What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Spock!

Referee
May as well bring him in.

There's only 4 teams in this comp and the only interest is if teams can put on 50+ against the others.

mave

Coach
Market value is bullshit.

A players worth is what he's offered. The nrl should have no say in that. How would you figure it out anyway? A players worth is different between clubs. Teenage Ponga value at the knights was way different to the Cowboys for example. Newcastle had years of the spoon, they had no class spine players and they needed a big signing to make them seem attractive. Cowboys had an establishes team fresh of a premiership, and established players in 1,6,7.

If a player wants to play for less let him. SBW aint no spring chicken, he'd already be reasonably set for life, one last premiership tilt would be worth a lot more to him, plus he probably has loyalty to Nick Politis and Robinson. Forcing him to play elsewhere because of an arbitrary 'market value' is BS

Souths loved Greenburgs made up market value bullshit when they picked up Glenn Stewart.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
So your argument is that the Raiders trainer didn't get involved in that situation?

That's a very strong position to defend.
Its almost like it was pure luck that one trainer got hit and another didn't.

Are you saying it was a pre planned tactic?

Dingo_dan

Juniors
If It's good enough to screw one club to benefit Souths, then its good enough to then be applied to all other clubs.
If it screwed one club, then shouldn't it be scrapped?

If it benefited souths and you hated that, then why do you want it to continue.

mave

Coach
If it screwed one club, then shouldn't it be scrapped?

If it benefited souths and you hated that, then why do you want it to continue.

Consistency.

The standard from the NRL has been set. It needs to continue, so other non favoured clubs could potentially benefit down the track.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Consistency.

The standard from the NRL has been set. It needs to continue, so other non favoured clubs could potentially benefit down the track.
Or, if it was a stupid rule then change it now?

I don't get some nrl fans sometimes. When a bad decision is made against they want others to suffer.
Brett Stewart and Matai should have been able to medically retire. The decision to not allow them to medically retire was wrong. Yet whenever a player medically retires now the comments inevitably turn to 'how can X club retire X player when Stewart and matai weren't allowed to'.
See it in all kinds of situations. Player from someone's club gets a 2 weeks suspension for an innocuous tackle. Complain that it was unfair. Next week a player does the exact same tackle but doesn't miss a game. Personally I'm happy the 2nd player didn't get charged. But nrl fans are so petty that even when an injustice was done against their club they want others to suffer.

What would be better, Consistently wrong decision's or a line drawn in the sand, admit we done it wrong in the past and set a new precedent.

Game_Breaker

Coach
So by your logic if someone buys a corolla in Mongolia for $100k for some asinine reason then every Corolla in Australia is worth a market value of $100k? There are a myriad of factors in play that you've ignored including the fact that his contract sits 100% outside the salary cap as a marquee player exemption and he's been paid that money more for marketing and promotion then anything else, you can't apply market value when the circumstances aren't the same and once he technically terminates his wolf pack deal as per NRL rules won't his market value have been readjuated?

Weird analogy
I'm sure the market value of a corolla in Mongolia is known

We're talking about his market value so I'll apply his known market value

mave

Coach
What would be better, Consistently wrong decision's or a line drawn in the sand, admit we done it wrong in the past and set a new precedent.

When the NRL come out and admit that they got these decisions wrong, then yep let's set a new precedent.

Don't hold your breath though.

aqua_duck

Coach
Weird analogy
I'm sure the market value of a corolla in Mongolia is known

We're talking about his market value so I'll apply his known market value
You're basing his market value on a contract with completely different circumstances of the NRL salary cap i.e marquee player allowance 100% outside the salary cap which doesn't exist in the NRL so you can't just apply the same market value when cap isn't the same just like you can't just set Rapana's market value as what he would've got in Japanese rugby as it's a completely different market. Market value doesn't depend on outliers in a different market but what a NRL team would be happy to pay, this has always been the basis of how market value is measured.

Quicksilver

Bench
You're basing his market value on a contract with completely different circumstances of the NRL salary cap i.e marquee player allowance 100% outside the salary cap which doesn't exist in the NRL so you can't just apply the same market value when cap isn't the same just like you can't just set Rapana's market value as what he would've got in Japanese rugby as it's a completely different market. Market value doesn't depend on outliers in a different market but what a NRL team would be happy to pay, this has always been the basis of how market value is measured.

Correct, but 400k is ridiculously low. If he was on the market in regular conditions someone would give him double that. Even as a conservative estimate I’d put him at at least 50% more.

so $600k should be the minimum. Even if we do want to bend the rules for this god’s gift to marketing.