What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Runner

Juniors
Letting the ball bounce after a clearing kick from the Warriors early in the second half (Tamale) was the start of the rot. This came after a great defensive set and resulted in a try against the run of play.

A string of penalties and strange calls against us followed and the match was gone.

King Togia was ok, Dylan Eagan tackled quite well. Fifita ran strongly when he came on but that was about it. Ryan Couchman did some strong work but came up with a couple of errors.

All in all a very disappointing performance.

Full time 18-4

TheRev

Coach
I dont know if anyone will have watched the Flegg game being in NZ.. would love to know how well TPH went and Williams on his return.. their origin players will be back next week...

I think its time to move a couple of the outside backs up though, that NSW Cup is too safe and slow.. ill make a post with some comments from the game.

TheRev

Coach
KOE.. we led for a long time.. we had plenty of ball on their line.. but there isnt enough speed or athleticism to do anything with it.. tbf quite a few times we went to the edges and the passes went just slightly behind the catcher.. who werent skillful enough to make the difficult catch.. maybe we would have score points if they had..

Some comments:
o Fifita had some big runs in his limited minutes.. but then he was gassed and missed a really simple tackle to let in a try.. this seems like such a familiar story.. no motor?
o Egan was defensively very strong.. in attack though hes kind of ho hum
o SFinau was rly good.. including a massive 1on1 tackle in the 79th minute to hold up a try.. he is rly one of the few guys with some speed and skill in the side, and def rdy to jump into 1st grade if needed.
o Tamale loves breaking tackles he seems the most likely to create something.. that said im not sure about his ability to help the team score points.. but given hes leaving I dont much care about him anymore.
o LKT i reckon gets a little better every week.. dangerous at times and some good defensive cleanup work.. hes not tearing it up though.. not yet.
o Shereb and Roberts need to be moved on, I dont want to be mean because they r rly solid and safe.. but they don thave the speed and skill necessary.. we need more out of outside backs.. gotta get Buchanan and Williams in next week imo.. I would also take this chance to move Tonga and NickT in..

Cant keep playing it safe imo, we were doing well off the back of a pack with 2 Couchmans, BMM, MMolo etc.. but cant take that for granted. Comparably the warriors had a tiny fullback that tore us apart and a few other athletes that when given half a chance really tore us apart.. we didnt have any such tearing on our side of the fence.

Good news, Vili only needs to do the basics well plus cut out the dumb stuff and he will realise his potential
They are easing Fifita back in game time wise since returning from suspension.
Played 25 minutes last round, and nearly 35 minutes v the Warriors.
Only has around 10 more rounds this season to prove to Flanagan that he is worth keeping heading into 2025.

TheRev

Coach
They are easing Fifita back in game time wise since returning from suspension.
Played 25 minutes last round, and nearly 35 minutes v the Warriors.
Only has around 10 more rounds this season to prove to Flanagan that he is worth keeping heading into 2025.
Yep I reckon he will be someone we will try to offload end of season, 1yr remaining wont be huge dollars, and im sure some other club would be keen to take a punt on a young prop who atleast looks like he has potential... even though we havent been able to get it out of him.. whether its just his age I dunno..

TheRev

Coach
S Finau, Tuitavake and Fifita all worth keeping for another year IMO.
SFinau is a definite keep, especially with Tamale gone.. and Ravalawa on the way out.. hes next man up, he might even be a starting 1st grade winger next year.

Fifita maybe stays... but he is going to cost us Tuitavake.. we need to tap a few because we only have 3 spots left and we have a number of positions we need to fill still.

SFinau is a definite keep, especially with Tamale gone.. and Ravalawa on the way out.. hes next man up, he might even be a starting 1st grade winger next year.

Fifita maybe stays... but he is going to cost us Tuitavake.. we need to tap a few because we only have 3 spots left and we have a number of positions we need to fill still.
Think there might be one or two surprises in our Development Squad list for next year.
Not sure if some players slated for a top 30 spot will end up being be a DS player in 2025, then into the top 30:in 2026.
Agree with your comments about Finau, but think Fifita will at least start next season in the top 30.

Don't apologise mate. For a website that's for the purpose of the highest rugby league competition in the country the fact the lethargy behind what they do is ridiculous
:100: and what they dont do too KW. Such as the lack of genuine play by play commentary plus detailed player stats. Flegg coverage does not even have stats. I sent an email to NSWRL on this matter. They did'nt even have the courtesy to reply.

Last edited: