What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis in the Roos, Blues & Maroons team .......

Sparky 74

Juniors
Like everyone else i think i'm a little pissed with the kiwi/pacific islander or non aussie being selected in the NSW, QLD & roos sides.

Yes everyone whats to play S.O.O footy as it is the best of the best.
So this has me thinking of what should be done.

Option 1: a Tri Series comp being NZ vs QLD vs NSW (all NRL based players)

or

Option 2: over a weekend of footy

Game 1: Friday Night - South Island NZ vs North Island NZ (Their own S.O.O footy played in NZ

Game 2: Pacific Island vs Team Europe
what i mean here is PI team will be selected from players from tonga, samoa, fiji, png & cook islands & ROTW team will be players from say Lebanon,Italy, Malta, Greece & UK again all NRL based players.
(this wil be played on a Saturday)

Game 3: S.O.O played on a Sunday afternoon

there will be 3 games played over a 6 week period on thses weeks there will be no NRL weekly footy games. These weeks can be the bye weeks to which no team gets points as it is a bye week.

or

Option 3:

If you play in the NRL for more than say 3 years you can play in the S.O.O if you are not aussie born.

JamesBrandy

Juniors
I definitely think the non-aussies shouldn't be allowed to play for Australia. State of Origin I'm still in two minds about.

They really need to just harden the hell up on the elegibility rules. Everybody whinges about Greg Inglis playing for Qld....but then we're picking Fijians and Kiwis!

gUt

Coach
I like the thought of something like your Option 2 if it gives RL the chance to have a carnival type weekend.

Good luck getting the clubs and admin bodies to agree.

hellteam

First Grade
The key is somehow making the Aus vs NZ rivalry as compelling (and money earning) as Origin is.

Nightward

Juniors
Solution is simple, and would serve to strengthen NZ in the long run.

Play either a North Island/South Island Origin game, or an NZ Origin/Islander Origin game. The latter seems to have the most potential; a combined Pacific Islander team against NZ players would have the same basic ingredients from the original State of Origin concept. And since NZ has the time zone difference, you can even have them play it the same night State of Origin is on, televising it before the match here for additional Rugby League coverage.

hutch

First Grade
People emigrate to Australia from all over the world. Some of these people are from new Zealand. Some of these people play rugby league and progress through the grades. Most kiwi born or kiwi heritage players still play for NZ, some play for their new country. People need to get over it!

Tamou is a bit different as he was in the NZ train on squad but he meets all of the criteria and the decision is entirely up to him.

Rogue.9

Juniors
I am happy for Kiwis to play origin if they made their debut in Australia. At least it will stop Australia from stealing all the Kiwis players.

Which country are they a citizen of?

If both your parents were born in another country and you were born in Australia, and lived in Australia, learnt footy in Australia;In my opinion you cannot call yourself a citizen of another country. The same if the word 'Australia' in that sentence could be any other nominated country. No matter where your forefathers have come from, if you were born in a country, have lived there and learnt footy there, I would hold the view that particular country is the only one anyone could justify nominating as the country they play for. None of this: my great grand mother is English so I'll play for England.

That type of example is cut and dried, in my opinion.

Cloudier, is the situation where your parents are from another country and you came with them to live in Australia permanently,without gaining Australian citizenship and learnt your footy here. You would officially not be a citizen of Australia,yet the place where you grew up and the place where you choose to live is Australia. Maybe, you could nominate for Australia. Potentially you could nominate for the country of which you were still a citizen, but which you cannot remember or possibly have never visited. My thoughts are that in that instance you could nominate for Australia but only be selected if you were prepared to become an Australian citizen. You'd have to throw your hat in the ring. You say that you're an Aussie, then put your money where your mouth is.

The situation that I don't feel happy about are those ones where the individual was born in another country,spent the majority of their life there, came to Australia to high school and to play footy which they were doing previously in the land of birth. I don't care that their first senior game was in Australia.They were born elsewhere, they came here as footy players having lived the entirety of their lives up to that point outside of Australia and are still citizens of that country. They are ineligible to play for Australia and State of Origin (in my opinion). Neither Australia nor NSW nor QLD should be able to choose those individuals.

How about that last category who decide to become Australian citizens?

I respect naturalisation,however I feel that if that individual has played ONE game for his former country at national level, DESPITE having taken Australian citizenship after that time, The individual has already aligned himself with another country in sport and cannot change horses midstream.

So, to sum up:

In the case of the grey areas, the decision must be made Do you wish to become an Australian?. If so(meaning taking Australian citizenship), you have to execute that decision prior to playing in another national team for any sport. No wearing one teams national colours at one instance then swapping over even if you subsequently desire to become an Australian citizen. By all means, become an Australian citizen if you so desire, but you will be bound by your choices when you nominate for any particular country as a sportsman, and there can be no turning-back once you have played for any particular country.

Kiwimation

Juniors
NZ used to be part of NSW before it got its independance so I say Let kiwi players who have been in one NRL club for over say 2 year play for NSW. Hell they need the boost. SOO has turned into a bit of a joke with Queensland always winning.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Which country are they a citizen of?

If both your parents were born in another country and you were born in Australia, and lived in Australia, learnt footy in Australia;In my opinion you cannot call yourself a citizen of another country. The same if the word 'Australia' in that sentence could be any other nominated country. No matter where your forefathers have come from, if you were born in a country, have lived there and learnt footy there, I would hold the view that particular country is the only one anyone could justify nominating as the country they play for. None of this: my great grand mother is English so I'll play for England.

The Federal Gov has a differing view on this. If both your parents are citizens of a foreign country, you are not automatically a citizen of Australia regardless of whether you were born here or not. You have to go through the same procedures to gain citizen ship as everyone else who has immigrated here from a foreign land.

Kiwimation

Juniors
The Federal Gov has a differing view on this. If both your parents are citizens of a foreign country, you are not automatically a citizen of Australia regardless of whether you were born here or not. You have to go through the same procedures to gain citizen ship as everyone else who has immigrated here from a foreign land.

Both my wife and I are kiwis, Came here to work and had a little girl. She is and Australian. No red tape very simple process. In fact it was easyer to make her an Australian citizen Than a New Zealand citizen.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Really? Not the story I got from 2 Kiwis who work with me

Still, its not an automatic process and your daughter was regarded as a Kiwi citizen before yeah?

Kiwimation

Juniors
Really? Not the story I got from 2 Kiwis who work with me

Still, its not an automatic process and your daughter was regarded as a Kiwi citizen before yeah?

Yea bit more info. Just talked to my wife. I forgot she lived here before the cut off date, When they changed the visas. Think she said about 2001. So that meant my girl could become an aussie automaticly. Same should be for my son who is due an a few weeks. And apparently Her and myself through marrage can become aussies without going through all the paperwork if we wanted to. SO for your mates it could be very different.
Either way when my kids grow up the dinner table could have some very intresting league disscussions :) (is it illegal to ground your kids when austraila beat New Zealand???)

I was not aware of this.

That legislative requirement might be something that I thought might apply to temporary visas, asylum seekers, other itinerant part time residents who were born elsewhere etc. My mis-impression was that if your parents were permanent residents, and you were born here, that you were born an Aussie. I'll take your word for it that my impression was ill founded.

Of course, my viewpoint would never be adopted as the rule. Mainly because it would prevent us from utilising at the national level the sport talent of any sportsperson from another nation, that we had designs on poaching from that nation for the advantage of our national team. The realities are what they are. There will always arise instances where our national team( in whatever field of sport) would leap at the chance to sign-up an outstanding talent from another country, in order to secure wins for our nation.

I entertain no delusions that any sporting body would permanently cut themselves off from the possibility of exercising that option.

hutch

First Grade
I am happy for Kiwis to play origin if they made their debut in Australia. At least it will stop Australia from stealing all the Kiwis players.

Australia doesn't steal all of the kiwi players. There have been a few with dual eligibility who have chosen Australia, most choose NZ.

drake

First Grade
Simple test; just say "hey bro"
Those that answer "hee broo" play for the kiwis.

I would have no issue with a player of any nationality who played his first senior game in NSW or QLD being eligible for SOO in the respective state. Pride in heritage can be followed and still play origin.

And don't tell me a kiwi or any other foreign born person couldn't play passionately for their state of origin.
If that was criteria, Inglis would be last picked.