What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KIWI pride stunning...they are playing for pride not money

DIEHARD

----
The Courier-Mail said:
NZ not playing for money - By Steve Ricketts - October 14, 2004

NEW Zealand Rugby League chairman Sel Pearson yesterday claimed the Kiwi players sacrificed more than the Australians to represent their country in the Tri-Nations series.

Pearson said the Kiwis would not receive a cent for Saturday night's Tri-Nations first-round match against Australia at Auckland's North Harbour Stadium and they would receive nothing more than a daily allowance for the rest of the series.

The Kangaroos will each get a $10,000 fee, plus a bonus if they win the tournament.

Pearson said players such as Sonny Bill Williams also gave up the chance to sample the glamour of State of Origin football by choosing to play in the Kiwi jumper.

"I understand Sonny Bill saying anything goes when you wear a Kiwi jumper because look what they give up when they wear it," Pearson said.

"First there is State of Origin, which has already tempted Karmichael Hunt.

"Then they do it [play for the Kiwis] for nothing and a number of players have even delayed going under the knife to help New Zealand get a good start in the Tri-Nations," he said.

Tony Puletua, Matt Utai, Joe Galuvao will all need operations in the off-season.

Wow. That is amazing but also shocking. We thought turning your back on an Origin jersey was hard but think of the money they are also throwing alway to wear the black and white. Obviously something has to be done to rectify this gaping whole in professionalism in our apparent top tier of competition.

Ask yourself how many Kangaroos would be playing for mere daily allowances...

Broncodroid

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
Ask yourself how many Kangaroos would be playing for mere daily allowances...

Ok, I asked myself, coming up with the following.

Australian players who have the right to wear the green and gold would play in that jersey for free given this is the highest honor for the individual player. The Australian jersey is reaped in tradition and all the greats have wore the jumper at some stage in their careers, having the chance to become part of that is something no player would pass up. Do not think for one minute the NZ players have more pride in their jersey for the only reason being a news article released highlighting the dollar difference between playing for either country. If the roles were reversed, our guys would be doing the same thing.

The fact remains, the players earn enough money as it is, the $10,000 bonus is a nice reward, but IMO it is unecessary. The NRL is giving out $250,000 which again, IMO only, could be better spent on the game elsewear. Hell, we could look at employing more than the meager 2 full time referee's for example!

Admirable effort from the likes of Tony Puletua, Matt Utai & Joe Galuvao delaying off season surgery to participate in this test, that for mine is pride in your jumper as they could in all seriousness put the start of their 2005 season at risk which puts them off-side with their employer.

DIEHARD

----
I never said they had more pride than the Kangaroos, but it is a fact that some players would back out and opt for end of season surgery or a holiday. It is a fact that some players do not give the green and gold jersey the respect it deserves.

Just look at last year's squad.

I agree that the paying of them so much is grossly unnecessary and it could be spent in other areas.

But it is a HUGE thing for the Kiwis to turn their backs on the temptation of an Origin jersey and maybe a Roo jersey and then go on a tour with only daily allowances. In fact it sounds like something out of the 1930s.

I wonder if the Kiwis will be travelling to GB in a steam ship...

carlnz

Bench
DIEHARD said:
I never said they had more pride than the Kangaroos, but it is a fact that some players would back out and opt for end of season surgery or a holiday. It is a fact that some players do not give the green and gold jersey the respect it deserves.

Just look at last year's squad.

I agree that the paying of them so much is grossly unnecessary and it could be spent in other areas.

But it is a HUGE thing for the Kiwis to turn their backs on the temptation of an Origin jersey and maybe a Roo jersey and then go on a tour with only daily allowances. In fact it sounds like something out of the 1930s.

I wonder if the Kiwis will be travelling to GB in a steam ship...

NZRL dony have much money, and most of i is going into the grass roots of the game, like the sponsor ship of Russia here at the start of the year and the Pacific Cup...

Though someone said their was no lack of pride in the green and gold jumper...It brings me something i saw on the ANZAC test...

All Aussie players just standing their, not singing their anthem...looking around...

Then the kiwis boys all side by side singing or crying during the athem was somthing special for me....Cant wait to see it again...better than those nice person rugby players.....

And at least we do the Haka better than the All Blacks!!

DIEHARD

----
Can anyone tell me are the New Zealand Kiwis sponsored?

The Lions have Gillette, Australia has Phillips. What do the Kiwis have?

I'm looking forward to seeing the Kiwi pride as well, just like at the Anzac test. I just hope our boys show our national pride. This just isn't another game.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team

Lion Red. In a nice small badge. Nothing smeared across the front of the white V. Unless something has changed, but i doubt it.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I think in a professional era the players should be paid for representing their country. I think the jersey will always be ahead of any financial benefits though.

A the start of the year players do not aim to make the Australian side for a 10, 000 dollar bonus. Besides the fact they have made it to international level probably means there club contract is upgraded anyway.

Iafeta

Referee
IanRitchie said:

Lion Red. In a nice small badge. Nothing smeared across the front of the white V. Unless something has changed, but i doubt it.

Didn't we have Konami as a sponsor also of the jersey? And perhaps Bartercard as a sleave sponsor?

yakstorm

First Grade
IanRitchie said:

For the Tri-Nations, the Lion Red badge has been replaced with the Tri-Nations logo and the Lion Red badges have been put on both sleeves. Still quite small, and don't ruin the look of the jersey.

yakstorm

First Grade
Here is a copy of the jersey

newzealandshirt.jpg

Iafeta

Referee
Either way, personally, if I was offered $10,000 for rep games for State or Australian against playing for New Zealand, they could even slice off my left testical and the tip of my old fella without any anasthetic whatsoever, I'd pick New Zealand hands down without any doubt. I've been here 5 years, but man, what an honour that would be. I'm sure the players feel the same, match payments would be nice, but this is the Kiwis man!

dimitri

First Grade
this is a disgrace

no wonder people like carroll and hunt are turning their backs on nz

:evil:

Le Rouge

Juniors
Personally i hope the kiwis smash Tonie Carroll like they have said they will try to do. :mrgreen:

He's an embarrassment. Once you've worn the Black there should be no turning back.

DIEHARD

----
I may be going for the Kangaroos but I hope Carroll gets smashed!

Poor bastard has no friends. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why the change in jersey from the Anzac test yakstorm? Are they going for a more traditional look?

AuckMel

Bench
A huge pat on the back for the players. They realise the NZRL have little money in the bank, but play because of the pride they have in playing for their country.

carlnz

Bench
playdaball said:
Shame that the ticket sales thus far are slow and the weather is not loooking too good.

When I bought my ticket the other day, the lady at the Mad Butcher told me she had bugger all tickets left!

It will be like last year, huge walk up crowed

DIEHARD

----
What is the capacity of the stadium? What was the crowd figure for last years game in NZ?

What is the likely turn up?

Latest posts