What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Official Team Of The Era

beckster05

Juniors
Okay guys, here is the official knights team of the era as announced at the 20th Anniversary Dinner tonight:

1. Robbie O'Davis
2. Timana Tahu
3. Matt Gidley
4. Mark Hughes
5. Adam MacDougall
6. Matthew Johns
7. Andrew Johns (c)
8. Mark Sargent
9. Danny Buderus
10. Paul Harragon
11. Steve Simpson
12. Ben Kennedy
13. Marc Glanville

14. Michael Hagan
15. Kurt Gidley
16. Tony Butterfield
17. Adam Muir

Coach: Mal Reilly

perverse

Referee
beckster05 said:
Okay guys, here is the official knights team of the era as announced at the 20th Anniversary Dinner tonight:

1. Robbie O'Davis
2. Timana Tahu
3. Matt Gidley
4. Mark Hughes
5. Adam MacDougall
6. Matthew Johns
7. Andrew Johns (c)
8. Mark Sargent
9. Danny Buderus
10. Paul Harragon
11. Steve Simpson
12. Ben Kennedy
13. Marc Glanville

14. Michael Hagan
15. Kurt Gidley
16. Tony Butterfield
17. Adam Muir

great team. i cant remember if tahu was in the team in '00.. but if he was that whole backline played that year. i somewhat feel that billy pedan deserves a spot on that bench in place of hages or kidley.

Johns Magic

Referee
I thought that said Mitchell Sargent for a second and nearly choked on my gum

Surely there was a better outside back than Hughes?

perverse

Referee
yeah i thought we probably could have done better than hughes.. however he did play 3 origin matches, and i must say he held his own admirably in all 3, especially for a bloke playing out of position... and they absolutely smashed him too.

Luke Hatherley

Juniors
perverse said:
great team. i cant remember if tahu was in the team in '00.. but if he was that whole backline played that year. i somewhat feel that billy pedan deserves a spot on that bench in place of hages or kidley.
Tht was my initial reaction. I would have had Billy ahead of Kidley.

Spike

First Grade
Peden or Glanville - they're both very similar players. I would have had Johnny Schuster in there instead of Hughes

Dutchy

Immortal
beckster05 said:

1. Robbie O'Davis
2. Timana Tahu
3. Matt Gidley
4. Mark Hughes
5. Adam MacDougall
6. Matthew Johns
7. Andrew Johns (c)
8. Mark Sargent
9. Danny Buderus
10. Paul Harragon
11. Steve Simpson
12. Ben Kennedy
13. Marc Glanville

14. Michael Hagan
15. Kurt Gidley
16. Tony Butterfield
17. Adam Muir

Tahu gets shunted to the wing for Turnstyle?

Kidley has done well to get there considering he hasnt been in the NRL all that long...compared to others...

Serc

First Grade
Definitely Dutchy, your mate turnstyle with Tahu outside him is easily one of the best centre/wing combinations of the last 10 years ;-)

I too am surprised Kidley was there...if this was voted by the Herald readers perhaps thats why there's a LOT of recent names (as they are more likely to have shorter memories) and not many from our early history.

Burwood

Bench
Wasn't the Herald just running a competition to see who could pick the same team that was officially named? Surely the Newcastle board wouldn't stoop as low as picking a best-ever side based on the opinion of newspaper readers.

roopy

Referee
Sarge was a big guy when we had no one else - but he had poor mobility, not many minutes in him, bad handling and was injured a lot.
Warren Ryan dropped him first chance he got.
Perry and Woolnough were both better, not to mention Parsons and Fairleigh.

IanG

Coach
Well we could debate this 'til the cows come home, but there are some top players to have missed out there.

Alex28 said:
This was the team voted by Herald readers right?

Dont think so............think it was a team selected by a panel. The herald were running a comp to see who could pick that same team

D

Deleted member 10972

I would've had Peden & McCormack over Hagan & Kidley. Albert, Schuster & Ainscough are unlucky to not be there ahead of Hughes too, Hughes was a clubman but an average player.

beckster05

Juniors
Alex28 said:
This was the team voted by Herald readers right?

No Alex, this team wasn't the team that was voted by the Herald readers. This team was picked by a panel of people comprising of Alan Bell, Brett Keeble and 2 other people whose names I can't remember.

The Herald were only running a competition to see who could name the team of the era as picked by the panel.

roopy

Referee
Kurt Gidley is our third highest point scorer.
Our 10th highest tryscorer and i have no doubt he will be our first to crack 100 tries in a career.
He is in the top 20 for appearences for the club.
And every season he gets 3 or 4 MOTM performances under his belt - so he has about 15 of those while many of the guys named in this team would be lucky to have any.

His problem is that he has never made a position his own - but i see him pushing Robbie O out of that fullback spot with another good season.

Alex28

Coach
The Mack said:
I would've had Peden & McCormack over Hagan & Kidley. Albert, Schuster & Ainscough are unlucky to not be there ahead of Hughes too, Hughes was a clubman but an average player.
Isn't that funny - I would have had Hagan over Matt Johns.

There is no way that Mark Hughes has been our second best Centre ever. No way. He's right up there with Brad Godden as our worst players to get rep honours.

The selectors seem to have forgotten anything that happened before 1997...