What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kimmorley:Halves not the problem

Inferno

Coach
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=60244

Cronulla captain Brett Kimmorley insists his halves pairing with Adam Dykes isn't to blame for the NRL club's slide, despite damning statistics to the contrary.
The Sharks have won just four of the last 20 games when both playmakers are on the paddock - including two of 10 this year - with their combination coming under fire following five consecutive losses.
However, Kimmorley refuted suggestions he didn't gel with Dykes.
"I think we've combined well every week, but people seem to be making a big issue of it,"
Kimmorley said.

"We enjoy playing together and I think we'll continue to enjoy playing together.
"People like to discuss things and try to figure out why we're losing.
"When you're losing people try to bring up reasons why and the two blokes that touch the ball the most are going to be the centre of attention."

The former NSW and Australian halfback offered a different reason for the Shire club's recent slide, suggesting opposition defences were getting away with more in the ruck.
"We've unfortunately had to change our style of play a little bit because we're not getting the play-the-balls we want any more ... it's open slather in the ruck," Kimmorley explained.
"That sort of slowed us down and took our effectiveness away a bit.
"We are trying to adapt to it, but when you train all off season on what you think it's going to be and mid-year things change ... that's where we are at the moment."

The Sharks have flown to Auckland to prepare for Saturday's clash with New Zealand Warriors, clinging to a top-eight spot just above Parramatta, Penrith and Canberra due to a superior for-and-against.
"We know we need to win this, whereas the last few weeks it's been `it hasn't come to do or die yet'," Kimmorley said.
"It probably has now.
"Obviously the results have fortunately gone our way in the last few weeks and we are still in there with a chance.
"For the rest of the season, things are in our hands - if we win, we stay in front of all those sides.
"The fact that we won eight or nine in a row will give us confidence.
"We believe when we play good footy we can beat most sides and we've proved that, we just have got to get back onto that bit of a roll.
"We played pretty good footy last week with no result.
"Our main goal is to make sure we make the semis and make sure we play some good football before we get there."

Kimmorley said morale was still high in the Sharks camp despite the recent struggles.
"The boys are still pretty good together," he said.
"Obviously we need to win and confidence is something you can take when you win.
"We're a good bunch of mates and you train hard together and try and win together - win or lose, that doesn't change."
Meanwhile, former Cronulla forward Danny Nutley will know by the end of the week whether Super League club Castleford is prepared to grant him a release.
"He's got another two years to go but his wife's homesick and there is a general consensus he'll probably come home," manager Wayne Beavis said.
"Finding him an NRL club here won't be a problem, it's just a matter of if they release him."

Fair enough, I suppose he can't come out and say yes it is the halves fault but some interesting points made. Especially about the slow down around the ruck. Still that doesn't explain why we couldn't score after plenty of sets in good territory against the Storm, Knights etc.

Fingers crossed we see Nuts back in the big league.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Why doen't the club put a media ban on these people. Raper, Noddy, Gallen last week. They just keep making dicks of themselves

Inferno

Coach
lol who does that leave though to trot out the cliches and talk about our "easy" run home? :lol:

Since 73

First Grade
"We enjoy playing together and I think we'll continue to enjoy playing together.

At the end of the day that's really the most important thing.
Premierships pale into insignificance in comparison to that.

"People like to discuss things and try to figure out why we're losing.

How dare they. The idiots.
Why can't people just accept 4 from 20.
As long as you enjoy playing together Noddy - that's my priority.
Stuff winning, that's for the other clubs.

sharkadelic

Juniors
shark martin said:
Just seems like excuses to me. If other teams can adapt to the ruck, why cant we?

It is a somewhat valid point. The tigers and the Cows were masters of exploiting this and have seen their fortunes suffer towards the latter part of the season. Key injuries have played their part although in a strange reversal of logic it seems to be the players that are fit disadvantaging Cronulla

Macca

Coach
The issue about the rucks is spot on. No wonder the teams that were benefitting earlier in the season from the quicker play the balls are now struggling with less attention in the ruck from referees.

We need to evolve. Like every year we haven't.

dreary

Juniors
It is no co-incidence that certain teams such as the Dogs, Dragons and Eels are playing well now and weren’t earlier and other teams such as the Tigs, Cowboys and Sharks are struggling now. They have different game plans and the players to execute. The latter 3 thrive on fast play the ball and meters through the ruck with the little guys and workaholic 2nd rowers the former like the slow grind.

Rule\Interpretation changes mid season are a joke, that said we need to adapt. If we had the current game plan last year we may have gone closer to winning the comp (due to the mid year interpretation changes) this year that game plan won’t come close (again due to mid year interpretation changes).

Our coach is re-active rather than pro-active, if things change he doesn’t evolve our game plan with it.

Macca

Coach
Exactly. He's just that little bit behind. Reactive is not good enough. What does he do all week while other coaches are working out opposition teams and implimenting game plans to exploit deficiencies.

He's implimenting game plans that don't work anymre because they've been figured out.

Evolve Stuey!

This will sound strange but doing things that worked for you last week doesn't work because the opposition coach has seen that work and will counter it. Good coaches anyway. You have to do things differently every week. It's risky because new things don't come off all the time but the dividends are glorious.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
That is why I like Penrith as a dark horse, the slower ruck suits thier game.

4 Props required

OmniShark

Juniors
The Handbrake1 & Handbrake2 roadshow continues

The pathetic excuses
The "we're playing well without luck" lines
The sheer denial of the bleeding obvious
.... is getting more embarrassing and frustrating week by week

I would settle for H1 & H2 being reactive, but they're nowhere near that

They're bury-your-head-in-the-sand-inactive-keep-living-in-denial-fiddle-while-Rome-burns ...

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
fact. Find me one person that agrees that each week you go out & do things differently!!
Besides being impossible, howwould you train?
may as well jsut brush training & tell every body what time to turn up on sunday.

Macca

Coach
blacktip-reefy said:
fact. Find me one person that agrees that each week you go out & do things differently!!

Just about every coach in the NRL. Not ours unfortunately.

Do you think Tim Sheens, for example, has the same game plan for every opponent?

blacktip-reefy said:
Besides being impossible, howwould you train?

Well, along with the standard drills;

You would train by simulating your opponents strengths and find ways to nullify them.

You would train by isolating your opponents weaknesses and find ways to exploit them.

I don't think that's impossible.

blacktip-reefy said:
may as well jsut brush training & tell every body what time to turn up on sunday.

I don't think you'd find anyone that agrees with that. Bit silly really.

It's a strange response form you considering your continual critisism of Noddy and his predictability but I guess we are all used to you being strange.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Mcsharkie said:
Just about every coach in the NRL. Not ours unfortunately.
Fricken Crap!!! The game plan & philosophy of every club is drilled into them coming through the juniors & then continues into grade. if the players dont buy into it, then it is a mess. if you change the structure each week, there is no use planning. If you watched Carty on Fox last night, you would see clearly how NRL coaches think & how devised their structures are.
Mcsharkie said:
Do you think Tim Sheens, for example, has the same game plan for every opponent?
Of course not! Not even Raper does that. But Sheens structure is the same & very different to other clubs.

Mcsharkie said:
Well, along with the standard drills;

You would train by simulating your opponents strengths and find ways to nullify them.

You would train by isolating your opponents weaknesses and find ways to exploit them.
oh so you mean skills training, pre season stuff. Your out of your depth here.

Mcsharkie said:
It's a strange response form you considering your continual critisism of Noddy and his predictability but I guess we are all used to you being strange.
It's obviously a strange response to you. Quite alien by the looks of it.

Macca

Coach
blacktip-reefy said:
Fricken Crap!!! The game plan & philosophy of every club is drilled into them coming through the juniors & then continues into grade. if the players dont buy into it, then it is a mess. if you change the structure each week, there is no use planning. If you watched Carty on Fox last night, you would see clearly how NRL coaches think & how devised their structures are.

You say this . . .

then in your very next statement you agree with me that coaches game plans are different for each opponent.

blacktip-reefy said:
Of course not! Not even Raper does that.

Make up your mind.

blacktip-reefy said:
But Sheens structure is the same & very different to other clubs.

Who said anything about structure?

blacktip-reefy said:
oh so you mean skills training, pre season stuff. Your out of your depth here.

No I am talking about the training they do in the week leading up to the game. Preparing for the Sharks round 22 clash with the Warriors in the pre season would be pointless.

blacktip-reefy said:
It's obviously a strange response to you. Quite alien by the looks of it.

I thought we had already covered this. Yes you are an Alien to me.

Latest posts