What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

Gronk

Staff member
"In a selfless move, Hodgson took up his option earlier in the 2023 season which earned him a salary worth $350,000.

That number would have been higher if the club had instead taken up his option and extended his contract for a further season."

#selfless
Yes, that was a variation to the standard option. It wasn’t by the purest of definitions a MO. The club had a CO at a certain $ value and the player had a PO at a lesser $ value.

Outlier circumstances do not define the general norms.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes, that was a variation to the standard option. It wasn’t by the purest of definitions a MO. The club had a CO at a certain $ value and the player had a PO at a lesser $ value.

Outlier circumstances do not define the general norms.
I agree it was a combination PO and CO, but it was described as a MO.

It's the only definition of a mutual option that makes sense and has any legal purpose. You don't need a MO to discuss extending a year. There is zero purpose to it. Contracts are legally binding, not calendar reminders to have a chat in a couple of years.

I actually think the above concept and process is inherent in the "provisions" of a MO, and the discussions of whether a contract is extended and on what exact terms.

I just can't think of any other basis upon which these MO discussions to mutually agree would or could occur - and be officially registered with the NRL as an option year (rather than just standard negotiations to sign a new "extension" contract).

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons