What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Raiders Post Match Thread

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Yeah I thought the Raiders defended really well. I was impressed by the way they kept us out in the period where we had 4 consecutive sets at their try line.
Stand outs for me were Mullen after he came on, M Gidley, Carney's ability to finish off M Gidley's hard work, and as always Craig Smith.
Very happy we're on top, after not winning a game this time last year. If we're still there after the origin series is over, we'll be in a very good position come finals time.
I am still shocked over the way the Kidley's forward pass to Carney wasn't picked up at all. It was so blatently obvious.

Doctor

Bench
vippo19 said:
Sounds like a great game. Didnt get to see it unfortunately. When Seage got injured, did Kidley push to FB and Mullen to 5/8? It sounds like it was a good move? Do you think thats what the starting side will be next week, or isnt Seage's injury that bad?

I suspect Seage will be out next week -- looked like a torn hammy, not just aggravated. But we'll wait and see. Yes, Mullen went to 5/8th, with Kurt at fullback. I thought it worked quite well, with Kurt still able to come up into the line when we were looking to score about 10-20 metres out.

Master Vippo

Juniors
Yeah, Carneys last try, Johns t Mullen To K Gidley to M gidley to Carney...try. Sounds like a lot of ball players available.

Jayell

Juniors
Seems like Seage and carmont will be both out next week. Not big losses really-Kidley slots in well at fullback and stops him from getting too much involvement in attack. Mullen is almost ripe and about to explode in first grade i reckon-looked impressive last night.
Brad Tighe HAS to be in our starting line up and would seem a natural replacment for Carmont-will probably become a permanent change if Hagan wakes up. Hopefully Quinny can return next week and we'll be sweet.

P.S- Once again last night Reegan Tanner came up with a terrible mistake at a crucial stage in the game. Such a sloppy player, but i know he tries so hard. Can't wait to Newto, Simpson and Tolar get back and Reegan can fade away into premier league.

8. Smith
9. Buderus
10. Perry
11. Simspon
12. Newton
13. Lowrie

RES: Tolar, Woolnough, Brown, Davico

Looks pretty good to me.
Bye Bye Reegan XXX

Master Vippo

Juniors
He dropped it, but redeemed himself about 2 minutes later when he smacked a Cnaberra player and they dropped it up the other end.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Captain_Fred said:
Also, you had to feel sorry for those poor souls sitting on the hills, and in the lower tier of the Eastern stand.
That was me... I looked like a drowned rat :lol:
I thought for sure my hair colour might have run on my jersey because I only died it a day ago.... but it didn't :thumn .

I was happy with most of the game, I knew the Raiders would be stronger last night, their on line defence was great.
John's kicking game was great and I think he did a good job with directing play. I hadn't even noticed that Seage came off, I knew Carmont did.
I was telling my freind all we needed was sleet and the Raider's would have felt right at home :lol:

Whats Doing

Bench
The conditions required the game to be "controlled" and have good field position without the normal expansive game of the knights . This they executed brilliantly and would have had the Raiders taking at least 8 goal line drop outs.

The standouts moments for me were:
1.Smith's great back up to almost score a try had he not stumbled,
2.Woollys brilliant 20 metre chase and tackle from behind on the raiders winger,
3. Baileys tip on pass for Tighe's try; and
4. Kicking game of Johns and Mullen where they got at least 8 goal line frop outs.

Smith, Woolly and Perry really laid the platform for Johns and Mullen to get the required field position. What is also good for the knights is that Johns and Mullen kick with different feet thus allowing both players to be on either side of the ruck and giving us more options.

Well done boys.

Doctor

Bench
northey said:
i was really happy with lowrie and tanner last night!
mullen had a good game as well

I think we had this conversation a few weeks ago Northey, but: are you objective on Lowrie? You keep voting for him, when perhaps he wasn't in our top three players. Just curious... :?

chinorocks

Juniors
Ok performance last night. We we're pretty good for the last 60 minutes, very average in the first 20. Some onservations.

1. Canberra attacked strictly up the middle pretty much all night, which hurt us in the absence of Simmo, Bedsy and Newton, but really helped out Carneys game.

2. Joey and Mullen's kicking game was fantastic, great variety got a heap of line drop outs and kicked our way out of a trouble at least 5 times. Also Kurt's kick chase was not affected after he moved out of 5/8, proving he can be moved without it affecting his game.

3. Our front row rotation this year is awesome. Craig Smith is just about our best player every week, and Davico and Wooly are doing there job well. Say what you want about Josh Perry, but aside from the Storm game he has been fantastic this year, big tough, running hard and very difficult to tackle.

4. Todd Lowrie. I've always been a fan I think he has a tonne of ability, and it is really beginning to show. Thank god the Dragons signed Price instead of him.

5. Tighe. Wow. What a return to first grade considering he was playing out of position. We have to find a spot for him somewhere, he offers so much in attack, especially running off Johns.

All in all a solid performance, and we are definately perfecting the art of winning ugly. Next 2 games will present a challenge though, and injuries to the backline are starting to mount. Will have to go up a notch to match it with the Dragons and Dogs IMO.

Frederick

Staff member
I just remembered something - did you guys see that anime Knights mascot? Is this the first game it's appeared at, or has it been at others?

RABK

Referee
It was at the Broncos game mate. I think that was his debut.

On a post game note my night was ruined when i ran into some slob at Maca's. Dirtiest bum i've ever seen. Hope i never see him again!

Roy

Juniors
Red and Blue Knight said:
On a post game note my night was ruined when i ran into some slob at Maca's. Dirtiest bum i've ever seen. Hope i never see him again!

you will have to put up with him for the rest of the year untill smith comes....:roll:

Frederick

Staff member
Looks like it...I'll miss you guys :cry:

:lol::crazy:

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, Roy, who were you talking about?

Very ugly win, but grit/determination and Joeys kicking game got us over the line.

Arguably the worst officiating of the year and Gordy made it the worst commentry of the year.

But nice to get the 2 points and lead the comp.

Latest posts