What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights to play Jamaica

Pommy

Coach
Why is that a problem? Pretty sure the png and Fiji people don't care if the prime minister 13 is missing top players. Can guarantee the Jamaicans aren't going to care either.

What’s it got to do with Jamaicans? Also what’s your point PMs 13 is the same concepts as the knights

deluded pom?

Coach
Why is that a problem? Pretty sure the png and Fiji people don't care if the prime minister 13 is missing top players. Can guarantee the Jamaicans aren't going to care either.
I have a problem with the Knights concept. I just don’t think people will buy into an A team. They didn’t for the Federation Cup and I doubt they will for this. They should be a touring team only IMO. Award full caps and call them England. Question, would Australian fans turn out in great numbers to see a Kangaroos A team that was named (for arguments sake) the Emus?

Pommy

Coach
I have a problem with the Knights concept. I just don’t think people will buy into an A team. They didn’t for the Federation Cup and I doubt they will for this. They should be a touring team only IMO. Award full caps and call them England. Question, would Australian fans turn out in great numbers to see a Kangaroos A team that was named (for arguments sake) the Emus?

I don’t think they will turn out in numbers to see a team called England when everyone knows the real England team is playing in NZ and called GB.
I really don’t see any benefit on that front.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don’t think they will turn out in numbers to see a team called England when everyone knows the real England team is playing in NZ and called GB.
I really don’t see any benefit on that front.

Speaking for myself obviously but I find it weird that people won't show up to watch a very, very high quality team just because it isn't the very best team.

If the Kangaroos are off touring in England and the Emus were playing NZ and Tonga at home I'd be stoked.
It's all in how they market it.

Pommy

Coach
Speaking for myself obviously but I find it weird that people won't show up to watch a very, very high quality team just because it isn't the very best team.

If the Kangaroos are off touring in England and the Emus were playing NZ and Tonga at home I'd be stoked.
It's all in how they market it.

If I was in or near Leeds I would for sure go watch the knights. But I also went to watch UK armed forces at Cabra leagues so I’m probably not the typical fan.

adamkungl

Immortal
If I was in or near Leeds I would for sure go watch the knights. But I also went to watch UK armed forces at Cabra leagues so I’m probably not the typical fan.

Yeah.. fair.
Maybe my faith is misplaced but I still feel like a second Kangaroos team should be able to draw at least an NRL level crowd.

deluded pom?

Coach
My point is we keep getting told a poor GB/England team hasn’t been competitive for the last fifty years which is why support for international rugby league in Australia has tailed off but 20,000 will turn out to see a Kangaroos reserve side!!!

adamkungl

Immortal
My point is we keep getting told a poor GB/England team hasn’t been competitive for the last fifty years which is why support for international rugby league in Australia has tailed off but 20,000 will turn out to see a Kangaroos reserve side!!!

Hold up, kind of missing the point there.

A non-competitive England lowers enthusiasm for internationals here because most people feel the result is a foregone conclusion. Australians love winning to an unhealthy degree but it helps to have at least the possibility of losing.

A weakened Australian side playing NZ and Tonga with relegation on the table - anything but a foregone conclusion! Looks like an intriguing matchup to me

And tbh, depends where you play these games. Sydney - maybe apathy would reign. But Newcastle, Townsville at least would jump at it.

latingringo101

Juniors
The only change I would do for this fixture is make it a full test match.

I know why they make teams like England Knights and PM XIII but if the opposition is treating it as a full blown test at least show the game some respect and just call it your nation first team (even though you don't have your first team squad)

deluded pom?

Coach
Hold up, kind of missing the point there.

A non-competitive England lowers enthusiasm for internationals here because most people feel the result is a foregone conclusion. Australians love winning to an unhealthy degree but it helps to have at least the possibility of losing.

A weakened Australian side playing NZ and Tonga with relegation on the table - anything but a foregone conclusion! Looks like an intriguing matchup to me

And tbh, depends where you play these games. Sydney - maybe apathy would reign. But Newcastle, Townsville at least would jump at it.
But we’re not talking a weakened England playing Australia or New Zealand are we? Or a weakened Australia playing New Zealand or Tonga.

Pommy

Coach
The only change I would do for this fixture is make it a full test match.

I know why they make teams like England Knights and PM XIII but if the opposition is treating it as a full blown test at least show the game some respect and just call it your nation first team (even though you don't have your first team squad)

But if the bodies don’t wish to do that then the game doesn’t get played.