What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kimmorley looms as fall-back option if Eels miss Cronk

Y2Eel

First Grade
So if Kimmorley is the short term answer who is the long term? It wont be Wallace....

stuke

Bench
long term....i'm pretty sure there is a potentially great halfback coming through the Under 12's in the Parra district comp.

I suggest we all sit back and wait to reap the rewards....

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I don't rate Orford. Kimmorley is a quality leader and a good option. Has anyone seen Wallace play without Lockyer, he leaves a lot to be desired as an option.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
long term....i'm pretty sure there is a potentially great halfback coming through the Under 12's in the Parra district comp.

I suggest we all sit back and wait to reap the rewards....

Don't you mean we will all sit back and watch other clubs steal our halves :lol:

The Engineers Room

First Grade
This is why I was so upset about losing Hodkinson at the time. Halfbacks are rare and he has a good kicking game but really we have little options. We have been linked to Thurston, Cronk, Kimmorley, Orford and Wallace, and probably not get any of them so who else is there?

84 Baby

Referee
Available halves and hookers after 2010 season:

Blake Green
Brett Kimmorley
Glen Buttriss
Adam Mogg :lol:
Josh Lewis (unsure of his current status)
Mat Rogers
Terry Seu Seu
Ryan Hinchcliffe
Brett Finch
Scott Dureau
Ben Rogers
Clint Amos
Anthony Watts
Luke Priddis
Ben Hornby
Jake Friend
Brett Seymour

Out of those half aren't worth it, a few are caught by the no d!ckheads policy, Kimmorley, Rogers, Priddis & Hornby are older and probably won't go for a 1 year contract. Who's left would not be any great improvement IMO.

Available halves & hookers after 2011 season:

Darren Lockyer
Andrew McCullough
Michael Ennis
Ben Roberts
Paul Aiton
John Morris
Tim Smith
Preston Campbell
Nathan Friend
Chris Bailey
Isaac De Gois
Kurt Gidley
Jarrod Mullen
Aaron Payne
Arana Taumata
Isaac Luke
Chris Sandow
John Sutton
Jason Clark
Braith Anasta
James Maloney
Joel Moon
Robert Lui

That's a massive list and has some real quality players. Yeah most of them are pretty unlikely but it has now dawned on our board that we don't have a halfback or hooker of 1st grade standard. What's even more worrying is that this realisation came after their meeting with Ando about his plans for the future...

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Two points on 84 Baby's post:

I think Matt Keating is NRL quality, he will develop
Are you suggesting that 1 year for Kimmorley in lieu of snagging one from the second list?

84 Baby

Referee
Two points on 84 Baby's post:

I think Matt Keating is NRL quality, he will develop
Are you suggesting that 1 year for Kimmorley in lieu of snagging one from the second list?
1. I like Matt too but at the moment I don't think he is a 1st grade starting hooker (nor does he have the X factor to be a benchie). His physical and footballing attributes (defence, acceleration, fitness, support play, kicking distance) puts him in the top 9s in the comp, but his ball-playing speed and football decision-making are atrocious. He could and probably will develop but a) are we willing to wait and b) similar to how I feel about, will he ever reach his potential with Parra, or would it only happen with a change of scenery?

2. ATM for 2011 we have a halves combo of Morts and Robbo, MK at hooker and Humble off the bench. Our problem isn't that we don't have a halfback, it's that we have noone to organise our game. Hayne can override if he smells an opportunity somewhere but it's when nothing is happening that we are really poor. We need someone to open up the opposition's defence to give Hayne more opportunities. This can be done with a good kicking game, sending the right runners and spreading the ball at the right times. The only 2 on the list who have showed any consistency with these abilities are Hornby and Kimmorley. Watts is ok but I don't think he is not the dictator we need. Hornby is 30 so may have some value for a few years but I honestly can't see him playing for any other NRL club. Kimmorley on the other hand is 33 and is most likely a year to year prospect and how likely is he to even bother changing clubs next year? I honestly think our best bet is to put everything in the Cronk basket then if that doesn't work have a go for Kimmorley or Hornby then if that doesn't work, push the current crop as hard as possible in the off-season and pray they crack their potential, then start to look at the 2011 list

84 Baby

Referee
BTW the names on the 2011 list make we want Watts even less. Would definitely take Ennis, Friend, Payne, Luke, Aiton, etc over Watts

Joely01

Bench
I have a feeling the DT will have the heading tomorrow Sterling and Kenny want to go around for one more year.....
Like come on Kimmorley looks like he is about 45 at the moment, just gets treated like a rag doll

TheRam

Coach
To me he is very Finch like. Can look great, but can also be very ordinary and he is surrounded by a hell of a lot of champion players.