What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Gidley to Remain a Knight

Frederick

Staff member
Kurt Gidley to Remain a Knight

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - Newcastle Knights

The Newcastle Knights are proud to announce five-eighth, Kurt Gidley, has agreed to terms for another three years.

A local junior, the 24-year-old’s retention was a priority for incoming coach Brian Smith, and Kurt is set to wear the blue and red until at least the end of the 2009 season.

“We’re certainly relieved to have secured Kurt before the June 30 anti-tampering deadline,” said Knights Operations Manager, Stephen Crowe.

“Apparantly there was a lot of interest from rival clubs so now Kurt has agreed to stay in Newcastle, we can turn our attention to the remainder of our 2007 playing roster.”

Gidley, who made his First Grade debut at EnergyAustralia Stadium against the Dragons in August 2001 (Round 24), was part of the Prime Minister’s 13 in 2005 and represented Country in 2004 and 2006.

“I’ve played all my senior football with the Knights and I’m grateful for the opportunity to be a part of the club’s plans for the future,” Gidley said.

“Every local junior hopes to one day play for the Knights so to have the chance to see out my career in Newcastle is a dream come true.”

His decision comes with the endorsement of Knights captain, Andrew Johns, as the club begins to plan for life after the star halfback.

“After the recent signing of Jarrod Mullen, Kurt’s signature guarantees the Knights future halves,” Johns said.

“Kurt has a great attitude to every aspect of his football.”

Meanwhile, outstanding Northern Territory talent, James McManus has also agreed to terms for a further two years.

The Knights Premier League centre is ear marked as a future First Grader and is expected to make the top grade as early as next year.
LINK

Frederick

Staff member
They need to fix their spell-check. Since when is 'centre' spelt 'five-eighth'?

Good news on McManus.

Burwood

Bench
His decision comes with the endorsement of Knights captain, Andrew Johns, as the club begins to plan for life after the star halfback.

“After the recent signing of Jarrod Mullen, Kurt’s signature guarantees the Knights future halves,” Johns said.

](*,) Don't tell me that Hagan has has even convinced Joey that Kidley is a 5/8!

northey

First Grade
happy for him that he knows where he is going to be, maybe just maybe he might be a better player now that he doesn't have the worry of his future...

Serc

First Grade
lol CWB!

Sorry had to quote it again to emphasise it...that looks rather worrying if you ask me. Not good news for Walsh either.

knights9

Juniors
Good signing as long as he plays lock which IMO is his best position.

And good news on McManus.

Nuffy

Bench
The fact that its 3 years means the value would probably be down, hes got three at a reduced price instead of the 2 year deal discussed.

Now lets get Simmo squared away.

The Devil

Bench
“Apparantly there was a lot of interest from rival clubs so now Kurt has agreed to stay in Newcastle, we can turn our attention to the remainder of our 2007 playing roster.”

They better be working their a$$e$ off to ensure that Simpson doesn't execise his contract clause and become a free agent. I still don't get how Kidley was more of a priority than Simpson.

Rod

Bench
I'm glad we've re-signed Kidley. I'm always been a fan of his and think he's got huge potential, hopefully Brian Smith can get the best out of him.

Agreed on Simmo too, we have to re-sign him!

Doctor

Bench
I don't have a problem with re-signing Kidley. He's fit, defends well and is a pretty handy player for presumably about $200,000... hopefully not too much more. My only reluctance in really liking this signing is this:

As others have said already, it says volumes for how the Knights plan to use him. I would hope that if Walsh is playing well enough, that he will be given a go. I'd like to see Kurt as a centre -- not in any way a demotion, but more reflective of the particular mix of abilities he has. It would be an opportunity for him to focus on his strengths -- lots of small link-up work, a bit of support play, the odd little kick and solid as a rock in defence.

Unfortunately it looks like we're still seeing Kurt as a genuine halfback or 5/8th in a full-strength side. Once again, I don't have a problem with that provided he is up to the task and there are not others (better options) who miss out. If Walsh comes through a does what he is currently doing, at the next level, I'd be a bit worried if Kurt remain in the halves. It would be a waste of two players.

snapper

Juniors
Happy to see Kurt re-signed. He is a player who has great footwork, a fairly good passing game, puts in 100% and can't kick for sh*t. Put him in the centres and never at 2nd receiver again please Mr Smith.

cram

Bench
I dont think you can pay too much attention to a media release, designed to sing the happy song of resigning our old mate Kidley. The question that really needs to be answered is where does Smith see Kidley fitting in??

Smith is now running, allbeit in a defacto capacity, this rudderless, no he is not coming back (LOL), ship lets see whether he can stop it from running aground with some astute buying, mentoring and coaching.