What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aqua_duck

Coach
The other issue is that he’s allowed to come in for the most important part of the year. The games that matter. With a top 8 system the first half of the year doesn’t matter all that much.
So has every other player that's moved clubs around that June 30 dead line in previous years, funny I've never heard you whinge about it before......

Quicksilver

Bench
So has every other player that's moved clubs around that June 30 dead line in previous years, funny I've never heard you whinge about it before......

Well you haven’t been listening.

I complain every time a $5 million dollar player signs for $150k to play the back half of the year.

aqua_duck

Coach
Well you haven’t been listening.

I complain every time a $5 million dollar player signs for $150k to play the back half of the year.
Let me rephrase since you seem to have trouble with the English language, your particular gripe on this occasion was nothing to do with market value (which you also don't understand) but rather that he's allowed to play just the back end of the year, have you ever complained about players moving clubs just before June 30 on previous years? Please don't change the topic and answer that particular question.

Quicksilver

Bench
Let me rephrase since you seem to have trouble with the English language, your particular gripe on this occasion was nothing to do with market value (which you also don't understand) but rather that he's allowed to play just the back end of the year, have you ever complained about players moving clubs just before June 30 on previous years? Please don't change the topic and answer that particular question.

Jesus Christ, play the ball not the man.

I must have got under your skin.

what a childish response.

The problem here is the under-valuation, which I have explained numerous times. It is compounded by the pro-rata nature of the transaction in this instance.

But yeah, I do generally think there’s a bit of flaw in this arrangement. But that’s just an observation... I’m not going to kick and scream about it though. I’m not going to throw a tantrum like you do. I’m merely pointing it out.

aqua_duck

Coach
Jesus Christ, play the ball not the man.

I must have got under your skin.

what a childish response.

The problem here is the under-valuation, which I have explained numerous times. It is compounded by the pro-rata nature of the transaction in this instance.

But yeah, I do generally think there’s a bit of flaw in this arrangement. But that’s just an observation... I’m not going to kick and scream about it though. I’m not going to throw a tantrum like you do. I’m merely pointing it out.
So you're still not answering the question, for the last time have you ever whinged about players moving clubs around June 30 before? Seriously just answer the question, is that so hard?

Quicksilver

Bench
So you're still not answering the question, for the last time have you ever whinged about players moving clubs around June 30 before? Seriously just answer the question, is that so hard?

my answer was quite comprehensive.

I explained that I’m not particularly upset with that part of it, but it is a little bit flawed. That was the extent of my original post on the subject.

I have raised this issue in discussions I have had before, but probably not on here because I’m relatively new.

Can you put your toys back in the cot now?

unforgiven

Bench
M
nah.

The argument is that no one goes paying $5 mil for a nuffy.
Especially when the other best players in the game are maybe on a touch over a mil.
Mate, that deal was quite obviously about making a splash with getting a well known player to the club. It was as much about publicity as anything else. You know that as well.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Your "facts" are that because a player earned $5 million in a different comp in a different country under different salary cap rules in another f**king currency that should affect his valuation in the NRL.

So do you reckon if the aussie dollar drops against the canadian dollar his value should have to go up even more? What about if it tanks? Drop it?

lol
Currency fluctuation?
That's your defense for ignoring his current contract?

You seem to have scraped the bottom of the barrel for having your head in the sand

aqua_duck

Coach
im not sure you can base a valuation on how well a player played in his last game lol.
It's not 1 game though, it was 3 or 4 games, id say that would be a better indicator of where he is as a player than what he did 6 or 7 years ago.

Game_Breaker

Coach
As I've mentioned a thousand times and you've ignored a thousand times they paid for him for marketing, promotion and branding, also it's not exactly easy to attract a big name to a city with no league history or exposure and a shit team, he was also paid outside the cap as a marquee player. In any event the most recent examples of his playing ability that can be used to determine market value is the 3-4 games he played at the beginning of the year where he struggled. How many NRL teams would've signed up that version of sbw for $800k a year?

That's also an important aspect in the modern game that influences market value

But your argument is it should be ignored.
His current contract should also be ignored because it break the NRL rules

unforgiven

Bench
That's also an important aspect in the modern game that influences market value

But your argument is it should be ignored.
His current contract should also be ignored because it break the NRL rules
He is not worth anywhere near as much to the Roosters as he is to the Wolfpack in terms publicity, they were entering the Super League for the 1st time and wanted legitimacy so tried to buy it with SBW.

Game_Breaker

Coach
He is not worth anywhere near as much to the Roosters as he is to the Wolfpack in terms publicity, they were entering the Super League for the 1st time and wanted legitimacy so tried to buy it with SBW.

That still doesn't mean we ignore his current contract and underestimate his market value

greenBV4

Bench
Nope, it's literally never been a lump sum payment
I'm not suggesting they get paid a lump payment, but how do they figure out a clubs cap expenditure? They look at that as the yearly amount don't they?

If someone moves clubs and only plays half the year at a new club does the yearly salary that player would of been on get used to see if they can fit in the cap for that year or just half of what that is as he only plays half the games? (That's a genuine question)

For example a player moves clubs mid year on a 800k per year salary, does 800k get tallied into the new clubs cap expenditure or only 400k? If its only 400k then there's a problem with the system because that club is over the cap talent wise

greenBV4

Bench
idk what the actual rules are (I'm guessing not what it should be) but based on this article, unless the roosters are 900k under the cap (hahahahaha) then in my books they are essentially over the cap for the last 4 games and finals (the ones that matter most

the Roosters initially attempted to register SBW on a $120,000 contract to play the final four matches of the regular season as well as finals, but that figure was rejected by the NRL.

The report states that the Roosters eventually settled on a $150,000 pay packet for the cross-code veteran.

If that four-game deal was extrapolated to the full 24-game season on a pro-rata basis, Williams could have earned a whopping $900,000.

But The Daily Telegraph quotes Williams as saying: “I’m not doing it for money.

“It wasn’t even part of my thinking.

“I knew it wasn’t going to be much. It’s more about the challenge.”

But the fairness of the $150,000 figure has come under question, with Paul Kent telling Fox League’s NRL 360 that rival clubs would have been willing to pay more for SBW’s services.

The NRL requires players to be paid at approximately their market value, which would explain why the Roosters were reportedly required to up their offer from $120,000 to $150,000.

But if, as Kent claims, multiple rivals were willing to pay SBW more than that figure, the equitability of the contract figure is thrown into doubt.

“There would be at least half a dozen clubs saying if we are going to pro-rata it to just the final four games, we could have valued him and paid him $200 or $250k for those final four games. There are clubs that have still got that much still left in their cap.

“The NRL should have at least revealed how they were going to scale his pay so if another NRL club wanted to come in at least then it would look fair and transparent "
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/f81864cfb3c018d767db98de6f2f6d46

Danish

Referee
lol
Currency fluctuation?
That's your defense for ignoring his current contract?

You seem to have scraped the bottom of the barrel for having your head in the sand

There is no barrel to be scraped You are talking complete and utter nonsense.

What do you make of Ryan James signing for several hundred thousand below his largest offer - you know, his "market value" - to join the raiders?

I know you are a fan of a club who has basically spent the last decade paying overs for utter trash like Tony Williams and Kieran Foran. So I can appreciate you feeling aggrieved that not every other club runs their cap as f**king stupid as yours does. But you are just covering yourself in idiocy every time you try to add more shit to your giant pile of crap arguments