What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lafai

BennyV

Referee
Appreciate your comments and anyone can have issues with injury etc however he did play almost every game so your comments re the style of the Dogs etc is probably more relevant.

Notwithstanding that if he needs a bit of space as you suggest how do we provide that with the current halves set up we have which is an old chestnut of mine and of course the forum's old chestnut of Rein's passing out of dumb half?

Are we providing an environment to get the best out of somebody who already had a quiet season or is he in fact the best fit to add to what we already have?

The answer to that lies in a) the roles of the halves and b) the role of the fullback. Assuming we dont land Roberts and play Mann at fullback, the additional ball player (with the right attacking structure) should put enough doubt in the defence to allow our centres some space. In addition, I am hoping that (regardless of jersey numbers) Widdop is given more of a halfback role - that is, first receiver, controlling the attck and more importantly, playing straight and direct. This allows Benji to drift a bit and gives more space to the outside backs.

Regarding what we have...one of the thinks that counts against PM is his versatility. He can be a very handy winger, which means that he will stay in the team with a strong left centre. Thinking of combos, a centre/wing combo of Lafai/Mata'utai is stronger than Mata'utia/anyone-else-we-have. Worked very well playing outside of Aitken and rotating in attack.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
The answer to that lies in a) the roles of the halves and b) the role of the fullback. Assuming we dont land Roberts and play Mann at fullback, the additional ball player (with the right attacking structure) should put enough doubt in the defence to allow our centres some space. In addition, I am hoping that (regardless of jersey numbers) Widdop is given more of a halfback role - that is, first receiver, controlling the attck and more importantly, playing straight and direct. This allows Benji to drift a bit and gives more space to the outside backs.

Regarding what we have...one of the thinks that counts against PM is his versatility. He can be a very handy winger, which means that he will stay in the team with a strong left centre. Thinking of combos, a centre/wing combo of Lafai/Mata'utai is stronger than Mata'utia/anyone-else-we-have. Worked very well playing outside of Aitken and rotating in attack.

100%. Widdop needs to take on the role of kicker and organiser and benji needs to do what he does best and just run.

since77

Juniors
Lafai was one of the form centres in 2014, but had an injury disrupted year in 2015, much like Nightingale did for us.
Roberts would be first choice but Lafai is a definite upgrade on Aitken. Don't understand the premature wraps on Aitken - he had a solid rookie year but its not like there'd be a long line of clubs waiting to swoop for his services if he was off contract at the moment.

getsmarty

Immortal
Tim Lafai signs with St George Illawarra Dragons for the 2016 NRL season

ST George Illawarra have secured a major signing coup with Bulldogs centre Tim Lafai set to join the club on a two-year deal.

The Samoan international informed Dragons officials on Friday afternoon he will join the club in 2016 after being released from his contract with Canterbury.

The 24-year-old became a free agent after receiving a release from the Bulldogs following their decision to recruit NSW Origin winger Will Hopoate.
The news comes as another blow for the Gold Coast, who were one of the clubs firmly in the hunt for Lafai, looking to make a key signing following the departure of James Roberts.
It’s understood the Dragons will announce the deal early Friday evening.
More to come.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-...-1227642181804

tumbidragon

First Grade
Pretty chuffed about this. Now for Bird and Roberts(Lafai indicates we've missed him imo) and our journey to the awesome side will be complete..

BigBoss

Juniors
Lafai is a great signing, he had an amazing 2014. Just watched some highlights moments ago.

Kids got plenty of speed; which is what we need. I honestly believe last season's dip in form was just due to injury.

At least we got one of em aye fellas. Fingers crossed on Roberts, god wouldn't that be amazing if we could get him too?

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
I'm getting a little excited now..

Worst case scenario backline
1. Mann
2. Nightingale
3. Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Matuatai

Best case scenario backline
1. Roberts
2. Nightingale
3. Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Matuatai

bmwpower

Juniors
Good signing. I personally think Marshall needs to go sooner rather then later. There's players out in the market who are in their prime who we should be signing aswell as lafai ,and I think marshall is on his last legs, taking abit of cap space

saints4ever

First Grade
I'm getting a little excited now..

Worst case scenario backline
1. Mann
2. Nightingale
3. Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Matuatai

Best case scenario backline
1. Roberts
2. Nightingale
3. Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Matuatai

Mann won't be out of the line up regardless of either scenario

tumbidragon

First Grade
So why does aitken miss out, I hope we don't lose him because of this nuffy

Competition and depth is a beautiful thing. We have a number of good players vying for a spot in the 17, which will only bring out the best in them. The cream will rise to the top, whether you like who that may be or not.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Watch GC go after Aitken. They missed out before, but they will throw big money at him now.

As for Lafai, good signing. With Dugan on the other side, then guys like Friz and Thomo on the inside, its fairly potent out wide. Great to get one back on the dogs, even though he was released!