What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis In NYC

Blaze

Juniors
I know there is another thread on Islander talent in the NYC, but I am particuarly interested in which players in the NYC are eligible for NZ.

Just by going to offical team websites I have managed to nail down the following players:

Panthers: tinirau arona, jesse sene-lefao, sonny tuigamala, masada iosefa, joseph paulo, william isa, daniel penese, sam mckendry, junior tia-kilifi, zoram watene, onesemo tiatia

Broncos: arthur brown, shaun cotter, alex glenn, jared kahu, leon panapa, wiremu ratana, jacob samoa, luke samoa, william tupou

Roosters: anthony cherrington, antonio winterstein, dominique peyroux, galu teo, mark talanoa, mose masoe
Sea Eagles: kenny edwards, michael tiopira, kieran foran

Tigers: sioeli makaui, linton price, benson tupou

Eels: mase laulu togagae

Bulldogs: josh bishop, brendan hikaka, jeco makatoa, alvin matavao, mason pure, sene tala, arana taumata, martin taupau

Raiders: dj lokeni-purcell

Cowboys: leo faagutu, daniel vineula, darren tonihi, chippie korostchuck

Storm: kevin proctor, liam foran

The Sharks, Dragons, Titans, Knights, and Rabbitohs didn't have enough information on their websites for me to determine which players are eligible..

Also, I think I have missed some players from the teams already posted, as some clubs didn't have the place of birth of certain players...

roopy

Referee
Jason Schirnack, Manaia Osborne and Zane Tetavano for the Knights.
Schirnack is rapidly improving and close to our best.
Osborne is a junior kiwi hooker who has only been at the club for a few weeks and he is very unfit at the moment - but improving every game.

Harmony Hunt (the cousin of Kharmichael) had a decent season of SG Ball and might improve enough for NYC by the end of the year. It's been a steep learning curve for him, but he seems pretty talented.

The Titans have Sammy Stewart who is a junior Kiwi halfback and son of former Knights and NZ captain Sam Stewart.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
William Tupou,Centre for the Broncs is awesome, punishing defender.

Wonder what the go with is with Jared Waerea-Hargreaves? Read in an article once he wanted to play SOO for NSW one day. Hope we can get in his ear in the future.

kingdamo

Juniors
Osborne is a junior kiwi hooker who has only been at the club for a few weeks and he is very unfit at the moment - but improving every game.

Harmony Hunt (the cousin of Kharmichael) had a decent season of SG Ball and might improve enough for NYC by the end of the year. It's been a steep learning curve for him, but he seems pretty talented.

The Titans have Sammy Stewart who is a junior Kiwi halfback and son of former Knights and NZ captain Sam Stewart.

Interesting first name for a boy huh.

bluesrok

Juniors
Zane Tetevano...Yup he in Knights u20's squad.
All the way from Tokoroa NZ. Got contract last year with KNights in SG Ball now NYC. Has island dad and maori mum and he is an inspiring young man..he has a great big heart too and just an awesome bloke.
Hope to see him one day in the Kiwi jersey. He played for the Kiwi U16's for two years.Looking forward to him having a great 2009 season!!!!

kingwarriors

Juniors
My Kiwis Team

1.Kevin Locke-Great Fullback
2.Jordan Rapana-Great Leaper
3.Joesph Toemane-good soild player
4.Karl Filiga-next sonny bill
5.Patrick Ah Van-experinace
6.Aarana Taumata-Good Five Eight
7.Eddie Paea-Experiance
8.Russel Packer-New Zealand Version Of Steven Price
9.Masada Ioseffa-Benji Playing Hooker
10.Sam McKendry-Civonaceva Of New Zealand
11.Daniel Penese-Good Defender And is quick
12.Ben Matulino-Great Hitter Next Sonny Bill Aswell
13.Anthony Cherrington-Anthony Tupou Sort Of Player

14.Aaron Pawley-Ian Henderson Type Good Dummy Half
15.Jared Waerera Hargeaves-Great Impact Of The Bench
16.Jake Makerrto-Good Up and comming player
17.Sonny Fai-R.I.P

dubopov

Coach
Marketo played for Aust schoolboys .. was from Redcliffe High .. His father, I think, is Mark who played for Balmain in the Mid 80's.

Tom155

Coach

Hey do you know what happened to william tupou from the knights i heard he was forced to retire can you confirm this?

The Observer

Staff member
Does anybody know how many and/or who of these players actually played their junior footy in NZ i.e are products of NZRL?

Sione Kaivelata from the rabbitohs is one i can think off, from the top of my head. we lured him from union where he was dubbed the next Jonah Lomu. He is a big lump of a lad, standing at 198cm and 114kg on the scales. I suspect he will play second row once he sheds a few kg's.

Polo

Juniors
Sam Brunton played SG Ball for the Roosters last season and will likely pick up a NYC contract. Played all his junior footy in NZ and first XV rugby until he left school. Got picked up by the Roosters around a year later.

Last edited:

isaiah

Bench
Leon Panapa? jeez has he actually played NYC? Didn't think he was of that standard.

i'm not surprised, saw him play in a trail 2 years ago for wynnum colts v tweed colts [they would go on to win the brl colts comp] and his team was flogged but he was the class player on either side. tweed boasted 3 or 4 aust schoolboys who had just toured, shannon walker, chris sandow, someone else?
i thought he would play more nyc last season

Latest posts