What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights fans' anger at Brian Smith - Telegraph EXCLUSIVE poll

Frederick

Staff member
Knights fans' anger at Brian Smith

Article from:

By Josh Massoud
August 23, 2007 12:00am

THIS is the street poll the Newcastle Knights - and the NRL - should fear.

In a damning appraisal of the Kirk Reynoldson controversy, Novocastrians yesterday turned on their beloved Knights in an almost unequivocal vote of no-confidence to coach Brian Smith's player clean-out.

The deteriorating relationship between a host of departing local juniors and club hierarchy was reflected on Hunter Street.

A Daily Telegraph poll in Hunter Street mall found the Reynoldson drama has deeply disaffected this blue collar community.

Angry that a fellow worker's rights appear to have been unfairly dealt with, Novacastrians are highlighting the issue as the single biggest reason why rusted-on supporters are now realising there is a sporting world outside the Knights.

"The Jets are taking over," said 33-year-old George Saforis in reference to the rise of the town's A-League franchise.

Frighteningly for Newcastle - and the NRL - the figures support Mr Saforis's rhetoric.

In their final five games of last season the Jets averaged 18,754 fans at Energy Australia Stadium. In their past five outings at the same venue, the Knights have averaged 13,952.

Buoyed, Jets co-owner Con Constantine boldly predicted soccer would eventually usurp league as Newcastle's No. 1 sport at this week's A-League launch.

Laughable just 12 months ago, that scenario gained credence with every interview The Daily Telegraph conducted yesterday.

Typical was Kim Malcomson, 17, who said: "No one seems to like the Knights in Newcastle any more. It used to be a religion."

It's a far cry from the league-mad town Reynoldson was embraced by when he switched from the Storm in 2004.

His non-selection saga is now a chilling touchstone of discontent within a city that has placed rugby league and oxygen on a similar par for almost a century.

"The whole attitude has changed," 17-year-old Monique Stace said.

"The team is not doing it for the town anymore."

Ashleigh Edwards, 16, agreed, saying: "The coach is making it like a Sydney team ... I don't want to see that happen."

Moira Kirby said the anger within the community had reached a flashpoint: "I've heard people talking about burning their jerseys."

Jeremy Fox, 23, was aghast at how the club had treated Reynoldson.

"I thought Newcastle people always look after Newcastle people," he said.
LINK

What a f**king joke :lol:

A Daily Telegraph poll in Hunter Street mall found the Reynoldson drama has deeply disaffected this blue collar community.
Hunter St mall? Do people still go there? Isn't that place just a haven for homeless people and drunk little kiddies?

"The Jets are taking over," said 33-year-old George Saforis in reference to the rise of the town's A-League franchise.
Not meaning to sound racist, but if they ask someone with a surname like Saforis whether they prefer soccer of rugby league, it's probably a fair bet they're going to say soccer.

In their final five games of last season the Jets averaged 18,754 fans at Energy Australia Stadium. In their past five outings at the same venue, the Knights have averaged 13,952.
No sh*t. The Jets were winning games, and had a very real chance of taking out the competition. The Knights, on the other hand, are losing games because the players all seem disinterested in playing and can't wait for the off-season. Why should people turn up to see players who aren't even gonna have a dig?

Typical was Kim Malcomson, 17, who said: "No one seems to like the Knights in Newcastle any more. It used to be a religion."
blah
"The whole attitude has changed," 17-year-old Monique Stace said.

"The team is not doing it for the town anymore."
blah
Ashleigh Edwards, 16, agreed, saying: "The coach is making it like a Sydney team ... I don't want to see that happen."
f**king blah. I told ya - hunter st mall is full of drunk little kiddies who know jack sh*t about nothing.

"I thought Newcastle people always look after Newcastle people," he said.
Yes but, Reynoldson isn't a Novocastrian. If you want to use this argument, use it for someone like Josh Perry or Adam Woolnough, players who've been here all their lives. Not for this journeyman hack who started off in QLD, went to Parra, then back to Brisbane, then down to Melbourne, before finally arriving here to rob us of 200grand a year.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I read the first couple of lines and then thought, "f**k this, I'm not reading this crap". Fair dinkum, the Telegraph have no idea.

PrideKnight

Bench
I've been contacted by both the Tele and Channel 10 for mine and the Crusades views on it all. I told them my feelings thats for sure, and they were really disheartened that I wasn't laying the boot in and agree with what is happening up there. Of course, I told them I couldn't speak on behalf of the Crusade as a whole. It's one sided reporting thats for sure. Why don't they poll the members instead of random bums in the street?

voltron

Juniors
Well PrideKnight
im not suprised that we arent hearing about that kind of thing in the paper

b1ggles

Juniors
Frederick said:
Hunter St mall? Do people still go there? Isn't that place just a haven for homeless people and drunk little kiddies?

That must be where they've been doing this year's Federal election polls!

Hurriflatch

Referee
From memory they only had 1 or 2 people supporting Brian Smith

I wonder how many people who they talked to supported Smith but just happened to have their comments not printed

adamkungl

Immortal
Having read Knights fans opinions on here, I could tell pretty much straight away the Tele has just gone for the most uninformed bandwagoners they could find. Their agendas are unbelievable and people actually believe the sh*te they come up with. :crazy:

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
when i sore this i was so f**king pissed... maybe we should all write on the tele's website, but they prob still wouldn't listen. How does a kid writting a letter mean anything at all, yes la di da very cute but facts are fact reyno is sh*t.

borat

Bench
Frederick said:
Not meaning to sound racist, but if they ask someone with a surname like Saforis whether they prefer soccer of rugby league, it's probably a fair bet they're going to say soccer.

Go to a Jets game and you will see that by 80-90% of the crowd are as anglo skippy Aussies you kind find, just like myself, and the majority are likely to be Knights fans as well.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Why did they poll a bunch of teenage girls? Last I checked, they're not really a niche market for the Knights to be targetting. Now if it were a poll on who was the hottest player and how best to be a vacuous footy s**t - maybe their opinion would have had some credence.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
adamkungl said:
Having read Knights fans opinions on here, I could tell pretty much straight away the Tele has just gone for the most uninformed bandwagoners they could find. Their agendas are unbelievable and people actually believe the sh*te they come up with. :crazy:

The best is when the doyen-ess of Rugby League, Rebecca Wilson, states "Smith has to go" in Sundays column. No agenda though, other than to do the right thing by the Newcastle club of course. Hey Rebecca you cow, Reyno and his manager should not have agreed to those terms in the first instance & he wouldn't be in this mess.

It makes me rest easy at night knowing that the Tele, ACA & Today Tonight are out there to fight for our rights on moral grounds.

Having said that I still read the Tele. It makes me feel intelectually superior to the people who write for them.

Parki

Bench
even if you open it up inside.... half the faces that they have put into their "back page exclusive" are either supporting or non committal with their comments

they are lucky they didnt interview me, because if they put me in with that group saying "i hate the way the club is going" i would sue their arses for defamation