What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kogarah, Wollongong in turf war over Dragons final

Where do YOU want the first home final to be?

• Kogarah

Votes: 79 76.7%
  • Wollongong

Votes: 24 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OurRedV

Juniors
Mercury wrote:

Kogarah's WIN Jubilee Oval appears almost certain to win the battle within the St George Illawarra hierarchy over the right to host the Dragons' qualifying final next month.
While the joint venture is more tight-knit than ever this season as the NRL team closes in on a minor premiership, there has been a behind-the-scenes turf war developing between Sydney and Wollongong over the finals clash.

St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust said on Monday that a decision would not be made until after tomorrow night's showdown between the Dragons and Brisbane at WIN Stadium.

However, the Mercury has learned that the majority of the St George Illawarra board are in favour of hosting the game at the redeveloped Kogarah ground, meaning Wollongong's WIN Stadium will miss out on finals action.

A source has told the Mercury that the board has already agreed the game will be played in Sydney.

The NRL has yet to receive any official correspondence from the Dragons, but it appears there would need to be a major change of heart for the game to be held in Wollongong.

This is despite the fact much of the Dragons' football operations are based in Wollongong and the majority of players and coaching staff call the seaside city home.

If the Dragons secure the minor premiership ahead of the Bulldogs, they will play their qualifying final against the eighth-placed team on Sunday, September 13.

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
Well if Doust can be successful in getting win classified as regional, we would be able to have our week 3 game there and there is no dramas.

dragondad

First Grade
Week 3 is State,not regional.

Week 2 is a Regional Semi,however if we win in Week 1 we will go straight through to Week 3,and if we Lose in Week 1,we will be playing away in Week 2,so it's not an issue.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
simple solution.

1st half - kograh
2nd half - wollongong.

now for the logistics:

one bus for each team
cops required to close the highway so that only those from the ground can travel from WIN to WIN.

Doug2234

First Grade
simple solution.

1st half - kograh
2nd half - wollongong.

now for the logistics:

one bus for each team
cops required to close the highway so that only those from the ground can travel from WIN to WIN.

GOLD!!
Imagine the Road Train of Dragons supportes travelling down the highway. I got plenty of room for 6 blokes plus esky's in the back of my XR6 ute!!!

silverex

Bench
Week 3 is State,not regional.

Week 2 is a Regional Semi,however if we win in Week 1 we will go straight through to Week 3,and if we Lose in Week 1,we will be playing away in Week 2,so it's not an issue.

I wish everyone would read this and take note.

The 'regional' aspect doesn't come into play for us this year. :crazy:

Steel Dragon

Bench
you beauty..well done dousty. cant believe people have bagged you;-)

Weird how everyone who was a critic of Doust has gone quiet.
That being said, he really has pulled his head in this year.
There has only been the T-Shirt planning that he's made headlines over, and even then, it was a media blow-out that really made anyone care.

Kudos Doust!

slipperykinchela

First Grade
its one thing the players have been happy with is the less involvement of P Doust. I think its been good also for Doust that Bennett said he wasnt to come anywhere near the bench

TheRev

First Grade
I like the idea of WIN, seems like a fortress when we play there, with dragosn fans practically on top of the players. Also, Sydney supporters can more easily travel to homebush etc.. but whatever, both ground are good, alternating is probably a good solution.

I wish everyone would read this and take note.

The 'regional' aspect doesn't come into play for us this year. :crazy:

Are you absolutely sure? Think it was Phil Gould a few weeks back who said we were sneakily trying for regional status for Finals Week 3, maybe he just had it wrong. By the sounds of it, a lot of stars need to align for 'Regional Status' to make any benefit to a team during the finals...

Dragon

Coach
I voted Kogarah simply because WIN'gong had the last one. And if its anything like the crowd at the Storm game, it would be epic.

I just worry that it might be two games against Parra at the same venue, they might get used to it :p

Red Bear

Referee
Wollongong had the last home final so only fair enough this one is at kogarah
It should just go to whichever ground has the greater capacity, but there is about a bees dick between the two so in this case it doesnt matter too much.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Would be great at Kogarah.

Nothing against the Gong crowd - there's a been a majority share of games there in recent years including the most recent previous home semi.

It's Kogarah's turn.

teegy

Juniors
depends who we are playing. if its a team from out of Sydney then Kogerah. if a Sydney based team then WIN. try and keep as much advantage as possible

Yuly

Juniors
simple solution.

1st half - kograh
2nd half - wollongong.

now for the logistics:

one bus for each team

shouldn't this read from WIN to WIN to win (I like the idea)

j0nesy

Bench
shouldn't this read from WIN to WIN to win (I like the idea)

Haha, yeah one could say it's a WIN WIN situation...

I voted WIN Wollongong because I'm selfish. It's probably fair to play it at Kogarah. Either way I'm there.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Also, Sydney supporters can more easily travel to homebush etc..
Not backed by facts. When Homebush was the home ground in 07, we had some very low crowd figures. 6,000 at one match - fans voted with their feet. Most of us simply hate the place.

It's a sometimes held belief that Sydney is one town, one community. It is not. Kogarah has a following, just as Wollongong has.

Latest posts