What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights 2008 Season Preview

Frederick

Staff member
2008 Season Previews - Knights

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 9:16 AM

The year 2007 was one to forget for the Novocastrians because once Andrew Johns retired early in the season everything went downhill.

They managed to finish the year on a high by winning their last two games and avoid the wooden spoon, but you would have to think that the Knights would like to put 2007 behind them and focus on their 2008 campaign.

The 2008 season will be like a clean slate for the Knights as it is the first true year of the post-Joey era and the fortunes of the team will lie with Jarrod Mullen and Luke Walsh, who, along with Corey Paterson, are leading the Newcastle revival.

Coach Brian Smith will enter his second year at the helm and with major roster changes - including several players moving across from the Dragons - the Knights will bare little resemblance to the side who played in 2007.

To hear what’s happening up in Newcastle, catch our Newcastle Knights 2008 season preview as our man Russell Barwick chats to Knights coach Brian Smith about the Knights' plans for 2008 and the on-going revolution at the club as they move from established veterans to young up-and comers.

The remaining club previews will be published each Wednesday and Thursday, with Russell Barwick tracking down head coach of each club for a discussion of the club's ins-and-outs, off-season training and expectations for the upcoming season.

Here's the video:
http://bigpondvideo.com/nrl/42162

Sober

Juniors
There were only 25 rounds this year because each team only had 1 bye.

Most of my mates go for Newcastle, and I reckon your team will go alright next year, between 8th and 5th.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Yeah we didn't win our last two games, but we won the last round 26-24 against the Tigers

The Camden Leisure Pirate said:
Just a phone interview with Smithy.

He starts by saying they learnt a lot of lesions in 07, hard year but everyone keens as for 08.

New roster, club needed it. They wanted most size, strength, pace and versatility. Smith is confident that that's what the new blokes will bring.

Key player is Ben Cross, Smith spoke to Bellemy and Bellemy said that and i quote
“He is the Business." Smith very excited about the attitude Cross will bring on and off the field.

Wes was mentioned as Winger/Centre/Fullback and goal kicker.

Huston - 80 minute man frontrow and backrow. From what Smith was saying I think he'll play more frontrow.

He called Beds, Simmo, Gidley and Mullen the "backbone" of the team.

Also mention the great season for the young blokes : Patto, Vuna, McMannus and Seu Seu. So Terry looks like he'll still be a factor in 08.

Then Barwick mention Patto as the next big thing and Smith tried to play in down a bit.

But said he is 109kgs and in the gym everyday, big things from him.

Smith had a hard year last year but he's a coach and that's what happens.

He wants us to improve into the Fine, strong we can be.

Much more was metioned but I'm hung-over and should be working..... But I must say
I got a little tingle in the neck. Bring on 08.

Jono078

Referee
Yeh I saw Patto on the news, he was looking huge, although fat-huge...

I guess they just told him to eat up and now we have a few months to turn it into muscle.

I beleive Mason is only around the 105 mark, so Paterson anywhere between 102-110 sounds decent I guess.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Jono078 said:
Yeh I saw Patto on the news, he was looking huge, although fat-huge...

I guess they just told him to eat up and now we have a few months to turn it into muscle.

I beleive Mason is only around the 105 mark, so Paterson anywhere between 102-110 sounds decent I guess.

Mason 105kg??? WTF!!!

The blokes about 2 metres tall! He was weighed on the footy show a couple of years ago and weighed in at a more understandable 120kg

Smithy mentioned we now have size and speed across the park which, let's be frank, we haven't had for years. One can only imagine how we would kick serious a### if Joey had these new recruits around him. Too bad the salary cap and his retirement make that impossible. I am sure our boys are going to go close next year.

Jono078

Referee
Bring it home Knights said:
Mason 105kg??? WTF!!!

The blokes about 2 metres tall! He was weighed on the footy show a couple of years ago and weighed in at a more understandable 120kg

Hmm, you are right, Bulldogs site says 114kg...

I swear I read he was 105 in one of the Big League season guide things that come out in pre-season.

Latest posts