What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights V Raiders Preview

keeney

First Grade
Is it raining in Newie?

And what was our season tally of players used in 05? At this stage or the end. How did we get through that year without breaching our salary cap?

roopy

Referee
keeney said:
Is it raining in Newie?

And what was our season tally of players used in 05? At this stage or the end. How did we get through that year without breaching our salary cap?
it's raining - pretty heavy - but should be good by Monday - and the work they did on ground drainage when they put up the new stand was obviously brilliant - because the ground is as good as ever.

We used 35 players in 05 and at the end of the year i think it was Hinton and Royal who were told they had earnt a firstgrade start but we couldn't use them for salary cap reasons.

This year we have used 34 and i reckon Hunt, Laban, Uate, Franze, Ling and maybe a few others could be in the mix by the end of the season.

CJKnight

Juniors
Jobdog said:
Well I don't think that the Newcastle Herald would have published it in today's paper for no reason.

Well I don't recall seeing that as a source in the post. Sounded like a wild speculator to me (but then again, I'm the king of those aren't I?) ;-)

roopy

Referee
~knights~ said:
It's the 2nd-tier salary cap money.
The club has already spent close to the funding limit allocated to players outside the top 25 .
Clubs are permitted to spend $350,000 each season on players who are NOT officially recognised as members of the top 25 but appear in the NRL.

Each time a new 2nd-tier player is used in the nrl ,the value of his contract is added onand if it succeds the limit $350,000,his club attracts a breach notice and probable fine.

The Knights have already used 35 in 1st Grade beacuase of injuries and retirements.They have already dipped heavily into their premierleague squad and have little room for manoeuvre for the rest of the season.
thanks for clearing that up - i forgot that whole second tier cap business - bloody complicated isn't it.

roopy

Referee
I wonder if we can apply for relief for Newton walking out?
We should be able to add someone to the top 25 for the rest of the year - Walshy for instance.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
colly raider said:
Does anyone know how ticket sales are going?
Are they expecting a big crowd , or small one?
Not too sure how the ticket sales are going, but if the rain keeps falling, I wouldn't be expecting a crowd any bigger than about 15,000

~knights~

Juniors
roopy said:
I wonder if we can apply for relief for Newton walking out?
We should be able to add someone to the top 25 for the rest of the year - Walshy for instance.

that's interesting about Newton...he definitely was part of our top 25 (along with Joey) this year.

It's a tricky situation ,and I'm sure the knights will hold talks with the nrl over it.

How many other players have been released this year and gone to other clubs.
Was soeward part of the roosters top 25?

~knights~

Juniors
Re Soweard
Actually it would be the dragons who could be in strife next year(cap breaches) with all their injuries they have had .i think they had used more players than the knights this year...
how can the Nrl compensate for a high injury toll to teams ????

Jobdog

Live Update Team
You'll probably get a spot Jono, but then you'll have to wait like an hour before u get out ;-)

Jono078

Referee
Jobdog said:
You'll probably get a spot Jono, but then you'll have to wait like an hour before u get out ;-)
Not that it matters anymore :x

Few things came up so im not going any more.

Was looking forward to tonight aswell, think it will be a great game.

Anyway i'll be there for a few of their next home games :)

fred_knight

Juniors
I went to the Penrith , Roosters match on saturday night and it poured with rain and we were soaked, as soon as the players ran out the rain mysteriously stopped and didnt appear again for the whole match, ended up being a great night.hopefully you all wont get too wet.

Go Knights

Latest posts