What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights 2021/22 Off-Season

Jono078

Referee
It will be very disappointing if Bailey Hodgson does not stake some sort of claim for a starting 13 berth. The same with Dom. If they do then keeping KP will be a whole lot easier. You cannot hold it against KP of this side does not advance beyond last season’s finish and he decides to leave. If Best, Hodgson and Young are as good as we hope then IMO Ponga stays.
IF (massive IF) they are as good as we hope - do we need Ponga on 1m+ a season?

Also I think AOB needs to experiment with it a little this off-season, just see what Ponga in the halves looks like with Hodgson at the back.

Jono078

Referee
This is on Youtube right now

I remember being so excited for this game.. The return of Johns after another potential missed premiership in 03 due to injuries.. This was a statement game to kick-off the season and show we're still contenders and got me super excited for the 2004 season.. for a few weeks anyway 😒

Old dog

Juniors
So if we talk up Ponga as a 5/8 then why not Hodgson to 5/8 and Ponga stays f/b.
Me realistically would like to see 1 Ponga, 6 Clifford, 7 Clune/Crosslands, 9 Randall, 14 Mann.

Old dog

Juniors
On the side if we are looking at surviving 5-6 months of Brailey gone then slotting him in at 9 we are having our self’s on, any game he plays will be a bonus but match fitness and table situation will be critical If we ain’t in semi position when Brailey returns we are stuffed for next season, I am happy with Randall but we are a injury away from season end. We need to sign a player or two to cover 6; 7 and 9 NOW if we are to make the 8, forget the f/b situation, forget the 13 situation, forget the need for a second row what we need is a 6, 7 and 9, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad otherwise we are in position 9-12 on table

Knight Tales

Juniors
IF (massive IF) they are as good as we hope - do we need Ponga on 1m+ a season?

Also I think AOB needs to experiment with it a little this off-season, just see what Ponga in the halves looks like with Hodgson at the back.
I’d be happy to keep Ponga on that money as long as he returns on the investment. Whether a 6 or a 1. Hodgson seems to be a real find for us. I know it is only in glimpses but he looks every bit a game changer. For me KP at 6 and Bailey at 1 could be a
Killer combination with time. Let us hope. Then we can find ourselves some gun edge running backrowers to compliment Friz.

That's what I used to think but recently, I've begun to think it's not true.

The modern fullback is all about workload. They support every play, they are expected to make 200m plus a game and that's on top of all their defensive duties (including coaching from the back). The modern fullback is Tedesco, Turbo, Mitchell, that Parra lad. It's all about having superhuman levels of physical stamina and workload. That's not Ponga. I think it's draining too much energy from Ponga's game and reducing his effectiveness.

I think if he plays at 6, he doesn't need to stick to the left like halves did a decade ago. He should roam left and right and try to get the ball in his hands at least 3 times every set, even if it's just to pass it along to a forward. Also, defensively, his workload would be reduced dramatically, which should help him use more energy in attack.

You don't think so?
Sorry bro but youre way off the mark here.

5/8 is far heavier on defence than fullback and 5/8s have far less freedom to roam the ruck. What you describe in your second paragraph is exactly how Ponga plays right now from fullback, as most do in the modern game. He plats a lot at second and even first receiver.

I also had a chuckle when you linked "super human levels of stamina" to Latrell Mitchell

And just on B.Hodgson, whats going to be key for the kid is getting some, if not a lot, of NSWCup time under his belt to build some form and actually get the coaching staff interested in picking him for NRL. The last 2 years has seen young prospects in the comp as a whole suffer because "reserve grade" has been essentially offline for the entire time in NSW.

He could be a Reece Walsh and have 3-4 games in reggies and never look back but id not want to bank on that just yet

Yosh

Coach
Sorry bro but youre way off the mark here.

5/8 is far heavier on defence than fullback and 5/8s have far less freedom to roam the ruck. What you describe in your second paragraph is exactly how Ponga plays right now from fullback, as most do in the modern game. He plats a lot at second and even first receiver.

I also had a chuckle when you linked "super human levels of stamina" to Latrell Mitchell

I don't mind agreeing to disagree. I don't see how densively fullback is less demanding that six. Fullback might make less tackles a game but tackling is one aspect of defense.

If you don't mind, please explain how playing six requires more defense than playing fullback?

I don't mind agreeing to disagree. I don't see how densively fullback is less demanding that six. Fullback might make less tackles a game but tackling is one aspect of defense.

If you don't mind, please explain how playing six requires more defense than playing fullback?
5/8s make more tackles. Simply that

While it's true that fullbacks do cover more ground than any other position, actually making tackles is a huge energy sapper on a player. Not to mention the impact/collision bumps and bruises that have to be played with that comes with making more tackles.

Consider this scenario. Do you think you'll be more tired if you go for a 10km run or if you had to do 10x 20m sprints with a 20sec wrestle session at the end of each sprint?

Burwood

Bench
If you look at the Telstra Tracker data, halves very often cover more metres than fullbacks. I guess they need to cover more ground to get themselves into position for set plays when attacking, and when defending they are constantly getting back 10m to be onside compared to the fullback who sits behind the defensive line.

Jono078

Referee
I think we've gone fullback vs 5/8th when we should be thinking Ponga vs Hodgson.

I don't know what Hodgson's ability is but let's just say he's equal to the likes of a rookie Reece Walsh..

Does he bring something to the table where he's an asset and may even do some thing better than Ponga?

Ponga didn't like running the ball too much last year so I don't think you lose much in his running game by moving him to the halves. It may even enhance it where he'll be more selective picking his runs.

Defense is a huge concern because he also didn't like that last year. But in the front line he'll have help around him, rather than being the last line of defense.

So forget the fullback vs 5/8th. This is are we better with Hodgson at the back and Ponga in the halves. As of right now (and once again just purely speculating Hodgson is capable of a Walsh-like season) then yeah we are I think.

Early on this does add even more pressure on Clifford and his kicking game though.. Not having a hooker or halves partner who can kick will make him an easy target.

If Hodgson was ready, why isnt he considered for 5/8 then? Reece Walsh played there last year for a few games too and if Bailey is the equal to Reece like everyone is speculating then it should be a no brainer

I think Hodgson simply isnt ready and its reflected in him not even being talked about for FG yet by any of the Knights coaching staff. With little NSWCup being played over the last 2 years its probably just way too soon to deep end the kid

Latest posts