What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lafai

possm

Coach
Hope this is true, the Dugan circus is over and not sure why the 3 amogo's Lafai, Mann and Milne, could not gave been signed up by now...surely we can multi-task!!!
We should then be looking at McInnes to extend - and not leave it to next year.
We are assuming that Millward has always wanted to sign Lafai, Milne and Mann. Think a little and you will realise that maybe Millward was thinking to ditch the 3 of them for 2018. All the forwards except Packer were extended very quickly. For 2018, Millward's white board will have:

Field
Nightingale
Aitken
Herbert
Macdonald
Widdop
Hunt

No Dufty, Milne, Mann or Lafai however, this season all of these players have grown in stature and importance to our squad. Lafai is fast becoming one of the best left centres in the completion and any assignment given to Mann is carried out in a very professional way. In addition Milne has shown he is a no nonsense right centre who is both robust and mobile in defence and attack.

jak

Bench
Such a bizarre thought that we are all stoked for Lafai's re-signing. This time last year we were all happy with the idea of his sacking.
When he's fit and in form he's in the top 5, maybe even top 3 centres in the competition. He's a master of the draw and flick pass, i'd love to be the winger outside him.

Hopefully he continues this form and doesn't get complacent after his extension.
I thing mary had a change of heart when bellamy showed interest.

Crush

Coach
He has been fantastic this year. I do hope he doesn't over-use the flick pass though. There have been times of late that I thought he should have held onto the ball and I am sure that opposition coaches will be saying watch the flick pass to the winger.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
He has been fantastic this year. I do hope he doesn't over-use the flick pass though. There have been times of late that I thought he should have held onto the ball and I am sure that opposition coaches will be saying watch the flick pass to the winger.

It's one thing to know the flick pass is coming, it's another thing to actually stop it.

Remember our left-side attack in 2010? Everybody knew what was coming, Young to Hornby, Hornby cut-out ball to Boyd, Boyd to Cooper and Cooper over to score or a Cooper offload to Morris to score.

It happened every time, it was so predictable, not flashy at all, but no-one could stop it because of the flawless execution.

BrissyRedV

Bench
It's one thing to know the flick pass is coming, it's another thing to actually stop it.

Remember our left-side attack in 2010? Everybody knew what was coming, Young to Hornby, Hornby cut-out ball to Boyd, Boyd to Cooper and Cooper over to score or a Cooper offload to Morris to score.

It happened every time, it was so predictable, not flashy at all, but no-one could stop it because of the flawless execution.
Same with the Gasnier shimmy shimmy and his flick pass as well.

Crush

Coach

Yeah I was thinking that as I made that comment...
Still can't believe Lafai is playing so well. Cannot wait till Widdop comes back and starts linking up with him again.
Potent!

ellskimore

Juniors
Yeah I was thinking that as I made that comment...
Still can't believe Lafai is playing so well. Cannot wait till Widdop comes back and starts linking up with him again.
Potent!

The other thing to consider is that it generates uncertainty from the opposition players marking him. They know he can flick pass so effectively that it creates a doubt in their mind whether to come in or stay out.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
When he was interviewed by Kerry O'Keefe early in 2016 on 2GB Mark Gasnier spoke glowingly of Tim Lafai. It was only early in this year that I could see what he was talking about. I am now a great advocate of Lafai and rate him in our top three performing backs along with Widdop and Mann. Hopefully Lafai, Mann and Milne will be re-signed soon and other local backs will make their marks.

possm

Coach
Funny, this year he is exciting with a bit of space, last year we almost groaned when he was in space , the bloke had lead in his feet. Great work by the performance team getting him fit. Would have been a massive task!
Yes and these days when you do good for players by improving their fitness after injury or assist them back into the game after trouble, it is as if that is what you suppose to do. No loyalty when it comes to the end of a contract. No thought that without the Dragons very big heart, you would probably be out of the game earning 60k p/a instead of playing in the NRL for 400k - 750k p/a.

Imo it was also being let go bu the Dogs that may have been a factor also.

To be just tossed aside the way he was from a club that he had come through the junior ranks at must have stung a little.

I have to say with Dugan and Packer gone why is Millward dragging his feet again.

He has been doing a decent job keeping alot of the better juniors coming through and keeping people like Vaughan for longer but he needs to start doing more.

Gareth67

First Grade
Without a doubt , a complete turnaround from last years performances , he now is fully fit plus , as said by others , that wonderful flick-pass and also a great step . Can only see the man getting better as the season goes on , perhaps a real winner come semi-final time .

hazzbeen

Bench
Without a doubt , a complete turnaround from last years performances , he now is fully fit plus , as said by others , that wonderful flick-pass and also a great step . Can only see the man getting better as the season goes on , perhaps a real winner come semi-final time .
Gareth that sounds sweet , COME SEMI FINAL TIME .......