What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lance Hohaia

ozbash

Referee
probably played 50+ games as a combination with Mannering

dont exagerate

Manu is famous for coming in, so is Jro, so (it seems) is Inu. Sounds like a tactic (sliding d) to me and they get caught out. Fissiahi was doing it all night...

I think there is a communication problem with Manu and Mannering, Mannering is a 2nd rower and plays like one out wide. Manu and Jro had an understanding, Manu would know when the pass was on,, with Mannering he dies with the ball (he's a defensive 2nd rower) and when he does pass, Manu's not ready..

So, coming in = coaching.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Well consdering Jerome Ropati and Vatuvei were a poor defensive combo for a lot of 08/09 I'm going to discount that post.

And I'd like to see you prove me wrong that Mannering and Vatuvei haven't played enough games together to form a combination, I'm sure at the very least its 30 odd games.

Scorpio30

Bench
Cleary's selection process has improved out of sight compared to his other (dismal) years, but how Hohaia, Heremaia AND Berrigan get runs ahead of Mara, I will never understand.

Both Heremaia and Hohaia are shit. Heremaia passes like a cement mixer and takes the most idiotic dummy half runs I've ever seen. Hohaia thinks he's this amazing half who for some inexplicable reason has found himself at dummy half. Neither of these crapshoots play like hookers. f**k them both off and get Mara in for 80mins. I don't care if he's running on empty at the end of the game, there is literally no way he could be worse than those two.

First spell last night was textbook example.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Hohaia is a dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, DUMB footballer, even in his 10th season of first grade, who somehow has a reputation as a "smart footballer" amongst some.

He just reeks of NFI and always has

_addict

Juniors
To some extent wingers will and should come in when it's appropriate. Knowing when is the thing. Sadly the choices were so very wrong against the Cowboys.

Seeing a winger come in at the right time is alright. Although he didn't always get it right it was sweet when Meli and his shoulder came in to make their presence felt.

Iafeta

Referee
Pullleeaaasseee. Anyone fair dinkum putting any onus on anyone BUT Manu Vatuvei for Manu Vatuvei's disgraceful defensive reads needs to report to OPSM as soon as possible. Goodness gracious me. Last week, game on the line, the defensive line is scrambling on the line but is ok, Benji has the ball, Vatuvei decides to race 5 metres in for absolutely no reason whatsoever leaving Beau Ryan open to score the match winner. This week, last tackle, Cowboys have the ball at dummy half, defensive line is in the best possible structure possible, all are doing their job, dummy half is looking for some kind of miracle option, Manu gives it to him by running 5 metres in field (before falling over) for absolutely no reason whatsoever. How bad a read was it? Well, the centre still nearly got the winger into touch. So, ergo, if the winger had have been in his rightful position there's no chance whatsoever of a try being scored bar a really poor missed tackle which shouldn't happen in those circumstances at this level. Two or three sets later, Manu someway, somehow, gets caught IN BEHIND the player two in on his side. IN BEHIND! What is he? A soccer sweeper? End result, big line break, Locke ankle taps the runner, Johnson saves the day in scramble.

Manu is without a doubt in the top 5 worst defensive wingers in the competition. Not because he can't tackle (he can), but because he thinks its paramount on him that everytime the ball goes his way that he race up and in and try to catch thin air. Great ball runner (although the fumbling hands are back it seems) but a horrific defender. The pity of it was, Fisiiahi decided he'd follow suit. God only knows why. Thurston sensed it and smashed them both for it, yet they kept repeating the dose, over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Golly me, you'd think costing the game last week would be an opportune time to address the issue, not for Manu it seems.

Iafeta

Referee
To some extent wingers will and should come in when it's appropriate. Knowing when is the thing. Sadly the choices were so very wrong against the Cowboys.

Seeing a winger come in at the right time is alright. Although he didn't always get it right it was sweet when Meli and his shoulder came in to make their presence felt.

Meli got caught out countless times as well. As did Henry Fa'afili. Jerome Ropati had the disease for a while as well. I don't know what it is with Warriors outside backs but its horrible defence.

Krisnan Inu goes alright with it when he's playing wing. He doesn't come in that much, but when he does, he either gets the ball receiver as they receive the ball to cause a knock on or a good one on one tackle, or he does it when the team is say 20 metres out, close to the sideline, and so effectively can only really cut back in should he miss anyway. Vatuvei... he's just clueless.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Pullleeaaasseee. Anyone fair dinkum putting any onus on anyone BUT Manu Vatuvei for Manu Vatuvei's disgraceful defensive reads needs to report to OPSM as soon as possible. Goodness gracious me. Last week, game on the line, the defensive line is scrambling on the line but is ok, Benji has the ball, Vatuvei decides to race 5 metres in for absolutely no reason whatsoever leaving Beau Ryan open to score the match winner. This week, last tackle, Cowboys have the ball at dummy half, defensive line is in the best possible structure possible, all are doing their job, dummy half is looking for some kind of miracle option, Manu gives it to him by running 5 metres in field (before falling over) for absolutely no reason whatsoever. How bad a read was it? Well, the centre still nearly got the winger into touch. So, ergo, if the winger had have been in his rightful position there's no chance whatsoever of a try being scored bar a really poor missed tackle which shouldn't happen in those circumstances at this level. Two or three sets later, Manu someway, somehow, gets caught IN BEHIND the player two in on his side. IN BEHIND! What is he? A soccer sweeper? End result, big line break, Locke ankle taps the runner, Johnson saves the day in scramble.

Manu is without a doubt in the top 5 worst defensive wingers in the competition. Not because he can't tackle (he can), but because he thinks its paramount on him that everytime the ball goes his way that he race up and in and try to catch thin air. Great ball runner (although the fumbling hands are back it seems) but a horrific defender. The pity of it was, Fisiiahi decided he'd follow suit. God only knows why. Thurston sensed it and smashed them both for it, yet they kept repeating the dose, over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Golly me, you'd think costing the game last week would be an opportune time to address the issue, not for Manu it seems.

Finally someone talking sense. You see the thing is though Iafeta, Manu is not an Aussie import so it makes him immune to criticism. I would love to see the reaction of the people on here if that had be Denan Kemp for example doing those defensive reads against the Titans (where they score two tries in about the space of 10 minutes against Manu because he came in field for no reason in particular) and the last two weeks against the Tigers and Cowboys. The one last night was a ridiculous effort.

Last edited:

_addict

Juniors
Meli got caught out countless times as well. As did Henry Fa'afili. Jerome Ropati had the disease for a while as well. I don't know what it is with Warriors outside backs but its horrible defence.

Krisnan Inu goes alright with it when he's playing wing. He doesn't come in that much, but when he does, he either gets the ball receiver as they receive the ball to cause a knock on or a good one on one tackle, or he does it when the team is say 20 metres out, close to the sideline, and so effectively can only really cut back in should he miss anyway. Vatuvei... he's just clueless.

Agreed on Vatuvei being clueless.

As you've pointed out Inu's selection isn't too bad, and your above description of his work was what I was alluding to.

Meli often used to give me half a heart-attack at times, because his choices were at times baffling, and although I'm not, and didn't endorse them, his play did at least at times pay dividends, Manu's choices make him look like a chump.

joseph1

Juniors
Solution: Manu rested for one week, Vulcans the next. Add the bye in there and that should be enough for Manu to get refreshed, get his confidence up, then come back to FG. It worked for Ruben in 08. Maybe even two games for Vulcans. We can still afford it at this time of year and dominating some young winger in NSW Cup should br just what the big man needs to return to form. Cleary has to show us he has some balls and make the call. The Ericson faithful will accept the decision. Bring in both Moon and Billy Tupou. Mannering to Lock, Taylor to second row.

ozenzud

Juniors
I agree with posters that Manu should be given a spell. I have always forgiven him his defensive lapses because he was such an attacking asset. But whether he hasn't managed to get a combination with Mannering or what, that attacking effectiveness is gone. So, what we are left with is a net liability.

Hohaia cops a lot of crap on here because he is not a structured footballer. He can sniff out a try and would have had one last week if SJ had have been a little calmer. Hohaia is not a half because he isn't an organiser or structured footballer. I'm not a Mara at the moment. I think he will come on, but still has work and experience to gain.

Latest posts