What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Gutho linked to Dragons

Phantom V

Juniors
I think if and it’s a big if we land Gutho I’d have him at fullback, move Sloan to a wing spot outside Holmes and give the other wing to Alan or Fione. This would give us the speed we are looking for and we’d have a seasoned fullback and leader at the back.

1 Gutho
2 Sloan
3 Holmes
4 Suli
5 Fione or Alan

Jubilee

Juniors

TheRev

Coach
Parramatta not releasing Gutho
Is that based on this article quote from Ryles?
“At no stage did we discuss Gutho moving before the end of his contract,” Ryles told the publication.

“That's one thing that's never been discussed before."
Those words are carefully chosen.. but I think there is a lot to play out here.. and there are 2 conversations... the public one where Parra want to be seen as supporting a club legend + not paying any of his 2025 money... versus what I reckon is happening internally.. and hinted at with the stripped captaincy + being shunted into hooker/lock/utility.

CozDragon

Juniors
Why would we want an aged-out Gutho taking up a slot and cap money for 2026 (and beyond?!) just as we are moving Hunt on? Doesn't make sense.

For 2026, with Hunt's $1m we need to get an organizing half with a good kicking game. End of story.
The stats clearly show that Gutho has not been aged out. He was still top 5 amongst all fullbacks in most of the ideal stats. Plus the guidance he could give Sloan cannot be understated.
Getting Gutho also does not mean we can't get an organising half with a good kicking game...
The side clearly lacked leadership and that includes our captain. Bringing in the likes of Cook, Holmes & possibly Gutho goes a long way to sorting out that leadership void.

As long as it is on say 5-600K max per year and only a 2 year deal, i think the upside outweighs the negative.

Jubilee

Juniors
The stats clearly show that Gutho has not been aged out. He was still top 5 amongst all fullbacks in most of the ideal stats. Plus the guidance he could give Sloan cannot be understated.
Getting Gutho also does not mean we can't get an organising half with a good kicking game...
The side clearly lacked leadership and that includes our captain. Bringing in the likes of Cook, Holmes & possibly Gutho goes a long way to sorting out that leadership void.

As long as it is on say 5-600K max per year and only a 2 year deal, i think the upside outweighs the negative.
I am not against it if he comes in to to take Hunt's slot as a 5/8 for 2025 and 2026 so he would be 32 at the end of season 2026 when he could retire and would not be in the way of young halves coming through, although it would delay LKT's progress to being a full time 5/8..

But if he comes in for 2026, he would be 31 to start the season and I assume would need a contract for 2026 and 2027. He would be a better fullback than Sloane if his legs hold up, but then we have to ask how much would we be paying for a 31 year old fullback to start with us 18 months from now to play out the following two years from then, to the end of 2027.

The result would be Gutho on a TWO year contract but also an important part of THREE years of our path planning.

This is how we end up with knotty roster problems down the road.

My level of excitement about the prospect of Gutherson coming to the Dragons is on par with my level of excitement on hearing that some Roosters players are about to release a rap album.

Exclusive - leaked track list:

1. “Cap Space, Who Dis?”
2. “Eastside, But No One’s Home”
3. “Bondi Bling”
4. “Living Luxe on Minimum Wage”
5. “Salary Cap Houdini”
6. “Cluckin’ Up the Ladder”
7. “No Juniors, No Problem”
8. “Rooster Riches, Eastern Ditches”
9. “Eggs in the Cap Basket”
10. “Beachfront Ballerz”
11. “Where My Supporters At?”
12. “Eastern Suburbs Rugby Town”
13. “Cap Wizards, Bank Rollers”
14. “We Don’t Sweat the Cap”
15. “Rollin’ with Rooster Money”
16. “Bondi to the Bank”
17. “Invisible juniors, Visible Cash”

Daptodragon

Juniors

This nonsense of older players coming to our club and giving our younger players advice is BS, they just get fed up with not getting into first grade or losing their spot and go to other cubs. I am not a fan of signing Gutho or RCG, the only player I wanted from Parra snubbed us.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Is that based on this article quote from Ryles?

Those words are carefully chosen.. but I think there is a lot to play out here.. and there are 2 conversations... the public one where Parra want to be seen as supporting a club legend + not paying any of his 2025 money... versus what I reckon is happening internally.. and hinted at with the stripped captaincy + being shunted into hooker/lock/utility.

I don't think it will end well for either Ryles or Gutho.

Look at us with Hunt. Refusing to let him go didn't help us to the finals.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

He gives effort and push from the backfield. Something we haven’t had since Boyd.

TheRev

Coach
I think Gutho to Dragons makes all the sense in the world.. except I forgot he has chosen to remain living on the Northern Beaches his entire career.. which means the chances of him moving to get 1 more year security.. I doubt it.. and im not sure Beaches to Kogarah/WIN is realistic.. it would be a huge call unless Ryles really does want him out.

56to66

Juniors
I think Gutho to Dragons makes all the sense in the world.. except I forgot he has chosen to remain living on the Northern Beaches his entire career.. which means the chances of him moving to get 1 more year security.. I doubt it.. and im not sure Beaches to Kogarah/WIN is realistic.. it would be a huge call unless Ryles really does want him out.
Unless the Club has spare Apartments for him to Chill out and sleep when he can't be bothered driving long distances.

TheRev

Coach
Unless the Club has spare Apartments for him to Chill out and sleep when he can't be bothered driving long distances.
I mean that might work.. a night or 2 a week.. but definitely it all seems far less convenient than just staying with his routine.. I assume we would only offer him 2yrs not 3.. even though age-wise 3 isnt unreasonable.. its more his injuries.

Last edited:

Latest posts