What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis Squad

Mighty Ape Man

Juniors
Kiwis: Gerard Beale, Leeson Ah Mau, Adam Blair, Jahrome Hughes*, Jamayne Isaako, Jesse Bromwich, Shaun Johnson, Joseph Manu*, Esan Marsters, Ken Maumalo, Kodi Nikorima, Jordan Rapana, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kenneath Bromwich, James Fisher-Harris, Isaac Liu, Isaiah Papali'i*, Kevin Proctor, Brandon Smith*, Joseph Tapine, Martin Taupau, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Corey Harawira-Naera*

* Debutantes

Matua

Bench
So who plays hooker with no Luke?

Nikorima? Brandon Smith?

One more player to be named with NAS unavailable (injury)
Nikorima will have to play in the halves looking at that squad - there's only Johnson and Hughes as halves contenders and Hughes couldn't start for his club in the business end of the season.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
That team doesnt look it will put bums on seats. Everyone will have to sit facing the cameras to make the stadium look packed.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Who else where they to pick?
Yeah fair point. Still, you look at that team, and theres no Luke, no RTS, no NAS. I look at the backs and I dont see try scoring machines. We got Issako but come on...come on...really? we aint got no speed in the backs (yes I said it) and it just looks like the Roos are going to have a field day.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
From that bunch, I'd assemble this team...

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Joseph Manu
4. Esan Marsters
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Jahrome Hughes
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Kodi Nikorima
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joseph Tapine
12. Kevin Proctor
13. Isaac Liu

14. Brandon Smith
15. James Fisher-Harris
16. Leeson Ah Mau
17. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Miss out: Gerard Beale, Adam Blair, Ken Maumalo, Kenneath Bromwich, Isaiah Papali'i, Corey Harawira-Naera.

Blair

Coach
When was the last time we played at Mt Smart? It's a great leap of faith for our premier league venue, and heartland.

Burns

First Grade
When was the last time we played at Mt Smart? It's a great leap of faith for our premier league venue, and heartland.
Last year, against Samoa in the World Cup.

Is Manu the the first decent centre in forever? That's always been the weakest position. Manu bested Inglis in the Preliminary, and has been in general beast mode all year.

Marsters played well in the Denver Test, as did DWZ.

If RTS and Tohu Harris had been fit, would be even money odds against Australia I think.

Blair

Coach
Christ on a bike, Fusitua's playing for Tonga. Of course, we know this, but it's just hit home to me now that the WC hype is over.

They can have Kata.

JJ

Immortal
Is Manu the the first decent centre in forever? That's always been the weakest position. Manu bested Inglis in the Preliminary, and has been in general beast mode all year.

Marsters played well in the Denver Test, as did DWZ.

Obviously he's hurt, but I've always liked Whare - centre has become a funny position though, since Jamie Lyon I am not sure there's been a really good traditional one anywhere - but historically we've been pretty well served there I think

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Obviously he's hurt, but I've always liked Whare - centre has become a funny position though, since Jamie Lyon I am not sure there's been a really good traditional one anywhere - but historically we've been pretty well served there I think
If Whare was a regular line breaker he'd be one of our best. His attack isn't bad it's just not enough for my liking. Sets up his winger better than most and doesn't make errors.

No problems with his defence.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Opening up a major can of worms, but.....

The Kiwis are looking more and more like an NZ Maori side. There are a few players of Samoan heritage and ZERO Tongans.

I find this quite fascinating since we all know that Samoans and Tongans are pretty dominant in local league ranks and make up possibly the majority of NZ-born players who get NRL contracts overall.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I actually think with

DWZ- outstanding at FB for Penrith
Rapana - elite winger
Manu- boom centre of 2018
Marsters- boom centre at least of early 2018 and excellent in Denver
Isaako- stand out rookie of the year
Nikorima- regular starter in the halves for Brisbane
Johnson- Johnson

You have one of the better backlines we have assembled for an end of season test in a while, even without RTS

Generally we end up with at least 1 or 2 fringe players in the backline and some sort of shambles in the halves, this time we have players in their proper positions who are all between "good" and "elite" at NRL level

ozenzud

Juniors
Unfortunately, 10-20 points loss to Oz. Oz won't be the same without Smith, Thurston and Cronk, but still very formidable forwards with pace to burn from 1 to 23.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade

The Kiwis are looking more and more like an NZ Maori side. There are a few players of Samoan heritage and ZERO Tongans.

I find this quite fascinating since we all know that Samoans and Tongans are pretty dominant in local league ranks and make up possibly the majority of NZ-born players who get NRL contracts overall.
It doesnt matter if the kiwis look like a NZ Maoris side, thats all good. What does matter is how they're prepared and TREATED. We don't need Kidwell trying to remind them of maori culture when they from NZ. Its like an eskimo teaching other eskimos about snow. McGuire is going to do something different, he's gonna prepare them for league and focus only on league. How amazing is that!!

Cold Roses

Juniors

Don't think it's controversial in any way tbh. We have a good core of talented young Maori players at the moment. Joseph Tapine, Joseph Manu, Tohu Harris, Fisher-Harris, Harawira-Naera, Brandon Smith, Nikorima, Hughes, TMM etc. etc. It makes sense to form the core of a team from these young guys, in the knowledge that they aren't going to be flip flopping on us any time in a hurry as far as tier 1 / tier 2 selection goes. Add in others like NAS, Tapau, RTS, DWZ who may have a possible link to nations like Samoa, but seem like they are genuinely committed to the Kiwi Jersey, and we're looking safe as far selection stability goes. The key is making all the players feel that they are part of the 'Kiwi' team, regardless of their or their parents heritage. Kidwell took things too far with his focus on Maori culture. The team needs to embrace the background of all players. It seems like maybe this possibly made guys like SST, Taumalolo and Fus feel excluded from the core culture of the team?

On a side note, I have mixed feelings about guys like Maumalo and Papali'i being picked. If they decide it's where their heart lies, then good on them. But I'd hate to see them jumping back to Samoa just because they aren't being selected in the Kiwi side. That serves no purpose to anyone. We've already pinched Faitala-Mariner from Samoa this year, and already he's no where to be seen. Maybe because of injury, I'm not actually sure, but that's the sort of situation I'd like to see avoided. Playing one test then never to be seen again unless it's for a lower tier nation. I want to see a core group of guys committed to the cause, and all competing for positions for the next World Cup.

Latest posts