Kiwis v Tonga

Discussion in 'International' started by Panther_Daz, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Matua

Matua Juniors

Yeah, I think the Kiwi pack is being slightly underrated leading into this game - I mean Jesse Bromwich is so good they select his little brother just to keep him happy (that has to be the reason right?).

Basically the Kiwis need to be the Kangaroos in a Kiwi v Roos match. Absorb the big pack in the middle and then cut them up on the edges.

2. Burns

Burns First Grade

Kinda feel like Tonga need to win otherwise their momentum might start to fade.

Loss against England was a pretty convincing loss until they did the miracle comeback in 2017 WC. They beat a pretty eh Samoa last year, and failed to fire against Australia in Auckland.

If they get lapped by New Zealand, what odds the same happens against Australia and Great Britain later in the year?

3. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

I think an NZ win fires up the rivalry a bit more.
    The Kiwi public need a bit of confidence in their team, need to know that they can still win big games even after the defection saga.

4. Burns

Burns First Grade

Hmm.

Guess it needs to be “Origin” like - close games with big hits and amazing tries.

Pls don’t be a blow out.

5. Matua

Matua Juniors

I want it to be a huge blow out - to the Kiwis of course. I want ever Kiwis game to be like that.

6. Clarkent

Clarkent Juniors

He's father just got diagnosed with cancer 2 months ago and he hasn't got long to go... And his dream was always to see he's son play for Samoa I think that's a pretty good reason to go and play for Samoa... And Isaako said he's not ruling out a return to the kiwi Jersey he's just doing this for his dad before he's time comes up... Relax man

RedVee, Irish-bulldog and Iafeta like this.
  7. Matua

Matua Juniors

Did you read my post, I don't have an issue with the reason he wants to play for Samoa.

Why should I relax when I think we've got fundamental issues with a system that allows players to change teams on the eve of a world cup?

adamkungl likes this.
  8. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

I'm hesitant to drag the conversation back to eligibility discussions as I am in favour of the current rule, but I think they could make some changes to make it less messy.

Keep the rule that allows switching between t1 and t2, and leave the nations in current tiers for the forseeable future.
    BUT
    1. Remove swapping between tier 2 nations. There's no need for this. While the multiculturalism of the sport should be celebrated, it stretches legitimacy too far to have players representing 3 (or more) nations.
    2. Players should declare their preferred eligiblity 4 weeks before the first test match is played in a year, and not allowed to swap mid-year. Eg. "1. Tonga, 2. New Zealand". This information should be publicly visible, selectors and fans should be absolutely clear who is available, and defections shouldn't happen during OR AFTER squads have been chosen. Pretty ridiculous situation.

RedVee and Matua like this.
  9. shinobi

shinobi Juniors

Benji and Isaac Luke should have always been around the Kiwis squad as they have always showed passion and commitment for the black jersey.

10. Matua

Matua Juniors

Why is he getting hate on FB? For saying he's going to stay playing for his country? :rolleyes:

11. shinobi

shinobi Juniors

Same reason James Tamou, Quade Cooper get hate from Maori. its coming mainly from aussie and kiwi Samoans. We just love to hate on our own.

12. titoelcolombiano

titoelcolombiano Bench

Wow! that is quite a Samoan side if they were to assemble at full (eiligibility) strength. I wonder if SBW will finish his career in league. I remember him saying once that he would be happy to represent Samoa too.

13. Clarkent

Clarkent Juniors

Exactly bro... Just idiots on fb hating him

Matua likes this.
  14. Panther_Daz

Panther_Daz Moderator Staff Member

I would love to see SBW play for Samoa and Folau for Tonga at the next RLWC.

titoelcolombiano likes this.
  15. titoelcolombiano

titoelcolombiano Bench

If the current squads were bolstered by those two in 2021 it would be the all time GOAT lineups for both.

16. Panther_Daz

Panther_Daz Moderator Staff Member

It will help sell tickets as well. Both players would be known in England.

titoelcolombiano likes this.
  17. Matua

Matua Juniors

I would prefer SBW to play for the Kiwis (if he was up to it) but would support him playing for Samoa.

If the loon religious bigot was selected for Tonga they'd go from a team that annoys me due to the defections to one I dislike as much as the kangaroos.

18. Matua

Matua Juniors

I don't think those two examples are really the same TBH.

Cooper doesn't get hate because he plays for Oz, but because he had cheap shots at McCaw back when he was the god of NZ rugby. Tamou deserves hit because he played for the Maori, talked up being a NZer, was with the Kiwis and then ditched to play origin.

19. Clarkent

Clarkent Juniors

Honestly if it wasn't for origin most of those players wouldn't be playing for the kangaroos like kalyn ponga, Josh Papalii and the other kiwi players that used to play origin

20. Matua

Matua Juniors

Fifita is out of the test - you don't get protected at the judiciary when you don't play for Oz or Origin anymore Andrew.

Shoulder Charge and Coastbloke like this.