What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lack of media coverage???

Warriah!!!

Juniors
Is it just me or is this game not getting the media coverage it thoroughly deserves???

By media, I'm pointing the finger squarely at the gaming mags. I'm a regular buyer and I haven't seen a mere utterance about the game. If you were living under a rock and only had the mags to go on, you'd still be thinking a RL game was never going to be made.

I maybe wrong, but that's hardly a possibility. I certainly haven't seen any stories jump out at me or any new screens in any of the mags.

This to me is very disappointing as from what I've seen of the game. It certainly should be getting some time in the limelight. It's bloody typical, these people build up the hype on some of the shittiest games around and when a game can finally deliver on the hype, they don't seem to have any hype left.

Just on a side note guys. This is the first League game in over 7 years, I think we should all be grateful one is even coming out. It pisses me off to hear people complaining about little things, from the mundane to the ridiculous.

We have people crying because their team's kicker is kicking with his right and not his left foot. Or people want a certain kicker to take drop-outs. Or people don't think the crowds are realistic enough!!!!!!!

For all I care, Brent Webb can throw the conversions over, Mark Tookey can take our drop-outs and no one can turn up to watch the match. I'm just so pleased a game is finally coming out and for it to be of such a high quality is icing on the cake. Stop bothering Mario with your pathetic stupid questions :evil: STOP IT!!!!!!!!

Thanks very much to Mario, VodkaCircle, Legend and the rest of you for keeping us all up to play. May the release date come very soon.

PONGIA

Juniors
dont bother askin that question i once tried myself and as mario will tell u it went overboard... way way way overboard

TripleM

Juniors
Warriah!!! said:
Is it just me or is this game not getting the media coverage it thoroughly deserves???

By media, I'm pointing the finger squarely at the gaming mags. I'm a regular buyer and I haven't seen a mere utterance about the game. If you were living under a rock and only had the mags to go on, you'd still be thinking a RL game was never going to be made.

So how do you explain every shop getting 3 to 4 hundred preorders each?

Mario

Juniors
There has been plenty of media coverage. A quick recap

- appeared in Ralph, Hype, OXBM (with another two appearances lined up), PSM2, some PC game magazine, Big League, and a UK League mag

- appeared in Sydney Herald, Auckland Herald, DominionPost, more than once

- mention on Aussie radio station, and for 20 minutes earlier this week on NZ Radio Sport

- mention on the Sunday Footy Show, and possible upcoming appearance on Sky Sport this week

How many other games get mentioned in the last 3 media channels of that list at all?

axl rose

Bench
Warriah!!! said:
Just on a side note guys. This is the first League game in over 7 years, I think we should all be grateful one is even coming out. It pisses me off to hear people complaining about little things, from the mundane to the ridiculous.

We have people crying because their team's kicker is kicking with his right and not his left foot. Or people want a certain kicker to take drop-outs. Or people don't think the crowds are realistic enough!!!!!!!

After the latest video was released one guy was having a whinge because he didnt see any props doing a hitup. It was Canberra on the attack from about 10 meters out!!!! ahhh also other people were having a cry because the offload was to big or something stupid. I dont really know how Mario puts up with it, i would have been outta here long ago!

ghoti

Bench
I emailed Narayan Pattison, Deputy Editor of OPS2 (australian) about two weeks ago and he said they've been meaning to do an article for a while now but said they couldn't find much information as SIDHE and HES haven't had enough large-scale press releases as EA did in regards to Rugby.

I gave him links to trublu, this forum and rlgame.com and they said they have enough information to run a preview article on next issue's OPS2 which comes out October 2nd.

Interestingly enough, he said HES wouldn't give them a preview copy on the game to write up an in-depth preview on. I find this strange, but such is life.

I told him of Mario and his willingness to communicate with the public, so I believe they may have had a Q & A session with Mario recently to put in the mag if they really wanted to.

Anyhoo, there will probably be nothing new in the article, but it will reach a whole new, large audience.

Max

Warriah!!!

Juniors
Thanks Max.

Guys, I was mainly talking about the lack of coverage in the gaming mags. But it's good to know the game has got attention from other media sources.

I feel very strongly about this game and want to see it get the hype it deserves. This game is going to be huge and I can foresee EA trying to have a crack at the Rugby League genre once again after it hears what a huge success this game will surely be.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
I hope EA doesn't have a crack again.. they are too big of a company to take the care it needs to make a game like this... So glad SIDHE are making in as so far it's looking great... lets hope it all goes well and they have exclusive rights to the game for years to come and keep building on what they have done.

westhull

Juniors
Tap Twist Snap said:
I hope EA doesn't have a crack again.. they are too big of a company to take the care it needs to make a game like this... So glad SIDHE are making in as so far it's looking great... lets hope it all goes well and they have exclusive rights to the game for years to come and keep building on what they have done.

HERE HERE

matty w

Juniors
After EA's last attempts at rugby games, theyll probably be banned from doing any rugby genre games again! :lol:

There has been a lot of media attention considering the game is still a month away.
There is not much advertising for most games really so I don't think theres any worries, the word about the game will get around after people have it and it's in games mags being reviewed.

Matta

Juniors
Hey, consider this:

The largest way the game is getting around is by word of mouth. I found out from my brother, who found out from his friend... and I spread words to my friends (who rejected the offer, those little shits)... I know most of us spread the words to our friends, and they're gonna spread it to their friends, and so on...

With many people spreading the word anyway... having ads are still going to create more spread of word, as people who don't know about it spread the word to other people (who don't know about it)...

Anyway, enough people are gonna buy it so there'll be another version next year, I reckon. ;-) ;-)

Hey, consider this:

The largest way the game is getting around is by word of mouth. I found out from my brother, who found out from his friend... and I spread words to my friends (who rejected the offer, those little shits)... I know most of us spread the words to our friends, and they're gonna spread it to their friends, and so on...

With many people spreading the word anyway... having ads are still going to create more spread of word, as people who don't know about it spread the word to other people (who don't know about it)...

Anyway, enough people are gonna buy it so there'll be another version next year, I reckon.

Yeah I reckon word of mouth plays a big part with games, and also playing it at a mates place, don;t really need ads and special media attention.....the word will get out!

Goleel

Juniors
Well 84,000 people found out about the game this weekend at the two finals matches, so I'd say that's a healthy start. Also, my site gets on average 70-80 hits a day, and is increasing all the time, that's a lot of people finding out about this game all the time.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
TripleM said:
Warriah!!! said:

So how do you explain every shop getting 3 to 4 hundred preorders each?

Stores get distribution newsletters which are not available to the general public. And I agree that channel nine should at least be mentioning it on a regular basis on the footy shows and the finals coverage. Maybe have 702 ABC Sydney talking about it a bit. Send a letter to Warren Ryan someone!!!!

Mario

Juniors
DvdHntr said:
Stores get distribution newsletters which are not available to the general public. And I agree that channel nine should at least be mentioning it on a regular basis on the footy shows and the finals coverage. Maybe have 702 ABC Sydney talking about it a bit. Send a letter to Warren Ryan someone!!!!

We have had two plugs on Australian radio stations and a 20 minute chat on an NZ station (Radio Sport). Hopefully, we'll get some more 'free' tv and radio coverage as release gets closer.

Ray Warren definitely knows about the game. It is his choice on whether he wants to plug the game or not. I'm sure some fan letters prompting him to do so wouldn't go astray.

I reckon that once a release date is confirmed, then the media will definitely promote it since they'll have a concrete date to announce, rather than just a "coming soon" announcement.