What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Kiwi Origins"

Classic stuff here, Doyle comes out and names his 'Kiwi origins' team, all the while bleating about Kasiano, Papalii and Taumalolo and the need for 'Kiwi Origin' to retain these guys..... but strangely enough none of the 3 are apparently good enough to make his squads.

Doofus.

Kiwi origins
Kiwi officials are hoping the introduction of their own ''Origin'' will dissuade the likes of Sam Kasiano, Josh Papalii and Jason Taumalolo turning their back on the country to play for Queensland. NZRL boss Jim Doyle this week came up with two possible line-ups for the game. The teams, named by Doyle on the Big Sports Breakfast radio program, were:

AUCKLAND: Kevin Locke; Jason Nightingale, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Simon Mannering, Sam Perrett; Benji Marshall, Shaun Johnson; Sam McKendry, Issac Luke, Sam Rapira, Lewis Brown, Adam Blair, Jeremy Smith. Int: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Russell Packer, Ben Matulino, Sika Manu.

HEARTLAND: Josh Hoffman; Matt Duffie, Steve Matai, Jerome Ropati, Manu Vatuvei; Kieran Foran, Nathan Fien, Fuifui Moimoi, Alehana Mara, Roy Asotasi, Greg Eastwood, Frank Pritchard, Bronson Harrison. Int: Frank-Paul Nuuausala, Alex Glenn, Kevin Proctor, Gerard Beale.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/chooks-mitchell-wants-to-go-home-to-roost-20120621-20qzd.html#ixzz1ySwx6y4H

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...me-to-roost-20120621-20qzd.html#ixzz1ySwx6y4H

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...me-to-roost-20120621-20qzd.html#ixzz1ySwx6y4H

blain

Juniors
What is the selection criteria he used? Mannering, Marshall, Rapira, Brown, Smith, Packer and Matulino aren't from Auckland!!!

Ropati, Manu, Foran, Moimoi, Asotasi, Eastwood and probably more are Aucklanders.

If tjats the stupid selection criteria they use, they might as well not even bother because they have nothing to play for except themselves. I want to see non Aucklanders trying to bash some Jaffas, at least public would have teams to support.

hitro

Juniors
Classic stuff here, Doyle comes out and names his 'Kiwi origins' team, all the while bleating about Kasiano, Papalii and Taumalolo and the need for 'Kiwi Origin' to retain these guys..... but strangely enough none of the 3 are apparently good enough to make his squads.

Doofus.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/chooks-mitchell-wants-to-go-home-to-roost-20120621-20qzd.html#ixzz1ySwx6y4H

hitro

Juniors
er sorry stuffed that last one up
are any of the guys in the auckland team from auckland?
skd is from tokoroa
mannering is from nelson
benji is from whakatane
luke is from taranaki
rapira from hamilton
brown is Chch
blair from northland
JWH from vegas
etc...
what are they on?

JoeD

First Grade
I want to see non Aucklanders trying to bash some Jaffas, at least public would have teams to support.
Lets just imagine that the two teams are Aucklanders v the rest. Do we still really care? Would we want to see Warriors players miss a club game to play this game?

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Did he actually come up with those teams.
I am hoping they were missed typer or quoted etc.
I havent seen it mentioned anywhere other than here.

Clearly we have enough talent and enough history between the two areas/teams.
Dont be haters ...

This would be mean...maori mean.
Physical as hell.

Tee up the winner to play QLD or nsw

And I would proudly go view such as spectale
below my teams of the top of my head

Greater Auckland:

1. Locke
2. Vatuvei
3. Alex Glenn
4. Steve Matai
5. Duffie
6. Foran
7. Johnson
8. Jesse Bromwhich
9. Thomas Leulauai
10. Sam Kasiano
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Bronson Harrison
13. FPN

14. Taumololo
15. Greg Eastwood
16. Josh Papalii
17. FPJ

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Sam Perrett
3. Mannering
4. SKD
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Kyle Stanley
7. Benji Marshall
8. Mckendry
9. Luke
10. Packer
11. Blair
12. Mannering
13. Jeremy Smith

14. Lewis Brown
15. Sika Manu
16. Sam Rapira
17. JWH

_addict

Juniors
I can't help but think that Aussies lend more morale support to this idea than Kiwis, 'cos if it works for origin it must work over here too. Well it just won't work over here, different environment, situation and numbers. It's a non-starter

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
There isnt enough player depth, history or interest to make this viable.

what a load of bull. ish.
clearly there is player depth...see my list and plenty more players coming through.

check...Nz league history
ask any past great/kiwi

If you were any good you had to come up to play either club footy in Auckland or play against them.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I can't help but think that Aussies lend more morale support to this idea than Kiwis, 'cos if it works for origin it must work over here too. Well it just won't work over here, different environment, situation and numbers. It's a non-starter

I think it just needs to be marketed right.
As per my other posts there is more than enough history.

Dont believe the hype re: origin, plenty of mickey mouse selection.

Its going to happen sooner or later.
We need it to happen.

I support nz league first and warriors 2nd.

_addict

Juniors
I think it just needs to be marketed right.
As per my other posts there is more than enough history.

Dont believe the hype re: origin, plenty of mickey mouse selection.

Its going to happen sooner or later.
We need it to happen.

I support nz league first and warriors 2nd.
Yep

I dont like the "Origin" concept for NZ.

Forget the fact that any concept would take time to get tribal support like Qld get (nsw still havent gotten the "hate" after 30 years). We need our best players working together so we can get the combinations going, not a situation where our hooker and fullback are on one team and the 1/2 and 5/8 are on the other.

Australia Spine
Slater/Thurston/Cronk/Smith
Queensland Spine
As above

Get the POMs to dump the exiles game and play England in a 3 test series each year (same time as Origin in a mid season break ala super 15)

Better for England, Better for us, better for the int game

You could also use the break for a Fiji/Samoa/Tonga/PNG series

IF we are serious about international league this is what we need.

WUP

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The problem with a 3 test series against England is that it would require the competition to take a break for 3-4 weeks. You can't have the teams flying over every 2-3 weeks to coincide with Origin.

I also think people need to stop comparing this concept to State of Origin. It's not Origin, it's not going to be like Origin, but it is going to be something different than the norm and that can only be a good thing if the players and fans embrace it and treat it as a stand alone fixture rather than making Origin comparisons.

Talanexor

Juniors
I dont like the "Origin" concept for NZ.

Forget the fact that any concept would take time to get tribal support like Qld get (nsw still havent gotten the "hate" after 30 years). We need our best players working together so we can get the combinations going, not a situation where our hooker and fullback are on one team and the 1/2 and 5/8 are on the other.

Australia Spine
Slater/Thurston/Cronk/Smith
Queensland Spine
As above

Get the POMs to dump the exiles game and play England in a 3 test series each year (same time as Origin in a mid season break ala super 15)

Better for England, Better for us, better for the int game

You could also use the break for a Fiji/Samoa/Tonga/PNG series

IF we are serious about international league this is what we need.

WUP

There are more people in Sydney than there are in the whole of NZ. I think that NZ possibly has the best quality of depth they've ever had at the moment, but not enough to make an Origin series viable.

This would absolutely decimate the Warriors NRL squad - 10 of the players named are at the Warriors. That's even worse than Brisbane in the early years of Origin.

Also, I agree that NZ and GB playing each other in a 3-match series would be awesome. Would also make Test matches at the end of the year a lot more watchable, ebcause the NZ and GB teams would get more of a chance to play together and work out combinations. Would also make standalone weekends viable - nobody likes watching club games with all the star players out or backing up from Origin.

Love this idea.

WarriorDefence

Juniors
What about a concept where it's the warriors v the rest with the catch being that anyone who has played f.g, reserves or u20s for the warriors can Play for the warrior side but u have to be eligible for the kiwis- so we would lose luck, friend etc ( keep in mind there will be less Aussies at the club in the future as all the young guys keep coming thro) but we could pick the likes of ah mau, fein, tuimavave etc ( keeping in mind there will be alot more warrior u20s playing for other clubs in the future)
It's black and white- either u played for the warriors or u didn't, there's no grey area. The other team (maybe call them the invaders) would have the better side on paper but the warriors have existing combinations and a bit of a brotherhood from playing together previously.
I reckon it would be mean to get all the bros back together once a year. Not all kiwis are warrior fans so I think alot if people would support the invaders plus all the Aussies would support them coz it would be made up of players from their clubs.
The first game could alternate between chch and Wellington, the second in Oz and the decider in Auckland.
To top it off the warrior u20s could play a game against a team made up of the best kiwi eligible players from the other NYC sides as the curtain raiser.
Any takers?

The problem is if we do nothing more kiwis will be turning back on nz to play for up to 150k in an origin series. With such a short career who wouldn't take the money? If you want international league to grow something has to happen. Before a ball was kicked off in soo it had plenty of people saying it wouldn't work or last! So let's finally do something!

spear tackle

Juniors
The NZRL have been talking about this for years but since they dont appear to be able to organise much I'll belive it when I see it.
As for eligibily how many players have the Kiwis plundered from the Island nations over the last few years? Quite a few I'd imagine.

Latest posts