What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kogarah Oval Masterplan.

The Preacher

First Grade
I don't think they'd be game to not have a "Stoney's Slab" in there somewhere Willow, we wouldn't know where to meet without it.
I wonder where the gate will be this year, Willow?? We don't want our children mixing with "those other kids" at the jumping castle !! :shock:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
LOL! Got to keep the rabble apart.

For the loop, the security was attempting to stop western stand folk from mingling with those in General Admission.

During the Flegg, my son ventured into GA to where the Jumping Castle was. When I went looking for him, a woman with a clipboard followed me around and tapped me on the shoulder. She asked me what I was doing and I said I was only getting my kid. She replied with horror, "you left your son alone in there!?"

I was 'advised' to get back into the stand.

Preacher and I can now peer at each other across an invisible barrier. I think there's a force-field in place now.

The Preacher

First Grade
Willow said:
LOL! Got to keep the rabble apart.

For the loop, the security was attempting to stop western stand folk from mingling with those in General Admission.

During the Flegg, my son ventured into GA to where the Jumping Castle was. When I went looking for him, a woman with a clipboard followed me around and tapped me on the shoulder. She asked me what I was doing and I said I was only getting my kid. She replied with horror, "you left your son alone in there!?"

I was 'advised' to get back into the stand.

Preacher and I can now peer at each other across an invisible barrier I think there's a force-field in place now.

I call that "The Mrs":lol: . I feel sorry for that bloke on the gate, I sit across an unfenced aisle from what is considered "western concourse" and enter the ground through the grandstand entry gates, yet he's been told that we are not to mingle. I have a situation where I have 30 mtrs. to the grandstand bar and kiosk, where as it is 85mtrs to the closest GA bar area, I may be getting on, but I'm no fool. He just says hello now and lets me get on with business.

Thanks to whereis.com's new photo feature I have just got my hands on this rather recent aerial photo of Kogarah Oval.

KogarahOvalAerial.jpg

Goddo

Bench
bump.

With the master plan, I wonder if we are likely to get the Grandstand northern extension or the Jubilee avenue end seating once the redevelopment in Wollongong is completed.

Concidering the number of sell out games we had in 2009 at Kogarah (3 wasn't it?) and sustained growth in memberships, I think requesting funds for an upgrade in 2013 wouldn't be unjustified, and there will probably be a federal election around then too to milk.

Would probably cost around $6m for Jubilee Avenue end seating and $12m for the grandstand extension? We need to ensure that Jubilee Oval is seen as the premier site for a stadium in southern Sydney by politicians.

Things are really looking up for our club in both districts!

Goddo

Bench
Yeah thats the extension I am wondering about.

If you look at that plan, there is seating at the Jubilee end that is similar to that at the northern end of the ground that is yet to be built as well.

Funding in 2013 maybe? It would depend on State and Federal elections of course. Something for Doust to work on.

We had 3 regular season sell outs last year - 21k v Sharks, 17k v Bulldogs, 18k v Eels - and the Eels home final was sold out too, and we got 17k for the Storm game.

Knights and Chooks were the only games that were down, 13 and 15k, but both were on cold nights (esp Chooks game) during origin.

Certainly reasonable justification for a 2-3k extension in capacity, and with better facilities and more under cover seats, you would expect better crowds to poor weather games too.

Last edited:

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
Spending more at Kogarah is unnecessary.We only play six games a year times two games each time. An average of 4 to 5 hours each day.The ground is comfortable enough as is. Spending more will result in increased charges to the spectator. We pay enough as is.More grass areas please.

Cheers LANCELOT.:cool:

Goddo

Bench
If anything, the increase in corporate facilities will drive costs down and replace those horrible temporary stands currently there.

On Hills, they are nice and all, but they aren't exactly the future of the NRL's stadiums. Standing room terraces in a grandstand are the way to go long term.

Hills will slowly become a thing of the past. See SCG.

Acka

Coach
What would be your opinion if Kogarah Oval looked like this:

attachment.php

I would like it even more if you extended both stands out so they would join up behind both goalposts. But for that to be possible you would have to make Jubilee Avenue a No Through road and that would probably play havoc with the traffic and I'm pretty sure some of the local residents won't be too happy but a guy can dream can't he. (If anyone here is a whiz with photopaint I would love to see how it would look)

Acka

Coach
Spending more at Kogarah is unnecessary.We only play six games a year times two games each time. An average of 4 to 5 hours each day.The ground is comfortable enough as is. Spending more will result in increased charges to the spectator. We pay enough as is.More grass areas please.

One way they could get more funding for Kogarah Oval is to get more use of the ground by other sporting organisations. For example if the South Coast A League bid were to eventually get up maybe they could play one or 2 games at Kogarah and then you've got Southern Districts rugby union club, Maybe you can convince them that they can play their TV games at Kogarah Oval because I'm pretty sure the media facilities at Kogarah Oval leave the ones at Forshaw Rugby Park for dead and Southern Districts have played 2 home games in 2003 at Kogarah Oval.

Goddo

Bench
Concidering I did that drawing, I like it a lot lol. I would include two standing room terraces though, one at each end of an eastern grandstand, one for the home army and the other the away mob. And we can't get rid of the old scoreboard either. maybe plonk it at the top of a northern terrace.

You can't play union at Jubilee Oval. The ingoal area is just barely big enough for Rugby League.

But the soccer idea is good. A sort of St George Illawarra A League side using both of our grounds in the summer.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
What would be your opinion if Kogarah Oval looked like this:

attachment.php

I would like it even more if you extended both stands out so they would join up behind both goalposts. But for that to be possible you would have to make Jubilee Avenue a No Through road and that would probably play havoc with the traffic and I'm pretty sure some of the local residents won't be too happy but a guy can dream can't he. (If anyone here is a whiz with photopaint I would love to see how it would look)

Acka IMO it would be brilliant if the stands extended the entire circumference of the fence.

Acka

Coach
Acka IMO it would be brilliant if the stands extended the entire circumference of the fence.

I have the same opinion. You would have to make Jubilee Avenue a No through road though which would really disrupt traffic flow and piss off the local residents and council. But you could create a carnival type atmosphere on game days with food stalls and entertainment (Jumping Castles and Bands) and then on weekends when the ground isn't being used you could use the space that was occupied as Jubilee Avenue as a marketplace. Kind of like Bankstown Markets at the Bankstown Showground (Where they hold Bankstown Trots)

Spending more at Kogarah is absolutely necessary for the future viability of football in St George.

1. Capacity is at least 2k too low in the safety-conscious way the club has to sell tickets. Northern extension at Kogarah will get us close to that, or maybe all the way.

2. Additional corporate facilities would be very good. The new areas are good, but we defintely need more. Jubilee Oval is much better off now than before, but we need to be able to compete with the clubs that play out of the major grounds.

3. More improvements to the player (game day and training) facilities are highly desirable.

----------------------------------------------

On other notes, as someone who current sits on the semi-permanent (i.e. temporary) seats of the NW Terrace, they're not too bad. They were a means to an end in 2003 and they continue to serve a purpose adequately if not excellently.

We've been very lucky on the government grants front. As frustrating as it may be I don't think we can expect anything for a little while.