What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis coach

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9463747/Kearney-unsure-of-future-after-final-rout

Stephen Kearney needs time to decide whether he wants to continue as coach of the Kiwis.

His contract ran out after yesterday morning's 34-2 defeat to Australia in the World Cup final at Old Trafford

This makes it sound like Kearney's decision to make - if his contract has run out then wouldn't it be up to the NZRL to offer him another one??

Anyway, who would you like to see as Kiwis coach from 2014? The more important question is probably - what options do we have??

ozbash

Referee
The best one is managing a auto transmission shop in Silverdale,, the second best has just started work at the NZRL as a talent id person..

Tony Iro would be 3rd and Kidwell 4th.

Whoever the choice is, we need to at least consider bringing kidwell into the setup to groom him as a potential replacement in the future.

beefstew

Juniors
It has to be Bluey, surely he's tailor made for the Kiwi job, i mean one of his biggest perceived faults was that he's a great motivator in the short term, but not so good long term, which would suit the international job perfectly.

Rich102

Staff member
I can't see the NZRL being able to sell Bluey to the league public. Unless it's by the kilo.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Somebody that is more than just a motivator. Somebody that will try to innovate and transform the Kiwis attacking style, which is often ineffectual against Australia. Hasler would be my choice, but I doubt he'd be interested.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I know the coach probably has the final say (yeah right, in Kearneys case) but wasn't there a team of selectors? Where's the criticism of them? RB is an outright idiot imo...Who were the others, they're as responsible

Diesel

Referee
What's been overlooked since Kearney coached the Kiwis to the 2008 WC is his overall record from 2008-13 is shithouse.

Time to dump this guy.

Maguire would be excellent but can't see him coaching the Kiwis, not sure why it's just a hunch

Iafeta

Referee
We should have hired Sheens. Yep, I kid you not. A bloke whovearns his quid by writing sports article seriously suggedted Sheens, being a consistent coach lol, would be good for the Kiwis. My cat could have been a success coaching that Kangaroos squad.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Bluey McClennan doesn't want the job - http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9471473/Brian-McClennan-I-don-t-want-Kiwis-coach-job

Former Kiwis coach Brian McClennan has taken his name out of the running for the vacant role of coaching the national rugby league team - but believes whoever takes up the challenge needs to be a New Zealander.

"I've run my race - I'm not interested," McClennan told Fairfax Media.

Kearney, who has coached the Kiwis since 2008, must be given time to consider his options McClennan said, before adding that whoever follows the Broncos assistant coach needs to be a Kiwi.

"First and foremost, Stephen deserves the respect of being able to sit down and reflect on whether he wants to carry on forward," McClennan said.

"The fact of the matter is he has been the only coach of a New Zealand team to win a World Cup and Four Nations. Give him some time, and let him work out what he wants to do.

"We don't have a lot of New Zealand coaches, in the game [at the moment]. The game is getting more and more professional each year, too.

"There's been people crying out for this and that - and at times like this, you've got to take stock and think things over rationally. But I believe it should be a New Zealand coach."

LeagueNut

First Grade
And Kevin Tamati doesn't want any Aussies taking the job - http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9471483/No-Australian-coach-for-the-Kiwis-says-Tamati

Kevin Tamati would be appalled if an Aussie was appointed Kiwis head coach.

Since the Kiwis flopped 34-2 in last Sunday's World Cup final there have been calls for the New Zealand Rugby League to replace off-contract head coach Steve Kearney with an Australian.

Tamati, the ex-test forward who famously brawled with Kangaroo Greg Dowling at Brisbane's Lang Park in 1985, says he couldn't stomach the sight of an Ocker in charge of his beloved Kiwis.

"Yeah, well, right," Tamati retorted when asked if Kearney should be replaced by someone from across the Tasman.

"I will be totally Maori then. Without a doubt I am against it. I will be damned if I will support a team that had an Australian coach."

Having played 22 tests for the Kiwis between 1979-85, Tamati, now 60, feels strongly about the need for a New Zealander to be calling the shots.

Kearney, also an assistant at the Brisbane Broncos, has yet to decide if he will re-apply but that debacle at Old Trafford has done him few favours.

Tamati, who travelled to Europe to help with the preparation of the early stages of the Kiwis' campaign before returning to his Hawke's Bay home, was bitterly disappointed by the heavy loss.

"I knew after the first quarter that we weren't going to fire. I knew then we were going to be in trouble. And at halftime, well, I pretty much made a cup of tea and got ready to go back to bed."

The NZRL's problem is that if Kearney is not interested in re-applying there is a limited pool of top-notch New Zealand coaches to choose from.

Tamati's solution is to re-appoint Kearney and offer him better support behind the scenes.

"It is just a lack of experience and knowledge that Steve maybe hasn't got. Because if Steve gets the bin who else is in that arena?"

"Maybe he needs a bit more assistance in development. They need to look at how they can improve our coaching, rather than say he just lost a World Cup and now see you later. That ain't going to solve the problem."

Ex-Kiwis captain Mark Graham, who now lives in Queensland, wants to talk to NZRL chairman Scott Carter ( :shock: :shock: :shock: ) and believes the number of New Zealanders competing in the NRL means the Kiwis should be more competitive against the Aussies.

Like Graham, Tamati thought the Kiwis allowed the Kangaroos to assert their physical domination too easily in the final and both complimented the game plan and the execution of the Tim Sheens-coached side.

But Tamati was annoyed his countrymen were so easily smashed back by their opponents who repeatedly rushed-up and put pressure on kicker Shaun Johnson.

He rejected the notion they lacked mental toughness because competing in the NRL prepares them for the confrontational, pressure games.

"The psychological side of the preparation, watching from back here, was something I thought the boys lacked. To be as blatant as I possibly can, if it was me I would have gone out there and had a big punch-up but that is the days that have gone by.

"But now it is about rugby league skills against rugby league skills - it is not a brawling game."

Cold Roses

Juniors
We're kidding ourselves if we limit selection to Kiwi coaches only. I understand the pride aspect that these former Kiwi greats feel, but the reality is there aren't enough experienced options. The best thing we could do now, is to hire the best coach we can get, regardless of which nationality he is, and then include guys like Kidwell and Iro in the assistant roles to give them experience and keep a Kiwi 'flavour' in the mix.

I for one think Bennett could be swayed. It's time to build the team with the next World Cup in mind. If there's one thing Bennett always seems to be up for, it's a challenge. The big question would be fitting it in amongst his club and family commitments.

Micistm

Bench
Time for the matey matey boys club to be over. It simply isn't working consistantly well.
Time for some Aussie professionalism to be introduced.
IMO because we've won a couple of big games that happened to be titles over the past few years, the Kiwis are somewhat arrogant. Can't help but feel last weekends games is a good example, not enough respect for the Aussies, and the assumption the title is theirs of right. Take that tude and the Aussie team will give you a lesson in professionalism. Hence last weekend.

Latest posts