What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis coach

Micistm

Bench
You cannot help but feel the 'mates club' is also a noose in the Warriors club as well. IMO of course.

Skinner

Coach
Time for the matey matey boys club to be over. It simply isn't working consistantly well.
Time for some Aussie professionalism to be introduced.
IMO because we've won a couple of big games that happened to be titles over the past few years, the Kiwis are somewhat arrogant. Can't help but feel last weekends games is a good example, not enough respect for the Aussies, and the assumption the title is theirs of right. Take that tude and the Aussie team will give you a lesson in professionalism. Hence last weekend.

:clap::clap::clap:

We're kidding ourselves if we limit selection to Kiwi coaches only. I understand the pride aspect that these former Kiwi greats feel, but the reality is there aren't enough experienced options. The best thing we could do now, is to hire the best coach we can get, regardless of which nationality he is, and then include guys like Kidwell and Iro in the assistant roles to give them experience and keep a Kiwi 'flavour' in the mix.

I for one think Bennett could be swayed. It's time to build the team with the next World Cup in mind. If there's one thing Bennett always seems to be up for, it's a challenge. The big question would be fitting it in amongst his club and family commitments.

Exactly, limiting to Kiwi's is silly in a professional era. If a Aussie is the best, then so be it. (Please Wayne:D)

The other issue is that pre-season kicked off while this tournament was on (pretty sure it does when 4 nations is on as well), will a top NRL coach want the job?

Diesel

Referee
We're kidding ourselves if we limit selection to Kiwi coaches only. I understand the pride aspect that these former Kiwi greats feel, but the reality is there aren't enough experienced options. The best thing we could do now, is to hire the best coach we can get, regardless of which nationality he is, and then include guys like Kidwell and Iro in the assistant roles to give them experience and keep a Kiwi 'flavour' in the mix.

I for one think Bennett could be swayed. It's time to build the team with the next World Cup in mind. If there's one thing Bennett always seems to be up for, it's a challenge. The big question would be fitting it in amongst his club and family commitments.

Well said, I have to agree with your entire post and especially the first part

Diesel

Referee
Time for the matey matey boys club to be over. It simply isn't working consistantly well.
Time for some Aussie professionalism to be introduced.
IMO because we've won a couple of big games that happened to be titles over the past few years, the Kiwis are somewhat arrogant. Can't help but feel last weekends games is a good example, not enough respect for the Aussies, and the assumption the title is theirs of right. Take that tude and the Aussie team will give you a lesson in professionalism. Hence last weekend.

Hard to disagree and also about the Warriors comment in another post of yours.

The KIWIS don't need a NZer, they need the best possible person for the job

Cold Roses

Juniors
From the above article.

"Tamati reacted angrily earlier this week when it was suggested an Australian could coach the side, saying he wouldn't support the Kiwis if that was the case"

This is exactly the sort of reaction we DON'T need. If the NZ Rugby League fraternity needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the professional era then so be it. As much admiration as I have for some former players, their dinosaur type attitudes and sense of entitlement need to be f@$ked off if they can't show support to the guys currently representing the jersey.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
From the above article.

"Tamati reacted angrily earlier this week when it was suggested an Australian could coach the side, saying he wouldn't support the Kiwis if that was the case"

lol So he's showing his patriotism by not supporting his national side. Too many punches to the head.

ozbash

Referee
lol So he's showing his patriotism by not supporting his national side. Too many punches to the head.

I can understand it, don't necessarily agree with it.

Shame Howie didn't display the same righteousness when he selected Brent Webb and Fein for the Kiwis..

Rich102

Staff member
I can understand it, don't necessarily agree with it.

Shame Howie didn't display the same righteousness when he selected Brent Webb and Fein for the Kiwis..

It's Kevin, not Howie. Chalk & cheese.

Micistm

Bench
From the above article.

This is exactly the sort of reaction we DON'T need. If the NZ Rugby League fraternity needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the professional era then so be it. As much admiration as I have for some former players, their dinosaur type attitudes and sense of entitlement need to be f@$ked off if they can't show support to the guys currently representing the jersey.

Totally. It's the breaking up of the little mates group. They don't like the idea. And you're right, its a sense of entitlement, and desire to keep it as some little elite group. Time to move forward IMO