What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis Squad

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
...On a side note, I have mixed feelings about guys like Maumalo and Papali'i being picked. If they decide it's where their heart lies, then good on them. But I'd hate to see them jumping back to Samoa just because they aren't being selected in the Kiwi side...
If those guys go back to play for Samoa then all the best BUT it does make me think that those guys are only here for the money and thats pretty sour. Yes they're all getting paid and thats a big part of it but after what we've been through with the Kidwell disaster, players leaving us because they dont make the cut is the last thing we need right now, especially now that we're rebuilding from that.

JJ

Immortal
I actually think with

DWZ- outstanding at FB for Penrith
Rapana - elite winger
Manu- boom centre of 2018
Marsters- boom centre at least of early 2018 and excellent in Denver
Isaako- stand out rookie of the year
Nikorima- regular starter in the halves for Brisbane
Johnson- Johnson

You have one of the better backlines we have assembled for an end of season test in a while, even without RTS

Generally we end up with at least 1 or 2 fringe players in the backline and some sort of shambles in the halves, this time we have players in their proper positions who are all between "good" and "elite" at NRL level
Yep, RTS is a monster, but it's great that we don't actually miss him that much as DWZ is pretty good. Rapana is a star, and Manu, Marsters and Isaako have big futures.

Big questions over the halves (and will miss an in form Luke), but less so in one off games I guess, and the pack will do well against anyone, especially if they leave Blair out

Matua

Bench
Opening up a major can of worms, but.....

The Kiwis are looking more and more like an NZ Maori side. There are a few players of Samoan heritage and ZERO Tongans.

I find this quite fascinating since we all know that Samoans and Tongans are pretty dominant in local league ranks and make up possibly the majority of NZ-born players who get NRL contracts overall.
So who are the PI's who missed out to Maori players in this team selected by an Australian?

shinobi

Juniors
So who are the PI's who missed out to Maori players in this team selected by an Australian?

Interested to know as well. Perhaps the reality is the Maori players are the ones keen to put their hand up and represent Aotearoa while the island heritage players are less so?

Matua

Bench
Interested to know as well. Perhaps the reality is the Maori players are the ones keen to put their hand up and represent Aotearoa while the island heritage players are less so?
TBH, I actually just think we're in a weird period where there are lots of good Maori players around and less PI's than normally.

I think the Warriors make up in the past has made it look like PIs overly dominate because for years they were filled with PIs and had few Maori (whereas recently they've bought in a bunch of Maori first graders in Luke, Beale, Harris, Hiku etc). I've got Maori friends who thought the Warriors actively avoided signing Maori players through much of their history.

Leber

Bench
Sadly, I can't see anything other than a west Island win I'm afraid.

Interesting times where the Tongan game will probably draw more attention that the kiwis game.

Blair

Coach
Sadly, I can't see anything other than a west Island win I'm afraid.

Interesting times where the Tongan game will probably draw more attention that the kiwis game.

If we promote 'international league' then we must promote Tonga. That also involves some Australian/NZ born and raised Tongans choosing to play for Tonga as their first choice.

Whilst uncomfortable with the way some of them have gone about that (most notably JT2) I've accepted their position, and am looking forward to the Tonga v Roos test.

With the Kiwis in the doldrums I've also got some interest again in seeing some 'pride' back in our jersey. An exciting NZ win, and a heavy Tongan loss, could see this interesting situation we have now (Tonga 'awesome', Kiwis 'suck') quickly reversed. Fans are fickle, even passionate Tongans I reckon!

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
I ducked into my local for a look at the 'great race' and, lo and behold, who should walk in as I was walking out but the guys from Autex. The owner, Ray, had taken a half dozen or so of them on a 'team-bonding' weekend to Bathurst.

They were in Warriors gear and I had a great time with them. Good guys, I reckon. They really appreciated meeting a Warriors fan in the middle of nowhere (Katoomba NSW) and we talked NZ league, and they knew members of my Whanau (Bernie and Trevor Wood, who worked for Autex for many years).

It's a 'learning curve' for some of them (they said that, guys who had no real league background) but I told them most people from this forum were pretty relieved Autex got on board, due to the company's history with our game.

I got a tequila shot too, which I tried to avoid (but couldn't) as it was too early in the afternoon.

Unlike Greg Inglis, they had a designated driver. Which is good as they were really partying hard, and on the same highway where Inglis was caught. With the Bathurst 1000 on the place is crawling with cops!

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade

Blair

Coach
NAS is just a big loss. That kills my hopes even more. Its like stabbing a week old corpse.

Then again, were always go in expecting to lose against the aussies. I forgot about looking on the bright side.

I had respect for big Nelson last year, when he was so passionate in the Kiwi haka, eye-balling all those defectors! That's pride in the jersey for me.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I had respect for big Nelson last year, when he was so passionate in the Kiwi haka, eye-balling all those defectors! That's pride in the jersey for me.
I believe he is currently the best prop in the world. He played his heart out for us but he didnt have another forward playing a supporting role, he was our only stand out metre eater.

Meth

Staff member
Kiwis team: 1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (c), 2. Ken Maumalo, 3. Esan Marsters, 4. Joseph Manu, 5. Jordan Rapana, 6. Shaun Johnson, 7. Kodi Nikorima, 8. Jesse Bromwich, 9. Brandon Smith, 10. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, 11. Kevin Proctor, 12. Isaac Liu, 13. James Fisher-Harris
Interchange: 14. Kenny Bromwich, 15. Leeson Ah Mau, 16. Martin Taupau, 17. Adam Blair, 18 Peta Hiku, 19. Jahrome Hughes

DWZ captain.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Big surprises for me are no Isaako and no Tapine.

Nothing against DWZ who had a good season, but he really seems to have been a bit of a "chosen one" in the Kiwis set up since day 1, hasn't he? I remember in 2014 they picked an 18 year old DWZ over Manu Vatuvei who was in just about career-best form (which he only got to show because DWZ got injured). Also thought DWZ had a terrible world cup.

Anyway, good luck to him, he must have the right attitude.

JJ

Immortal
DWZ is a surprise, be better without Blair in the 17 - but overall I like it a lot, and it's an old chestnut but putting SJ in the 6 is good, although be better if we had a 7