1. Round 5 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 5 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for is out now!

This week it's Penrith v Canberra so we look at the competition leaders with second rower Kurt Capewell, while we also share the story of the birth of the Glebe Dirty Reds, and as always, the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 5 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Discussion in 'NRL' started by TheDalek079, Jul 22, 2020.

?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

Poll closed Jul 25, 2020.
  1. Sydney Roosters

23.5%
  2. Bulldogs

5.9%
  3. Warriors

33.3%
  4. Titans

3.9%
  5. Other NRL club

3.9%
  6. He should spend time with his family instead

29.4%
  1. Fufu Andronez

Fufu Andronez First Grade

Can't blame him to choosing the chooks tbh. Just leaves a sour taste seeing the rich get richer.

PVL is playing a dangerous game though, someday someone else is going to come to him with a similar request and it'll be hard to justify saying no. Floodgates might open.

2. Danish

Danish Referee

Your "facts" are that because a player earned $5 million in a different comp in a different country under different salary cap rules in another f**king currency that should affect his valuation in the NRL.

So do you reckon if the aussie dollar drops against the canadian dollar his value should have to go up even more? What about if it tanks? Drop it?

aqua_duck likes this.
  3. Danish

Danish Referee

I can't imagine there is a glut of quality players in the ESL that NRL clubs would be interested in tossing cheap short term contracts to that would also be willing to relocate to Australia for a couple months.

Mind you, if there was I reckon that'd be great. Aussie players in the 80s, 90s, and even 2000s used to go to the ESL (remember Andrew Johns going to Warrington?) to ply their trade for a couple months after the aussie season was over. Would just be a return to that system.

4. Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer Coach

The blowup about SBW is just too funny.

Have people lost their minds?

He is not the guy now who helped the Roosters win the title in 2013.

He will be 35 in August!

He hasn’t played a game of league since February.

And people think he is going to be a gun player who is going to be the deciding factor for the Roosters to win the comp this year.

That is just insane.

Valheru likes this.
  5. Danish

Danish Referee

Pretty much.

He is going to be a stop gap to help our backrow injury toll. If Radley and Crichton were both fit and health SBW wouldn't even make our bench.

He'll be lucky to play 15-20 mins per game

Dragon Slayer likes this.
  6. Penrose Warrior

Penrose Warrior First Grade

It'll be impossible to say no. Or it should be. If they're prepared to do that, so be it. But it has to be done for Leutele, and anyone else. Otherwise just hold a press conference to confirm they're really keen to make money at any costs and for big clubs to win most of the time to enable that desire

7. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Bench

So, he’s worth virtually nothing but someone is willing to pay him $5mil per year...

Yeah nah.

8. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Bench

$5,000,000 Ca = $400,000 au

redVinme likes this.
  9. Meth

Meth Moderator Staff Member

seems like a pretty good human to me

10. LineBall

LineBall Juniors

I wonder if we will get him doing a voice-over about himself for his first game back, like last time.

11. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Bench

I’m starting to think they may have pre-recorded that. At the time I thought they were picking up his brainwaves through some kind of telepathic device. Now I’m not so sure.

Smoke and mirrors

LineBall likes this.
  12. Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer Coach

And what did the Wolf Pack get out of that deal?

He was atrocious when he played for them.

13. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Bench

how many games did he play?

Your valuations can fluctuate 1m bucks week to week.

if you put him on the NRL market this week for $400k, every team would go at it thinking they’re getting a top deal.

I doubt Wolfpack just paid $4.6 mil Pa over the going rate in the NRL.

14. Babyface O'reilly

Babyface O'reilly First Grade

England is a third world, miserable, rain sodden, little island. So the dip in money is about right.

15. Steel Saints

Steel Saints Juniors

Is SBW worth $5 million a year? As you said, someone is willing to pay him $5 million a year. But it doesn't mean that someone else would be valuing SBW at that same amount. SBW is 35 and hasn't played in the NRL for six years. Commonsense would tell you that SBW is nowhere near valued at $5 million per year.

16. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Bench

that’s not the issue.

no doubt $5mil is overs.

it’s just that $400k is way unders. Laughably under. That represents 8% of his current contract price. Or to put it the other way, Toronto are paying 12.5 times this nrl valuation.

I might be able to understand the overs if he was going to a shithole. (Actually that would still be a ridiculous premium). But this is a major North American city we are talking about.

Game_Breaker likes this.
  17. aqua_duck

aqua_duck Coach

A major north American city on the other side of the world with zero rugby league history and hence very little commercial opportunities as well as a very low quality squad. SBW has always valued family and glory and Toronto was literally the last place where he was going to have either of those things also for the 500th time the entire value of the contract was outside the salary cap but that point is conveniently ignored by you and others

Captain Apollo likes this.
  18. aqua_duck

aqua_duck Coach

You can't use precedent for entirely different circumstances, I guess if we have another global pandemic and we have teams withdraw from an entire season then they could use this as precedent

Steel Saints likes this.
  19. Danish

Danish Referee

What maths are you using to make $150k for 6 rounds of footy to be $400K for a whole season?

20. Steel Saints

Steel Saints Juniors

Well Toronto paid way overs to begin with. And in his first few games, he wasn't setting the world on fire. That 400k is closer to a more accurate market evaluation than Toronto's $5 million.

The concern I have is that SBW is about to receive special exemption from having two contracts. The NRL argues that it gives them flexibility in special circumstances, but other players will find some form of loophole to get around it.