What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Budpower

Juniors
Sloan great with ball in his hands but is Duftyeske in defence. I think ( hope ) a few extra kilos will give him the confidence to get into the rough stuff. He needs a big off season to work on this. A few games as winger in NRL might be worthwhile .
Sloanes got triple x factor and SPEED , see Feagai get run down like a snail? we have 2 verrry slow wingers, its not right

Dragon David

First Grade
Sloanes got triple x factor and SPEED , see Feagai get run down like a snail? we have 2 verrry slow wingers, its not right.
We need at least one fast winger. Rava is a good finisher but even if Lomax gives him the ball early and into space, Rava isn't fast enough to go all the way to score, say from our half. A speedy winger like Brett Morris is what we need - is Sloan that fast?

I don't really like to compare, but when we won in 2010, we had BMorris and Nightingale as our wingers. This combination is what we need.

In the case of our halves which would include Hunt, they should all be coached to play like Cleary and Luai from Penrith. Just keep watching their highlights and learn. Our halves don't do too many cut out passes - they need to do much more. Ramsey isn't a ball player and he lacks the cut out passes - Dufty was good.

Our forwards are capable types but need to learn more than just taking the ball up in attack head first - learn to offload more and defend effectively and correctly in numbers.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The Dragons opened the scoring in spectacular fashion in the 10th minute when winger Alexander Lobb leapt high over the defence to score in the right corner for a 4-0 lead.

Former Manly second-rower Jack Gosiewski showed a clean pair of heels after hitting a gap to outpace full-back Jake Toby to score in the corner for an 8-0 lead six minutes later.

Spreading his wings...former Sea Eagle Jack Gosiewski on his way to the line.©Manly Media
Four minutes later, Blacktown Workers opened their account when winger Ray Vaega used his strength to crash over in the right corner for an 8-4 scoreline.

St George-Illawarra winger Treigh Stewart made sure he got in on the tryscoring opportunities when he crossed in the 28th minute for a 12-4 lead.

Blacktown Workers then conceded a try two minutes from half-time after full-back Tyrell Sloan raced away for a try under the posts. Half-back Kamren Cryer converted to give the Dragons an 18-4 lead at half-time.

The Dragons were left a man short three minutes after half-time when Gosiewski was placed on report and sent to the sin bin.

Blacktown Workers quickly capitalised when Toby chimed into the backline to throw a dummy to score out wide. Half-back Dylan White converted for an 18-10 scoreline after 49 minutes.

Just prior to Gosiewski's return, the Dragons went to a 22-10 lead when Lobb leapt high to defuse a crossfield kick to score his second try in the 52nd minute.

Blacktown Workers were then left a man short in the 60th minute when Vaega was placed on report and sin-binned following a brief altercation.

Ray Vaega scored a try in Blacktown's loss to the Dragons.©Manly Media
The Dragons capitalised a minute later when they spread the ball left for centre Ethan Clark-wood to score in the corner. Cryer converted for a 28-10 lead.

The scoreline blew further out when Sloan crossed for his second try three minutes later for a 34-10 lead after 66 minutes.

Blacktown Workers scored a late consolation try when winger Pio Seci ran 70 metres to score in the corner. White converted for a 34-16 scoreline.

The loss leaves Blacktown Workers on the bottom of the ladder, three points behind Wests Magpies, with six rounds and a bye remaining.

Blacktown Workers now play Newcastle Knights at 4 Pines Park on Saturday, July 16, at 12.40pm prior to the Jersey Flegg Cup and NRL matches between the two clubs.

Anyone stick their hands up with a performance to demand promotion ?? Please , please !!
According to the stats, Billy Burns gained the most metres (173) of any player on the ground. Goose (Gosiewski) was placed on report and I don't know the outcome of that. Burns imo, was the most promising of our edge forwards last year but his progress was derailed by a preseason stress fracture and it took an eternity for him to recover. Is just getting up to full fitness- he played 73mins last weekend. With Sims gone for at least one match, I'd be promoting Burns to replace him.

George Dragon

Juniors
Looking at the team list for the lower grade this weekend one name comes to my attention that is Navajo Doyle getting a run in the JF squad. Very interested to see how he goes.

Budda made his debut last weekend, played 60min before cramping.
Barlow won't be playing this weekend, he has broken his hand. Webster is the one to keep an eye on.
Good to see Toby moving up thru the grades he handled the step up well last weekend. Gosiewski may be a late withdrawal after being placed on report.
I think there is some footage of Budda I'll look for it.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Budda made his debut last weekend, played 60min before cramping.
Barlow won't be playing this weekend, he has broken his hand. Webster is the one to keep an eye on.
Good to see Toby moving up thru the grades he handled the step up well last weekend. Gosiewski may be a late withdrawal after being placed on report.
I think there is some footage of Budda I'll look for it.
Appreciate your input as always George!

randomdragon

Juniors
I don’t really think Sloan or Sullivan can say they truly deserve an NRL shot, neither of them dominate reserve grade and I feel like this is the bare minimum for them to be getting picked. They should be being picked in teams of the week every week before they even think they’re entitled to an NRL shot.

denis preston

First Grade
With a name like Navajo I would think Budda is a surprise nickname but obviously one given years ago. Looks good & I assume he has be brought on slowly ? If our coaching structure & mentoring is solid these 5 or 6 forwards coming through Matthews/Ball/Flegg may auger well for 2025 onwards. It's a fine line you walk between Pathways or marquee signings but I think we have chosen the right "Path " !

denis preston

First Grade
I don’t really think Sloan or Sullivan can say they truly deserve an NRL shot, neither of them dominate reserve grade and I feel like this is the bare minimum for them to be getting picked. They should be being picked in teams of the week every week before they even think they’re entitled to an NRL shot.
You dont think Bud has dominated in Reserve grade ?

st.phil

Bench

here are the highlights of Navajo's Jersey Flegg game over the weekend
man had a quick look and my takeaway was that the ref sounded like the sergeant out of full metal jacket (without the clever humour) FMD that is obnoxious and psychotic. The new gen of refs are more like cops than umpires - who is coaching these jobsworth psychos ?

Budpower

Juniors
man had a quick look and my takeaway was that the ref sounded like the sergeant out of full metal jacket (without the clever humour) FMD that is obnoxious and psychotic. The new gen of refs are more like cops than umpires - who is coaching these jobsworth psychos ?
yes as an oldie i despise the mike on refs, its damn irritating and spoils the game, i never have volume on too watch league now, i remember the intelligent commentary of moose, boland, etc from 7 and abc days, so these dumb dumb tasteless modern commentators are just thick corporate idiots to me and never shut up about trivial garbage during a game