to accept that every now and then Gidley will play in the halves, he just signed for like another 4 years and he is arguably the most versatile player in the comp so I can imagine that he has plenty of games in the halves ahead of him over the coming years (injuries do and will happen so we have to live with it) and I guess the thing that we can be glad of is that he does have a lot of first grade experience (and quite a lot of games in the halves) and in a big game against a team like the Broncos it might not be the worst idea to have him filling in at no.7 if Dureau is injured. I mean sure Walsh is more of a natural halfback but he is a poor tackler (Gids is one of the best on the other hand) and throwing him into a pressure-cooker situation against the broncos when he hasn't played first grade yet this year could be bad for his confidence, especially if he makes a mistake or two early in the game. At least with Gids we know that he will run the ball a fair bit, he will tackle his guts out and he definetly won't be intimidated by the broncos forwards or the big game atmosphere, he truly is a game breaker, and if we have to have him in the halves for a game or two then so be it. Besides it seems that it would be very limited preparation for Walsh to slot in at the last minute, especially since Kurt trained at halfback this week.

Jono078

Referee
Wes' hands have been a worry, he has never looked comfortable this year catching or carrying a ball IMO.

Just on Gidley, he really is an amazing player, a few years ago he was probably in the top 10 in NRL for most tackles by a player, these days he is racking up the most metres for a player.

Coopah_Knights

Juniors
Wes' hands have been a worry, he has never looked comfortable this year catching or carrying a ball IMO.

Just on Gidley, he really is an amazing player, a few years ago he was probably in the top 10 in NRL for most tackles by a player, these days he is racking up the most metres for a player.

agree on both points.
the end of last year any kick return was a certain line break...well most of the time lol

Pika

Bench
Scotts fit.

Gids is a poor defender in the line. He is at his best one on one. Though he may well be better than Walsh regardless.

Risa

Bench
Confirmed on NBN News that Dureau has passed his fitness test and will play.

PHEW!

BG

Juniors
is hilder any better.... :sarcasm:

A moot point now it's been confirmed that Dureau is starting, but for the record I meant it would give options. If we do have to play a game without our best two kickers Dureau and Mullen, I think Smith's plan will be to vary it up as much as possible. Bailey, Bedsy, Gids, Hilder... at least it's better than having one average kicker who's also being easily targeted.

BG

Juniors
I was super impressed with Wes under high balls when on the wing for Saints. I'd be surprised if he didn't handle that aspect well at fullback should we need him there at some stage. Hasn't quite hit his straps for us in general just yet.

Latest posts