What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Bulldogs Post Match Thread

We were fragile in defence..always looked fragile.never could hold them in their own half>reynoldson needed to be hooked as tanner.
hagan realy needs to explain why we should weaken an important position like 5/8 to put gidley at full back.weve all seem the reserve grade fullback!
our best players are our wingers.And that sad!
Basically all sting has gone from the attack..TIME FOR BRAD TIGHEEEE!
Be told HAGAN!!!!!!!!

Ben

Bench
Well it just wasn't our night. All the fifty fifty calls went the way of the Bulldogs, things just didn't work for us tonight. It was by no means our worst performance, but things just didn't work out right. Well i guess we finally get the much needed week off.

As for the sting gone from the attack, I disagree. I thought this was the best attacking performance that I have seen for a couple of weeks, but the final pass didn't stick or the player just found some way to lose the ball. We could've easily won the game if they could've just held onto the ball. Newton could've scored but he lost the ball infront of the line. Reynoldson dropped the ball with the Bulldogs defence in sixes and sevens thirty metres out. Kidley dropped the ball twenty metres out. But that is what fatigue does.

Well a lot of players come back in two weeks time and hopefully we can get a win.

If we dont get hungrier and meaner..the premiership is slipping.whoever that candyass was that got pushed off in that last try shouldnt come near first grade again..Fair dinkum you would hook off an under 12 player for that effort

Misanthrope

Staff member
f**king awful display. Kurt Gidley and Kirk Reynoldson are abysmal first graders. Brian Carney is the only decent winger we have at the club, and the Quinn brigade are fooling themselves if they think otherwise.

Can somebody please teach Kirk Reynoldson how to hold onto the f**king ball? It's kind of integral to the game.

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Ben said:
Well it just wasn't our night. All the fifty fifty calls went the way of the Bulldogs, things just didn't work for us tonight. It was by no means our worst performance, but things just didn't work out right. Well i guess we finally get the much needed week off.

As for the sting gone from the attack, I disagree. I thought this was the best attacking performance that I have seen for a couple of weeks, but the final pass didn't stick or the player just found some way to lose the ball. We could've easily won the game if they could've just held onto the ball. Newton could've scored but he lost the ball infront of the line. Reynoldson dropped the ball with the Bulldogs defence in sixes and sevens thirty metres out. Kidley dropped the ball twenty metres out. But that is what fatigue does.

Well a lot of players come back in two weeks time and hopefully we can get a win.

WARNING: Bulldogs fan posting, potentially not going to provide un-biased opinion.

Your attack and defence was very good. I'd have to disagree about the 50-50 calls *all* going our way - the Corey pass fair enough might've been forward, but the Grimaldi strip in the 1st half was dodgy. Simpkins didn't do a great job tonight, but I think both teams played pretty well.

Either way your lads need a rest. Simpson played exceptionally well, and I felt for Buderus and Joey who obviously wanted this so bad. Especially Joey who just looked so tired out there, in particular towards the end of the halves.

Look forward to seeing you in the finals.

Cheers.

Misanthrope

Staff member
While we're at it, somebody find a position for Kurt Gidley and buy two first grade quality wingers. We need to replace Carney and axe Quinn.

Doctor

Bench
bigdogsgottaeat said:
Your attack and defence was very good. I'd have to disagree about the 50-50 calls *all* going our way

You're right, the 50:50 calls did seem to even out. I felt some of the calls that went against the Knights seemed to happen in crucial field position, which never helps. But, truth be told, we bombed it ourselves. Even putting aside our inability to capitalise on half chances, and our over-dependence on Johns to provide 5th tackle options, we had every reason to be able to come back from the deficit. Newton should have taken us closer, and Reynoldson would have put us in the lead. Both managed to botch it with poor ball handling.

A few things are VERY clear:

- We need Thaiday to provide the missing spark.
- Johns needs someone else to take the pressure off -- Mullen's return can't come soon enough
- Simpson remain very under-rated.
- Newton can't catch.
- Reynoldson can't catch either, and gets smashed a lot.
- Kurt Gidley is susceptible under the high ball -- not a very good reputation to have for a fullback.
- Anthony Quinn, despite the assurances of many here, is susceptible to being treated as a speed bump. He cost us three tries today.
- George Carmont can't be both useful and useless in the same game -- I don't know whether to cheer him or cover my eyes.

Now, if Coach Johns sees this list of things I'm fairly sure nothing will surprise him. The game plan will be:

- Have a rest.
- Get some players back (Mullen and Thaiday particularly)
- Address the above issues

Here's hoping we're taking these things seriously.

Ben

Bench
Your attack and defence was very good. I'd have to disagree about the 50-50 calls *all* going our way - the Corey pass fair enough might've been forward, but the Grimaldi strip in the 1st half was dodgy. Simpkins didn't do a great job tonight, but I think both teams played pretty well.
I understand where you are coming from, but as a Knights supporter, I unfortunately suffer from selective memory.

Anyway, great performance by your boys. And El Masri is going great. Reached another two great achievements tonight.

Jono078

Referee
CWBush said:
While we're at it, somebody find a position for Kurt Gidley and buy two first grade quality wingers. We need to replace Carney and axe Quinn.

Luke Burt
Colin Best
Matt Sing
Adam McDougall
Luke McDougall
Daniel Fitzhenry
Luke Covell

Basically all the Wingers off contract from what I can see :(.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Colin Best, Matt Sing, Adam MacDougall, and Luke MacDougall are all miles ahead of Anthony Quinn.

Jono078

Referee
Maybe we could pick up the Macdougall brothers, can be quite handy while on the field and add to the depth in the backs.

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
P.S. You guys should try to keep Carney next year. I know it'll be hard, but holy crap that guy is good. Seriously, he played awesome this year. I agree with Jono078 - if you can get Adam McDougall back next year, I'd seriously do it. I still don't think we've seen the best of him.

Simpson, Johns, Buderus and Carney were stand-outs for mine. We've (the Dogs have) only played 80 minutes of good footy this year, which was tonight. Honestly I reckon if you'd played us any other week you'd have kicekd our arse. And if your plays had been rested, you'd probably have done the same.

Again lads, my last post in the Knights forum because I'm likely to overstay my welcome, but good luck for the rest of the season.

Nuffy

Bench
Can we stop using the "we are tired" excuse.

Its bulls*it and just plain embarassing, only 5 of the players have played every game so quite obviously plenty of the players have had a "rest" for at least a week or more.

Its the lamest excuse going around and is just an escape clause for the players poor performances, Hagan should be nutted for even allowing it to be discussed openly, talk about negative thoughts delivering negative results!!

I'd like to offer a special congratulations to Super coach, he gets 10/10 for perserverence and 0/10 for intelligence.

Every week the same names appear on this forum for poor games, lets see, Kidley, Tanner, Reynoldson. And guess what, they seem to just get picked every week, its now officially beyond a joke and Michael Hagan is without doubt the worse coach this club has ever had.

Kidley at fullback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lowrie at5/8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tanner in the team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reynoldson on a 4 year 250k+ deal WTF!

I'm now convinced that we get the results WE DESERVE!
If Hagan can't be bothered, the players keep making excuses like "we're tired" and blokes like Kidley / Quinn want UPGRADES to stay at the club then we are f*cking kidding ourselves!

Kidley and Quinn should be accepting contract reductions based on their ability and contributions NOT upgrades FFS!

The greatest irony of this entire thing is that we who only support the club can accurately predict whats going to happen and Hagan et al, who are actually paid to be experts on football can not.

Un-fuc*ing-believable

Ben

Bench
I wouldn't be calling for the guillotine after one game. Sure, he let in three tries, but they were not entirely his fault. When you have a player like Sonny Bill Williams to contend with, he is surely going to draw you in. Sometimes it is hard to lay trust on your inside man with a guy like SBW running at your centre with speed and strength and is going to pop the ball out even if there are ten men on him.

The kick that went behind him was not stoppable. There was nothing he could've done about that because Sherwin landed the kick perfectly, and with El Masri running at pace you are never going to beat him for the ball.

The Corey Hughes pass was where he just f*cked up big time.

chinorocks

Juniors
Quinn seems to be copping a lot of criticism, not sure he did much wrong to be honest. Carney had one of his better games, with th exception of a drop ball which led to a try.

Newton was awesome. Whoever it was that paid him out earlier obviously didnt watch the same game as me. He was in everything, at least 2 try saving tackles, multiple good runs, handled and threw good passes in at least 2 of our trys....What more do you want???

Buderus was as usual amongst our best, saved a try with a desperate ankle tap on whoever was on their left wing....scheming out of dummy half, would have been close to our top tackler...he has it all.

Smithy and Simmo we're good as they are every week.

Now for the bad. How the referee called a knock on on Kildey (led to a try, which also contained a forward pass) I will never know.

Tanner and Reynoldson are not good enough for Premier League let alone fist grade. One of their trys they just strolled between the 2 of them like they weren't even there. Give me Tolar and Abes any day.

In all watching the game I never thought we we're going to win. We are strruggling bad, and I just hope to god the bye helps us out, because right now, we aren't even close to being a top 4 side.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm not calling for Anthony Quinn to get dropped after one game - I'm calling for it after thirteen rounds of football. The man doesn't know where to run when he has the ball, and he doesn't know how to tackle the ball-carrier when he doesn't.

chinorocks

Juniors
The Corey Hughes pass was 2 metres forward, and the touchie should have picked it up. Quinn was not that bad and was far from our worst player. If you want to criticise players, take a closer look at Reynoldson, Tanner and Carmont....funnily enough I can say the same thing when we win games...

Ben

Bench
Can we stop using the "we are tired" excuse.

Its bulls*it and just plain embarassing, only 5 of the players have played every game so quite obviously plenty of the players have had a "rest" for at least a week or more.
It is not about our team being tired. It is about Johns being tired. Johns is only average when he is fatigued, and you need Johns at his best to actually turn Reynoldson and Tanner into something good.

Latest posts