What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights want Mateo

Risa

Bench
Source is The Sunday Telegraph (Newcastle Edition). Sorry can't post a link as I cannot find one on here.

Knights want Mateo
By BARRY TOOHEY

PARRAMATTA back-rower Feleti Mateo has emerged as Newcastle's No. 1 recruitment target as the club looks to bolster its star power for 2011.

We can reveal the Knights have made approaches to his manager David Riolo and have various people, including former team-mates of Mateo, working behind the scenes in their bid to entice the Eels star to the club.

With as many as eight top-grade players off contract at he end of the season, the Knights will have room under the salary cap to go after at least one or two top-liner players from rival clubs.

"Depending on who is re-signed, we could have as much as $500,000 or more to go after a big name or two," a Knights source said. "We've identified a few players, but Mateo is right at the top of the list.

"The word is the Eels have salary-cap issues and will need to shed some players at the end of the season, but at the same time we aren't the only club interested in Mateo."

As high quality, genuine ball-playing back-rowers go, the Knights have only ever had two: Adam Muir and Ben Kennedy. At his very best, Mateo is in that class.

roopy

Referee
We have a chance to build a good squad next year.
We should have a core of decent young players, and money to spend because several older guys are off contract (Doogs, Simmo, Hilder, Cross)

Alex28

Coach
Yosh - are you happy with the team being middle-of-the-road? We have plenty of second rowers but how many of them are the quality of Mateo?

The answer is not many, if any. The final line of Risa's article says it all - we have not had a quality ball player since BK, and we sorely miss that element of attack.

Serc

First Grade
To some this may sound silly, but given our strengths and weaknesses, Mateo (even playing at his brilliant best) is not going to make us much better.

I'll put this out there - I reckon Taia was better than Mateo last season.

perverse

Referee
he would go well as matt hilders replacement if we let go of him. as much as i like waltzing, he's no feleti mateo. something tells me mullo is always going to play halfback for us, though... and we're chasing mateo as a 5/8th.

that would disappoint me... but we'd certainly be better of than we currently are in the halves.

Serc

First Grade
I should also add that if we were to make a play for a backrower we would need to look a little higher than Mateo, like a Gallen, Thaiday, Watmough, Crocker, O'Donnell etc

Serc

First Grade
I'd be pretty depressed if I knew I was going to see Mullo play halfback for a significant period :( that thought also popped into my mind when I saw 'Mateo'

Big Tim

First Grade
I am not a big fan of Mullen playing half instead of 5/8, but if it means we could have an X-factor like Mateo in the side... we could just do it.

We have carried a half on the bench for a while now, you could always have Dodge or Dureau on the bench and see how things shake out each game.

Frederick

Staff member
I'm very open to Mateo coming here as a 5/8. He does have ball playing ability, is a very strong defender, and as stated will give us that X-facter we've desperately needed. I'd also like us to try and keep Hilder for as long as possible - IMO his contributions to our team over the past couple of years cannot be understated.

Otherwise, the only halfback on the market that I'd even consider making a play for is Mitchell Pearce...I like the style he plays and think he has a lot of talent and ability. Not sure if he's off contract though.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Waltzing brings more to this team than many are giving him credit for. If he is not in the middle we leak metres big time, just compare the stats between him on and him on off the field. If he is not renewed for 2011, we are out of our freakin minds.

OT, Id love to see Mateo here in 2011. With Simo and possibly Cross gone at the end of this year and Houstons ability to play front row we could easily slot him into the pack or off the bench.

perverse

Referee
a high quality prop and a first grade quality centre... or vice versa perhaps, but i'd be putting a prop higher up the list.

still hoping mata'utia stands up this year to take over from mad dog when he's gone.

aqua_duck

Coach
Simmo will move on, I reckon if we lose Simmo and Cross, Houston might have to spend more time in the frontrow. Mateo at lock would take alot of pressure off the halves

he would go well as matt hilders replacement if we let go of him. as much as i like waltzing, he's no feleti mateo. something tells me mullo is always going to play halfback for us, though... and we're chasing mateo as a 5/8th.

that would disappoint me... but we'd certainly be better of than we currently are in the halves.

Idiocy to loose Hilder he wouldnt be on much more then a $100k and can cover hooker as well as being a very good backrower.

aqua_duck

Coach
a high quality prop and a first grade quality centre... or vice versa perhaps, but i'd be putting a prop higher up the list.

still hoping mata'utia stands up this year to take over from mad dog when he's gone.
I reckon prop and halfback are our big needs. A real forward leader, because we have a decent pack already, but we're missing a real leader in there, someone like a Petero type, doesn't have to be as good as Petero but someone who'll take that 1st hit up. A halfback is obviously unless Scotty has a big year this year I think his days will be numbered.
Centre, we got Junior Sau signed up and he's guarenteed a spot, so if we sign another centre, we can kiss Mata'utia good bye because the guy is too good to be rotting in NSW cup

perverse

Referee
Idiocy to loose Hilder he wouldnt be on much more then a $100k and can cover hooker as well as being a very good backrower.
if he's on that sort of coin then you're right, it would be lunacy to let him go.

something tells me he's on a bit more than that, though.

perverse

Referee
I reckon prop and halfback are our big needs. A real forward leader, because we have a decent pack already, but we're missing a real leader in there, someone like a Petero type, doesn't have to be as good as Petero but someone who'll take that 1st hit up. A halfback is obviously unless Scotty has a big year this year I think his days will be numbered.
Centre, we got Junior Sau signed up and he's guarenteed a spot, so if we sign another centre, we can kiss Mata'utia good bye because the guy is too good to be rotting in NSW cup
yeah, well if pete does step up then a centre would be off the list, obviously.

if he doesn't we're going to be in an awkward position.

Latest posts