What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Eels Post Match Thread.

Kazaf

Juniors
Sad to hear, Joey may be injured.
During the last minute Linebreak, I think he got a leg injury.
Required assistance getting up after full time.

Hope nothing is wrong with Joey :(
Quite a fair bit of inury today, hope all goes well for the WHOLE team!!

simostorm

Bench
That was a great game that one, shame that pass from joey to Seage didnt come
off at the end.
How good did seage play! He was tremendous.

Ben

Bench
After a win like this he would be spewing himself if he couldnt play next week. Well it was a great performance but still a lot of improvements needed to march our way back into being competition heavy weights, but there is no need to spoil the celebrations. What i admire from this game was the patience that we showed when raiding the Parra line. We didnt try to put on the big lateral plays too early and chancing our arm, but simply put it into the in goal with a good kick chase.

thuganomics

Coach
Yer a head knock that was it. When I saw him let go of PJ I was worried. But he looks ok.

What a performance from Johns, Seage and Newton.

Those 3 were Superb. Johns - Nothing else to be said. He came out with a mission and mission completed.

Seage - Safe as hell under the high ball, try saving tackles.

Simpson, Perry and Woolnough made great meters. Woolnough also made 26 tackles and didn't miss one. However he did give away back to back penalties which he will be dissapointed about.

Buderus was excellent, great service from dummy half.

NEWCASTLE!!

Risa

Bench
Just got back from the game...wow it was great to sit with two Parra supporters (brother in law & his friend) and come away with a win lol. Seage has to be our #1 fullback, he was excellent tonight. Our defense has lifted somewhat as well. Hopefully we will worry a few teams now!

Nuffy

Bench
The scrambling defence was excellent, the passion was brilliant and we looked like a team that knew how to win.

Nice if we can get a few more wins before the end of the season.

I'm looking forward to next week now.

Doctor

Bench
Dilmah said:
You really want that? Big effort getting beaten by the team who gets the spoon. Especially for serious contenders for the premiership. :lol:

Who said anything about the Eels being serious contenders for the premiership? Not by that performance tonight... they were woeful, and the Knights weren't much better. It's an indication of how they're travelling -- poorly by my reckoning -- and more importantly how they're shaping for September. They were dominated by an understrength and under-performing wooden-spoon-earning side. It doesn't bode well for Eels fans looking to parade around as genuine contenders for the premiership. And don't for one minute use the "look at the ladder" comeback... it simply doesn't work when the side you're looking to insult has two premiership trophies from the past nine years and your team has none.

As for game:

My biggest concern this year has been our finishing skills. That is; finishing sets of six, finishing attacking raids, finishing sets of six in defence, finishing halves of football and finishing whole matches. Too often we've conceded penalties, tries, line-breaks and games because of a general lack of fitness. Most impressive from tonight was how we finished both halves, kept the Eels scoreless for 70 minutes and continued to put in the hard yards even late in the game. We still missed two tries that we should have scored. Salkeld should have held the ball a lot better than he did, and Seage had every reason to hold that ball that he ultimately dropped. These two bombed tries could have hurt us, but our defence and importantly our discipline held together.

Top marks for Newton, Craig Smith, Josh Perry (one penalty), George Carmont (pretty good overall), Dan Tolar, Danny Buderus, and David Seage. I'm still not in the slightest convinced about Lowrie at 5/8th, especially when Brad Tighe seems reasonably capable of doing the things Lowrie can't like catching, passing, kicking and even tackling.

But, in general, I'm pretty chuffed. It's an impressive performance to keep a top side like the Eels scoreless for the last 60-70 minutes of a game. They did it on the back of Johns' deep kicking, a forward pack lead by Perry and Smith, and scrambling defence.

Jono078

Referee
One thing that makes me really happy is before this round Parra were the 3rd best attacking team, and we kept them to 10 points!

Cant wait for next season, with a full offseason with new trainers, physios etc. This year our pre season training will still cuase a few to get injured, but next year we should be in the top 11 if all goes well!

Kazaf

Juniors
jono078 said:
One thing that makes me really happy is before this round Parra were the 3rd best attacking team, and we kept them to 10 points!

Cant wait for next season, with a full offseason with new trainers, physios etc. This year our pre season training will still cuase a few to get injured, but next year we should be in the top 11 if all goes well!

YA!! cant wait for next season, a fresh start!!

antonius

Coach
The papers are all praising Johns for the win, and while he was the man to set up the tries I thought David Seage was far and away our best player. He reminded me last night of how good he was in the brief appearances he made last year. He saved three certain tries, one on our line with a solid front on tackle, and to chased down tackles that saved certain tries, one of them running down Burt I think it was whoever said his knee injury would slow him down was way off the mark. He was safe under the ball, and made 18 hit ups returning the ball, he really did deserve to score that last try, very poor pass from Johns blew it. I thought Tighe had his best game ever in first grade, Perry was good again, giving away only one penalty and really does seem to be trying to get on with playing controlled footy. Salkeld has a way to go as a first pick winger, but he certainly knows how to get to the line (first try) his second effort though was down to poor ball security (he should have scored) Anoher great game by Newton who gets better every week. Couple of uncharacteristic errors from Danny ( he must be worn out) Hages gave him a five miute rest until Quigs threw that intercept, Hages couldn't get Danny back on quick enough. I thought our defence won us the match, we blotted out Morris, and Smityh, and kept Pig, and Widders pretty quiet (no mean feat) Great win, and enough in that effort for me to review my thoughts on next season.

Whats Doing

Bench
Didn't see the game but the boys must have played well.

Good to see Seage get wraps. He is a very talented player and I do recall that I was the first to mention him back in 2003.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Listening to the radio this morning, Joey's getting all the raps, I think that is unfair on the rest of the team. Sure, he led the team very well, but I think I speak for everyone on here when I say Seagey was our best by a fair way. In saying that, we didnt have a bad player out there last night. By my calculations, I reckon Seagey would have come up with about 12 try-saving tackles. A fair few on our own line, the one which ultimately won us the game on Cannings with about a minute to go and his ability to turn and chase the kick from Morris to Burt (who is no slow-poke). He has to remain at fullback next week regardless of whether Milton is back or not. All in all a fantastic effort, yet another close game we've been involved in, but a positive result this time :D

Yeah,i thought it was a good game, very very very nerveracking! Great defence i must say, kept them scoreless for 70 mintues!! Good job boys! :clap:
Seage.. is a legend! Fullback for sure. He played so well last night, good on him, saved like 8 tries, i'm guessing. He was awesome.
I thought it was a good effort from the boys and can't wait till the storm game :)

Jono078

Referee
Yeah lol, he still seems lazy, but who expects the best out of our players with the Offseason we had!

Doctor

Bench
Jobdog said:
Listening to the radio this morning, Joey's getting all the raps, I think that is unfair on the rest of the team. Sure, he led the team very well,

In all fairness to him, his kicking game was incredible. Countless deep kicks in-goal, a chip or two over the top, and some good passing skills on display. But Seage was great, and to put the win down exclusively to Johns is unfair on every player who lifted his game for the occasion; Perry, Carmont, Woolnough, Tighe, Seage, Craig Smith, Newton etc.

but I think I speak for everyone on here when I say Seagey was our best by a fair way.

You don't speak for me Jobdog. :lol: I thought Newton was incredible -- more than 10-12 metres every time he ran, and a tackle-machine to boot. Seage was great too -- take nothing from either player. Hages rated the fullback's performance "one of the best" he'd seen... which makes it even more incredible how Newton still shone. I suppose I voted for Newton because I think his performance might be overshadowed by Seage and Johns, who were both tremendous.

Both Newton and Seage were instrumental... without either effort, we would have been rolled.

gullsfan

Juniors
Well done the Knights.

Although regretfully I didn't get to see it, great to hear Seagey has finally had one of his "safe as houses" games for you guys. I knew he would eventually, just took about 12 months longer than I expected.
How did he go in attack? I can tell you he's no slouch in that department either.

Latest posts