What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Tamale looked very assured at fullback, I hope the coaches explore his potential as a fullback. Our back 3 were immense, both wingers should be in 1st grade imo. They were a class above NSW cup standard. Haele Finau was very good at hooker, showed great creativity in attack & smarts with his kicking. He should be given a shot at 1st grade this year, especially considering we could utilise his kicking game as an alternative to Hunt.

Very good performance from the NSW cup lads. They're putting pressure on the 1st grade players.

TheRev

First Grade
Just some more NSW Cup comments:

o Tamale I thought was ok, there is promise there ofcourse, and with Rumble in cup and Matt Feagai not rly needing to be @1, there is development opportunity.. esp if we have missed Blaize as is being reported. The #1 thing Tamale needs to do however is get that 'vertical run style' out of his game, Sloane has improved a little in that area.. Tamale keeps letting defenders pick him up, which was a big issue in the wet today, he lost so much ground on his carries.

o Buchanan I thought was good for his debut, had a few moments.. hes clearly a good ctr, its just he is quite little and I think the wet weather made it harder for him.. he couldnt really step into space.. he kept slipping.. and he was getting knocked over very easily.. but we do need young centres developing.. not sure on Johnston either, seems to be doing well, but not sure how seriously they would be moving towards first grade spots.

o I thought the forwards did a great job to stand up with the 400m couchies gone.. Coric started and had a great game.. Alec was powerful, MMolo was solid, would be great to get NickT in there real soon..

o Hookers.. I thought Mulheissen had a great game, he was really enthusiastic, pumping up the boys.. some desperate defence.. it worked quite well with HFinau coming on for stints and use his pace.. they are such different hookers with their strengths and weaknesses..

o LKT had a couple of moments but was a little quiet.. wasnt out of place though.. Glover was good enough for the most part.. I dont think hes a goalkicker though, more filling in due to lack of option.

o Im not 100% sure if we win that easily without Rava and CTui to a lesser extent.. those Rava carries really put the panther rookies in their place.

I cant help but wonder if the players getting promoted has sort of inspired a few players in reserves.. which is good... I think Flanno needs to lean into that energy, as just picking the same 17 each week might have worked at the sharks, but we need to keep these boys hungry and bring that energy.. that defence today was so good that im starting to wonder what is going on in Woolf land.. where did that come from?

Dragon David

First Grade

o Tamale I thought was ok, there is promise there ofcourse, and with Rumble in cup and Matt Feagai not rly needing to be @1, there is development opportunity.. esp if we have missed Blaize as is being reported. The #1 thing Tamale needs to do however is get that 'vertical run style' out of his game, Sloane has improved a little in that area.. Tamale keeps letting defenders pick him up, which was a big issue in the wet today, he lost so much ground on his carries.

o Buchanan I thought was good for his debut, had a few moments.. hes clearly a good ctr, its just he is quite little and I think the wet weather made it harder for him.. he couldnt really step into space.. he kept slipping.. and he was getting knocked over very easily.. but we do need young centres developing.. not sure on Johnston either, seems to be doing well, but not sure how seriously they would be moving towards first grade spots.

o I thought the forwards did a great job to stand up with the 400m couchies gone.. Coric started and had a great game.. Alec was powerful, MMolo was solid, would be great to get NickT in there real soon..

o Hookers.. I thought Mulheissen had a great game, he was really enthusiastic, pumping up the boys.. some desperate defence.. it worked quite well with HFinau coming on for stints and use his pace.. they are such different hookers with their strengths and weaknesses..

o LKT had a couple of moments but was a little quiet.. wasnt out of place though.. Glover was good enough for the most part.. I dont think hes a goalkicker though, more filling in due to lack of option.

o Im not 100% sure if we win that easily without Rava and CTui to a lesser extent.. those Rava carries really put the panther rookies in their place.

I cant help but wonder if the players getting promoted has sort of inspired a few players in reserves.. which is good... I think Flanno needs to lean into that energy, as just picking the same 17 each week might have worked at the sharks, but we need to keep these boys hungry and bring that energy.. that defence today was so good that im starting to wonder what is going on in Woolf land.. where did that come from?
Ben Woolf is quite a good coach for our KOE Cup team. Wasn't he the assistant defence coach for Hook? It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being his brother's assistant at the Dolphins from next year.

RedVee

First Grade
Saw the game from about the last 10 or so mins of the first half. I was impressed.
They seemed to me to be playing the same style that Flano talks about for firsts.
That is what they say is a strength at Penrith, all grades training and playing in a similar way so fill ins can do so more easily and successfully.
If so, it seems we are slowly moving the right way.

justadragon

Bench

Agree with you on Tamale Rev, he has to stop doing that little goose step thing he does prior to the line, I think it just sets him up as a target.

justadragon

Bench
Saw the game from about the last 10 or so mins of the first half. I was impressed.
They seemed to me to be playing the same style that Flano talks about for firsts.
That is what they say is a strength at Penrith, all grades training and playing in a similar way so fill ins can do so more easily and successfully.
If so, it seems we are slowly moving the right way.
Flanno made mention in his preview that they all train the same way, so nothing should be different, and yes that is one very good thing between last year and this that is very noticeable.

sammymills

Juniors
Watched this game last night on kayo replay, C Tui and Rava were immense. Looked a cut above the other players. Does Coric play like that every week? looked good and a real out and out prop. Dont know how he would handle the speed of 1st grade tho. Tamale looked good without being great, did some good stuff but also got rag dolled a bit so i dont know how much of an upgrade he is on Sloan (for those saying we should drop sloan and put him in).

That 18 year old Mclean kid for Penrith looks good, i saw him take about 9 runs and dont think we were able to put him to ground once. Going to be something special in years to come.

Great to see our defence toughen up and slug it out, Penrith had a mountain of possession and penalties and we kept repelling them. Fantastic attitude.

TheRev

First Grade
Does Coric play like that every week? looked good and a real out and out prop. Dont know how he would handle the speed of 1st grade tho.
I think the Couchmans do such long minutes that Coric doesnt get that much game-time.. he definitely looked good as a starting prop this week though, much more than I ever really notice him off the bench.. either that or maybe he was just revved up for the opportunity.

We always thought Coric would be the man, but its taken a long time to get to this point, and his dev spot is being eaten up by the flood of incoming SG/JF kids next year.. throw in that we are carrying underperformers like MMolo, Fifita & Lawrie.. and there really isnt room for anything but a train & trial contract imo.

NSW Cup: St. George Illawarra vs Parramatta​

Jersey Flegg: St. George Illawarra vs Parramatta​

1. Savelio Tamale
  2. Mikaele Ravalawa
  3. Ben Johnson
  4. Hayden Buchanan
  5. Christian Tuipulotu
  6. Lyhkan King-Togia
  7. Jonah Glover
  8. Alec Tuitavake
  9. Connor Muhleisen
  10. Josh Coric
  11. Dylan Egan
  12. Dan Russell
  13. Michael Molo

14. Haele Finau
  15. Jackson Shereb
  16. Levi Pascoe
  17. Thomas Freebairn
Four on the trot? Woolf has this side firing. They need the Feigais back tho. Matt has led them well and been far better at fullback than he ever was on the wing.
  1. Ben Rumble
  2. Cain Barnes
  3. Will Starling
  4. Benjamin Lavender
  5. Ethan Cliff
  6. Nicholas Quinn
  7. Ashton Ward
  8. Loko Jnr Pasifiki Tonga
  9. Kyan Hjaltason
  10. Jett Liu
  11. Nicholas Tsougranis
  12. Jacob Halangahu
  13. Hamish Stewart

14. Tyler Peckham-Harris
  15. Jacob Webster
  16. Finau Latu
  17. Cyrus Stanley-Traill

18. Ryan Hutchinson
Livewire midget TPH will add impact at #14. Jake in for a busy week as he is playing in the Schoolboy Cup too. Was unaware he was still school age. Jesse Williams must have failed his HIA so sits out this one. David Afu gone too. Why then did the coach not promote the impressive Lyric Craft-Te Moananui.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
The Raiders agreed terms with Sanders two weeks ago, the young No. 7 then going into a 10-day cooling-off period. Now that time is up he's able to put pen to paper to join the Raiders. It's believed that's now happened and he'll be with Canberra from 2025-2027 at least.

cant see if confirmed by the NRL or Canberra ???

that article probably makes it certain Ethan has gone to Canberra

Stewart
Strange
Sanders

very good playmaker recruiting so far.............very good for tomorrow if it all works out

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Oh yah sorry the Raiders somehow got his signature.. they signed a bunch of genuinely gun kids.. I think we had Blaize out the door also until Arthur got sacked which Moses was pushing for.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Oh yah sorry the Raiders somehow got his signature.. they signed a bunch of genuinely gun kids.. I think we had Blaize out the door also until Arthur got sacked which Moses was pushing for.
The Raiders had been after Sanders since last year. The change to the rules for negotiationg with development players stopped it until after round 10. He was always going to Canberra

TheRev

First Grade
SFlanno was on the Propaganda Podcast today.. the only name that gets me listening.. he did mention a few of the SG guys moving into JF.. that if they have a good couple of weeks they might move up again.. I think Hamish Stewart has to be one to move up also, he singled him out as a fave prospect.

Also sounded like he is looking more carefully at the Feagais as Lomax replacements next year if we dont get anyone else.. its a bit of an admission that we cant find someone else also.. I do hope the Val Holmes rumour is true though, cause he sort of ticks a few boxes for the cowboys having interest in moving him on with his cap value, the ex-cronulla thing and some class we could definitely do with.

RedVee

First Grade
SFlanno was on the Propaganda Podcast today.. the only name that gets me listening.. he did mention a few of the SG guys moving into JF.. that if they have a good couple of weeks they might move up again.. I think Hamish Stewart has to be one to move up also, he singled him out as a fave prospect.

Also sounded like he is looking more carefully at the Feagais as Lomax replacements next year if we dont get anyone else.. its a bit of an admission that we cant find someone else also.. I do hope the Val Holmes rumour is true though, cause he sort of ticks a few boxes for the cowboys having interest in moving him on with his cap value, the ex-cronulla thing and some class we could definitely do with.
And a goalkicker