What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Parko1310

Juniors
What the hell has happened to our JF side, so disappointed with this side, they have just imploded
I wouldn't be too concerned.. yet. A lot of chopping and changing this year with so many of our good SG players moving up to play throughout the year so they'd have been one of the younger teams in the comp.. if not the youngest. They'll be better for the experience and a year older next year and I think you'll find will handle it better. In this last game as well Latu went up to cup, as did Tsougranis and Stewart who has played mostly Flegg this year was in cup too. It's more of a progression thing I think and I'll only be concerned if they're not winning more next year and the year after

TheRev

Coach
Yep not too worried about flegg results.. the mashing of essentially 3 teams together (Existing Flegg + SG Dragons + SG Steelers) is messy.. but what really matters... is making sure our best talent is progressing through.

The other good thing about the competition is players who we previously thought were very promising.. are now having to defend their positions against quite often much better younger kids.. it means whoever does make it out of the washing machine.. will be a better chance of first grade success.

The forwards are looking great.. but the part I havent liked about Flegg however is im still not seeing the backs that are within 12-18mths of first grade.. I dont think theyre there yet.. some have the skill but not the size, some not the skill, some havent worked on their defense or effort areas.. I mean maybe LKT within 12mths could fill a few positions, but the rest just are not ready yet.. there is no 'Bostock v2' ready to go.... I think we should be chasing a halfback for our Top30 and an outside back for one of our spare development positions.. imo we should fill some of these gaps in our development... there are a couple more coming through next year, but these kids are 18 and still do go through SG Ball next year.

Parko1310

Juniors
Yep not too worried about flegg results.. the mashing of essentially 3 teams together (Existing Flegg + SG Dragons + SG Steelers) is messy.. but what really matters... is making sure our best talent is progressing through.

The other good thing about the competition is players who we previously thought were very promising.. are now having to defend their positions against quite often much better younger kids.. it means whoever does make it out of the washing machine.. will be a better chance of first grade success.

The forwards are looking great.. but the part I havent liked about Flegg however is im still not seeing the backs that are within 12-18mths of first grade.. I dont think theyre there yet.. some have the skill but not the size, some not the skill, some havent worked on their defense or effort areas.. I mean maybe LKT within 12mths could fill a few positions, but the rest just are not ready yet.. there is no 'Bostock v2' ready to go.... I think we should be chasing a halfback for our Top30 and an outside back for one of our spare development positions.. imo we should fill some of these gaps in our development... there are a couple more coming through next year, but these kids are 18 and still do go through SG Ball next year.
We've signed Saifiti (the winger) from Ipswich to start in Flegg next year, so hopefully that eases some of the headache in the outside backs. I'm pretty high on Hayden Buchanan, very young to already be playing cup and just needs to put on a few kilos. Hopefully hooker covered if Mason Phillips progresses well. For half, I'd be going pretty hard to bring Toby Rodwell back. Walker will re-sign at roosters, Sandon Smith will be in front of him, and I think they've got another kid who's a bit older who might get the jump on Rodwell as well. Genuinely a potential future star halfback, shouldn't have lost him. If we can offer him a clearer path to NRL, maybe he comes back? Reed looks good, but sometimes you've got to be ruthless. Rodwell is simply better and competition is good.

justadragon

Bench

Are we looking like the panthers at all, with their progression of juniors. I do get what you and Parko say, I'll make the call now, I would be grooming LKT to be a 6 and Flanno Jr a 7 for next year, cut Hunt loose or play him as a 14 for next year only.

TheRev

Coach
We've signed Saifiti (the winger) from Ipswich to start in Flegg next year, so hopefully that eases some of the headache in the outside backs. I'm pretty high on Hayden Buchanan, very young to already be playing cup and just needs to put on a few kilos. Hopefully hooker covered if Mason Phillips progresses well. For half, I'd be going pretty hard to bring Toby Rodwell back. Walker will re-sign at roosters, Sandon Smith will be in front of him, and I think they've got another kid who's a bit older who might get the jump on Rodwell as well. Genuinely a potential future star halfback, shouldn't have lost him. If we can offer him a clearer path to NRL, maybe he comes back? Reed looks good, but sometimes you've got to be ruthless. Rodwell is simply better and competition is good.
Saifiti and Reed were the 2 backs I was eluding too as being ~18 still.. 2 promising players but they arent going to help us any time soon.. and Saifiti is still a bit of an unknown.. hes more of a matty utai guy, I dont know if he has the full skillset yet.. Williams I thought was a sure thing but he hasnt grabbed it with 2 hands either..

Buchanan is the best example of a guy whos got all the skill but is too small still to play 1st grade.. all of these guys are talents, but none of them are 12-18mths away from helping us.. we have to keep bridging the gap imo.

I dont know the full Rodwell story, but if we've already lost him.. surely hes not coming back? Was it because we had Kade Reed in front of him? Only 1 of em can play Flegg 7 next year..

TheRev

Coach
Are we looking like the panthers at all, with their progression of juniors. I do get what you and Parko say, I'll make the call now, I would be grooming LKT to be a 6 and Flanno Jr a 7 for next year, cut Hunt loose or play him as a 14 for next year only.
I dont even know if LKT will make it yet.. he needs 12mths, then mid-season next year maybe he is injury cover, maybe he could even fill in at ctr or as a 14.. but we definitely wouldnt start the season relying on him. And I dont know about Flanno Jr, hes very serviceable, but I think maybe peeps r right, hes not enough of a leader to be a first grade 7... not unless there was a Gutho equivalent @6 to do said leading.

Latest posts