What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights face MacDougall decision

Joker's Wild

Coach
This is as good an indication that the majority here have no idea what players are earning, nor do they have any realistic grasp of what a player is worth.

Wanna explain what you mean by this?

Do you think, based on BIHKs post, that the majority here are undervaluing or overvaluing Maddogs current contract?

Spot On

Coach
I'd find it hard to believe, considering Adam's inability to play a lot of games each season, that he would be on 200K. Now I have no idea what players are on as I proved to everyone when I laughed at the asking price of the Mlb forwards (450K - absolutely ludicrous) but for a bloke that really does struggle to play half the games in any one season I would think the club would pay him maybe 150k????? I don't know. Am I anywhere near the mark??

perverse

Referee
I'd find it hard to believe, considering Adam's inability to play a lot of games each season, that he would be on 200K. Now I have no idea what players are on as I proved to everyone when I laughed at the asking price of the Mlb forwards (450K - absolutely ludicrous) but for a bloke that really does struggle to play half the games in any one season I would think the club would pay him maybe 150k????? I don't know. Am I anywhere near the mark??
not sure anyone knows for certain mate. as i said, the club certainly hasn't released any figures of what doogs is getting paid for a good couple of years now. when you throw in curve balls such as his unreliability and his loyalty to the club, it's very hard to even take a stab at a figure really.

i would hope it's bugger all... but yeah who knows i suppose. doogs isn't a dummy, either.

I have no idea how a player's contract is valued. All I know is that when you play rep football you are worth more and that is life. If the Melbourne forwards like Blair and Manu want 450K a season as some have suggested here then those two can f### off back to never never land where they belong. While I would be happy to have them at the club they are not in my top ten wish list by any means.

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
Wanna explain what you mean by this?

Do you think, based on BIHKs post, that the majority here are undervaluing or overvaluing Maddogs current contract?
There are some dumb figures thrown around here about what people think players are actually paid, and even worse what we honestly think we can get players for.

Doogs $200K? No way on earth. Brett White $200K? His manager would delete the email and not bother dealing with us. Mason $200K? Same deal.

We just talk a fair bit of crap around here is all :)

Johns Magic

Referee
There are some dumb figures thrown around here about what people think players are actually paid, and even worse what we honestly think we can get players for.

Doogs $200K? No way on earth. Brett White $200K? His manager would delete the email and not bother dealing with us. Mason $200K? Same deal.

We just talk a fair bit of crap around here is all :)

Who besides BIHK have said any of this sorry?

Who is this majority Alex?

Alex28

Coach
I don't have the time, nor the inclination to go back and quote every post which has wacky dreams of getting a rep player on about half of what they actually earn. This forum is full of those sort of posts.

Because I can't be bothered do you want me to withdraw my comment?

Unlike performance which is justified by every stat under the sun, pay can't be justified bar the occasional newspaper article which quotes what a player has signed for - and even they are unreliable (SMH said that Inglis was on $600K and $650K per year in two different articles in yesterdays paper).

I think I can safely say that the majority have no idea what players earn - after all they are not the NRL, nor the players agent, nor the player.

not sure anyone knows for certain mate. as i said, the club certainly hasn't released any figures of what doogs is getting paid for a good couple of years now. when you throw in curve balls such as his unreliability and his loyalty to the club, it's very hard to even take a stab at a figure really.

i would hope it's bugger all... but yeah who knows i suppose. doogs isn't a dummy, either.

Weren't Newton + Woolnough + Perry all on ludicrous dollars when we cut them? Newton imparticular I remember some pretty scary dollars were getting thrown around as to what his contract was worth.

Spot On

Coach
Just reading the latest on the Storm fiasco. Apparently, next season, the big four will be on a combined 2.2 million, leaving the other 21 players to share 2.1 million. Wow! It is easy to see why other clubs can't continue to pay massive overs for too many blokes, especially if they fail to deliver. White apparently is staying in Mlb but Manu and/or Blair will go. However, I personally do not think either of those two are worth anywhere near their reported asking price.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
This is as good an indication that the majority here have no idea what players are earning, nor do they have any realistic grasp of what a player is worth.

When Macdougall was here for his 1st spell he was on 300K. Then he went to almost 400K at Souths (What I've read in the papers). It would surprise me if a player was willing to go from 400K to around the 100/150K mark.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Cross is one of the oldest farts in our team... yet he's as inconsistent as it gets this year...

i think the biggest problem we face is that we're just not getting enough out of our old rough heads. we get about 10 games a year out of doogs.. about the same out of simmo... cross can't seem to stop dropping the pill at the moment...

the rest of our blokes are mainly in their early/mid-twenties. should be peaking over the next 2 years. with LOD and the right prop signed up for next year... we could see rapid improvement over the current squad.

when you look back at our year... if you took out the Houston/Wicks drama and took Scotty out of the team for every game it wasn't absolutely necessary to have him there (injuries) then i really do believe we would have been ultra competitive this year. hell, even if we had managed to jag a couple of those close and ridiculous losses we'd be up in the 8. our squad stands to be much much stronger and "harder" next year. i do see good things in our future.

Yet he's played the same amount of career games as a player in his early 20's :sarcasm:

Alex28

Coach
When Macdougall was here for his 1st spell he was on 300K. Then he went to almost 400K at Souths (What I've read in the papers). It would surprise me if a player was willing to go from 400K to around the 100/150K mark.
I don't have the time to search for links and references, but over the last 2 years I am sure he has been on base money plus incentives as we didn't have the cap to pay him any more than that.

Hard to justify paying a 35 year old centre that doesn't have the greatest record of playingh large numbers of games in a season that sort of dollars...

Joker's Wild

Coach
I don't have the time, nor the inclination to go back and quote every post which has wacky dreams of getting a rep player on about half of what they actually earn. This forum is full of those sort of posts.

Because I can't be bothered do you want me to withdraw my comment?

Unlike performance which is justified by every stat under the sun, pay can't be justified bar the occasional newspaper article which quotes what a player has signed for - and even they are unreliable (SMH said that Inglis was on $600K and $650K per year in two different articles in yesterdays paper).

I think I can safely say that the majority have no idea what players earn - after all they are not the NRL, nor the players agent, nor the player.

Yourself included

Speculation on a forum. Who'd a thunk it aye

antonius

Coach
My understanding was when he re-signed last time it was for the base salary $55,000 plus match payments. Not that much really, if he's willing to stay for that then snap him up. His value in terms of experience is worth that alone. One thing you can say when he takes the field it's 100% effort nothing less.

Serc

First Grade
For those of you who are wondering if Mad Dog is still being paid in that 50-100k per year zone with various match payments/bonuses depending on how many times he gets on the field - I have been reliably informed that this is correct :)

Spot On

Coach
So if he's on such little money why on earth did it take soooo long for he and the club to come to an agreement last time round. It seemingly dragged on for months????? Any info anyone???