What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights V's Cowboys Post Match Thread

Doctor

Bench
This was a heartbreaking loss -- especially after dominating the first half, then allowing the Cowboys back in.

There were a number of critical points, unfortunately many of which involved Ben Kennedy. BK tried hard, and was inspirational, but made at least 4 critical errors:

1) Missed tackle, led to the Cowboy's first try.

2) Dropped the ball, on the burst, about 5-10 metres from the tryline

3) Played on, despite clearly being tackled -- the end result was a penalty against us, just when we had had 3 or more tackles up our sleeve to break the deadlock about 10 metres out. He was tackled, well and truly. Kurt Gidley, at the time, was standing about 20m out ready for the field goal attempt. All he needed to do was go to ground and let Kurt try for the FG. Unfortunately, he seemed a bit to keen to be the hero.

4) The dropped ball off the kick-off in golden point time.

By themselves, these mistakes would be shrugged off as "every player is entitled to the odd mistake". But all the mistakes (in addition to any I've missed), came at critical times -- all required experience, but he didn't come up with the goods.

As the pack leader, he probably should have been concentrating on ball possession and making every tackle. It's unfortunate, because he is a very good player when fit. It is perhaps the only occassion that I will criticise Kennedy for what was an ordinary game from him.

He tore in when attacking and defending -- but just like Josh Perry: mistakes/penalties mean that all your hard work is now void of any significance.

Azkatro

First Grade
I'm amazed how much the Cowboys are still taken for granted. Ben Kennedy seemed to me to be the only player out there who realised that it was game on, and played with his heart. You might talk about his occasional errors that arguably cost his team the match - but it was his other 85 minutes of footy that kept them in the game.

All the other blokes still seemed to be running around with the mentality that they would just get the win in the end. NSW sides continue to under-rate the Cowboys at their peril. The attitude to me seemed like "ahh it's alright, it's only the Cowboys, we'll get home in the end". Plenty of sides have done that this year, and come up without any competition points.

We are in the top 8 folks. You guys are really going to miss Ben Kennedy next season.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Johns-All-Day said:
princessjen said:
What about that bloody ref when Carmont tackled that guy. There was nothing in that tackle and the cowboys got a penatly. :cry: :x :x :x
The funniest thing about that was when Danny said to the Ref, "Is that a new rule is it? Stay down to get a penalty?" Haha go Danny. He was so frustrated with the Ref today. I don't think I've ever seen him like that.
I heard him say that in the sports ears. He was so cranky during that game and I don't blame him. I have seen him go off in the Melbourne game with the graple tackel.. I think this was abit worse though.
I did realise Kurt elbowed as were I was sitting I couldn't see it all to well... or hear it. That was just a stupid thing to do.
I was so dissapointed when BK dropped that ball.
He didn't turn up to the after match function either last night. Danny had calmed down alot.

northey

First Grade
love this quote from the herald today
Newcastle prop Josh Perry concluded: "We can't keep saying next week, next week. Next week we've got to do it or that's it [for the season], I think."

Latest posts