What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nice straw man. He can play for whatever club he wants to as long as the contract is in line with the rules and spirit of the salary cap (see: market value).

What happens in other sports is irrelevant to the discussion. You have intentionally overlooked the fact that the Roosters have a reputation for flaunting the rules and receiving preferential treatment

A reputation created by fans. As for preferential treatment? Hard to argue that one when you remember that we would field the Qld Origin team for 15 odd years without investigation. Received the most penalties for years till we broke our drought. If that wasn’t enough, our drink driving Captain got a reference from the CEO and another medically retired because the game is doing well when Easts do well. Got a slap on the wrist in 2016 for being over the cap. Allowed to keep a title in spite of peptides and cap infringements because, you know, fairytale. Mitch Pearce got off for Australia Day antics when many thought 8 weeks and 150k fine would’ve been suitable. Ricketson got off high tackle charge to play in 04 GF. My favourite is Greenberg’s un precedented move for a CEO, turns up to a judiciary meeting to make sure Napa doesn’t get suspended and made damn sure that Slater couldn’t play the 2018 GF because they were playing us. See, the NRL are smart. They know we’re the most popular team and no one would mind if we keep winning. A win for Easts is a win for the game after all.

Quicksilver

Bench
If it was 28 year old SBW from 7 years ago sure.

SBW attracts a lot of attention. Any gains the code gets are a bonus. How many extra eyeballs his 15-20 off the bench brings in I'm not sure will be too significant.

Speculating what offers he'd attract on the open market is pointless as he doesn't go to open market. He wouldn't entertain playing anywhere but Roosters.

making comparisons to the open market is the basis of the whole salary cap!

that means that any player can just say “hey, don’t bother counting me in the salary cap, I just want to stay at the club I’m already at, thanks”

Nevan_

First Grade
A reputation created by fans. As for preferential treatment? Hard to argue that one when you remember that we would field the Qld Origin team for 15 odd years without investigation. Received the most penalties for years till we broke our drought. If that wasn’t enough, our drink driving Captain got a reference from the CEO and another medically retired because the game is doing well when Easts do well. Got a slap on the wrist in 2016 for being over the cap. Allowed to keep a title in spite of peptides and cap infringements because, you know, fairytale. Mitch Pearce got off for Australia Day antics when many thought 8 weeks and 150k fine would’ve been suitable. Ricketson got off high tackle charge to play in 04 GF. My favourite is Greenberg’s un precedented move for a CEO, turns up to a judiciary meeting to make sure Napa doesn’t get suspended and made damn sure that Slater couldn’t play the 2018 GF because they were playing us. See, the NRL are smart. They know we’re the most popular team and no one would mind if we keep winning. A win for Easts is a win for the game after all.

Created by fans? The salary sombrero was created and perpetuated by a former player. Brett Finch is also on the record in regards to their cheating, as proven earlier. The indiscretions and protection of others is not a valid defence. Nor are cherry picked instances of on-field calls. You’re forgetting a certain moment from last year’s grand final, I might add. Not to mention the pressure your coach put on the NRL a couple of seasons ago to stop penalising infringements (the audacity!) as your club was not doing well. The capitulation of the NRL resulted in the Roosters rising up the ladder.

Created by fans? The salary sombrero was created and perpetuated by a former player. Brett Finch is also on the record in regards to their cheating, as proven earlier. The indiscretions and protection of others is not a valid defence. Nor are cherry picked instances of on-field calls. You’re forgetting a certain moment from last year’s grand final, I might add. Not to mention the pressure your coach put on the NRL a couple of seasons ago to stop penalising infringements (the audacity!) as your club was not doing well. The capitulation of the NRL resulted in the Roosters rising up the ladder.

A so called comedian (the author of said jest) using a former player, a buffoon looking for a cheap laugh is merely fodder for those with an axe to grind. Has Finch been interviewed? Surely the media would‘be jumped on it. Would make an ambitious journo’s career, that morsel would. Or maybe there’s nothing there.
PS
Last years GF. Fair n square yada yada

AJB1102

First Grade
making comparisons to the open market is the basis of the whole salary cap!

that means that any player can just say “hey, don’t bother counting me in the salary cap, I just want to stay at the club I’m already at, thanks”

Not exactly, but players take less to stay at clubs all the time, most never go to market because they extend before other clubs can even ask. Keary could fetch god knows how much but he's not interested - should Roosters have to pay more than the $900k he's happy with just because the Titans might pay $1.4M?

Not exactly, but players take less to stay at clubs all the time, most never go to market because they extend before other clubs can even ask. Keary could fetch god knows how much but he's not interested - should Roosters have to pay more than the $900k he's happy with just because the Titans might pay $1.4M?

Case which illustrates your point in a way is Roger Tuivasa-Scheck. He left the Roosters to go to the NZ Warriors on an offer which was far more than he Roosters offered him going by all public accounts. Whilst he tries hard every week and is a pure professional, do you reckon he wonders from time to time whether he might have been better off had he stayed at the Roosters when you consider how poorly the Warriors have done (on field) since he has been there?

Nice straw man. He can play for whatever club he wants to as long as the contract is in line with the rules and spirit of the salary cap (see: market value).

What happens in other sports is irrelevant to the discussion. You have intentionally overlooked the fact that the Roosters have a reputation for flaunting the rules and receiving preferential treatment

A reputation based on zero FACTS. Too many people go if club A and B have been caught doing it, then all clubs must be doing it, just they are better at hiding it. It is just lazy thinking.

The theory has about as much basis in fact as the conspiracy theory about the moon landing being faked.

Quicksilver

Bench

There is a range that the signing must fall in to for the NRL to accept the contract. If they are taking the piss then the NRL won’t accept it.

At least that was the position before PVL took charge. Now you can obviously do whatever you like, I accept that.

Quicksilver

Bench
A reputation based on zero FACTS. Too many people go if club A and B have been caught doing it, then all clubs must be doing it, just they are better at hiding it. It is just lazy thinking.

The theory has about as much basis in fact as the conspiracy theory about the moon landing being faked.

Oh come on. Deep down you can’t believe this. I can see why you’d want to believe it. But come on.

greenBV4

Bench

There should be concessions for retaining players (especially ones developed by the club), but new or returning players is a different case, and if there is going to be a hard salary cap, it can't be made soft on a case by case basis

Oh come on. Deep down you can’t believe this. I can see why you’d want to believe it. But come on.

Most of the recent salary cap exposures have come about due to disgruntled ex-staff at the club. I know of plenty of people who left the Roosters employ on bad terms. Yet in all that time not one has come forward saying there was a cooking of the books.

I mean do you seriously think my club, which is known to leak like a sieve, would be able to keep this a secret for 30 odd years (which is when the salary cap first came in for rugby league at a professional level) with nothing coming out? Crap, my club couldn't even keep it secret that Brad Fittler was going to be fired as First Grade Coach long enough for Freddy to be told in person before the information went public!

I look at facts, not "feelings".

Nevan_

First Grade
A so called comedian (the author of said jest) using a former player, a buffoon looking for a cheap laugh is merely fodder for those with an axe to grind. Has Finch been interviewed? Surely the media would‘be jumped on it. Would make an ambitious journo’s career, that morsel would. Or maybe there’s nothing there.
PS
Last years GF. Fair n square yada yada

Here’s an example of the persecution complex Roosters fans have developed in order to justify their support of a used car salesman in sporting club form. No, the years of rumours, innuendo and outright admittance (in Finch’s case) of wrong-doing is a conspiracy theory! Everyone just hates us because we’re the third most successful club!

Did club A and B threaten to sue the NRL if they didn’t raise the salary cap? There were rumours over the Storm’s legitimacy too, and we know how they turned out. The schadenfreude when they’re inevitably exposed will be unreal.

Valheru

Coach

This is a quality meltdown

Fletch created the sombrero to take the piss and upset people like you.

Please show me where Finch is on the record in regards to cheating.

What request from Robbo are you referring to? Must have been 2016 as that was the only year we haven't done well recently. You are yet another example of someone who believes that we are so far over the cap that other teams don't have a realistic chance of competing with us yet we still need the NRL and the refs to do us favours to win.

Here’s an example of the persecution complex Roosters fans have developed in order to justify their support of a used car salesman in sporting club form. No, the years of rumours, innuendo and outright admittance (in Finch’s case) of wrong-doing is a conspiracy theory! Everyone just hates us because we’re the third most successful club!

Did club A and B threaten to sue the NRL if they didn’t raise the salary cap? There were rumours over the Storm’s legitimacy too, and we know how they turned out. The schadenfreude when they’re inevitably exposed will be unreal.

No complex here. Just give me some cold, straightforward, unemotional, documented facts. Explain why the NRL, the police or a journalist hasn’t questioned Finch’s so called claim.

Yep, yet again the thinking I was criticising "the rumours about club A turned out to be true so they must be true about club B" despite the fact there is no evidence.

Further if there was any substance to the rumours, why is it that not a single solitary journalist, investigative body or regulatory authority has found anything in the what 20 odd years of these rumours, or are they all complicit in the cover up too? :rolleyes: :p

Heaven help anyone in court who winds up with you on a jury, you'd find them guilty base on your feelings, along with rumour and innuendo and despite the lack of facts or evidence.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
It’s not conveniently forgotten. No one is saying he would be worth $5mil in the NRL.

Just that the valuation for this obviously valuable player (as per your argument above) is wrong
So the argument is based on his super league contract with all things being equal his entire salary should be outside the cap as it is with his wolf pack contract?

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm not even a roosters fan but let's be honest, would there be this much of a blow up if he was signing with the warriors/bulldogs/titans on the exact same deal?

Latest posts