What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest IMG proposals for Super League

Wb1234

Immortal
“They got no points for their academy despite it producing multiple top level players over many years so they decided there was no point spending so much money going forward for no (grading) purpose. Similarly, they got minimum points for catchment area because the latter was limited to the borough of Merton which is crazy given their nearest rivals are Midlands and Cornwall. Those two determinations were probably the worst ones decided upon in the whole IMG plan.“

This was posted on an English forum

Pretty disgraceful if true

Perth Red

Post Whore
“They got no points for their academy despite it producing multiple top level players over many years so they decided there was no point spending so much money going forward for no (grading) purpose. Similarly, they got minimum points for catchment area because the latter was limited to the borough of Merton which is crazy given their nearest rivals are Midlands and Cornwall. Those two determinations were probably the worst ones decided upon in the whole IMG plan.“

This was posted on an English forum

Pretty disgraceful if true
There’s a few changes I’d like to see in the grading criteria, jnr investment/academy and reserve grade being a key one. I also think the crowd attendance / stadium utilisation needs a tweak.

the locality one is tricky, they need to have a defined geographical boundary to measure population reach on. They’ve gone with local govt area as it’s probably the easiest to define and measure. It doesn’t help london for sure. costing them 0.5 points. only other way would be a distance radius but it would be very hard to get any sort of accurate population data doing it that way. Then how far do you go? could you argue hfc and hkr should be able to count Lincolnshire and North Yorkshire as there’s no RL clubs in those locations and they are relatively close by? I can see why they’ve done it but it doesn’t help london for sure.

Wb1234

Immortal
There’s a few changes I’d like to see in the grading criteria, jnr investment/academy and reserve grade being a key one. I also think the crowd attendance / stadium utilisation needs a tweak.

the locality one is tricky, they need to have a defined geographical boundary to measure population reach on. They’ve gone with local govt area as it’s probably the easiest to define and measure. It doesn’t help london for sure. costing them 0.5 points. only other way would be a distance radius but it would be very hard to get any sort of accurate population data doing it that way. Then how far do you go? could you argue hfc and hkr should be able to count Lincolnshire and North Yorkshire as there’s no RL clubs in those locations and they are relatively close by? I can see why they’ve done it but it doesn’t help london for sure.
London city

Did Salford get all of Salford city or any of Manchester as well

Perth Red

Post Whore
London city

Did Salford get all of Salford city or any of Manchester as well
It’s determined on local govt boundary and population. So Salford would not be greater Manchester, it is city of Salford ie 200k not 2.8million. your idea opens up all sorts of arguments and claims. Ie Perpignan and Toulouse claiming the whole of France as there’s no other French clubs in English comp or St Helen’s claiming whole of city of Liverpool region ie 1.5mill instead of 200k. And so it would go on.

Wb1234

Immortal
It’s determined on local govt boundary and population. So Salford would not be greater Manchester, it is city of Salford ie 200k not 2.8million. your idea opens up all sorts of arguments and claims. Ie Perpignan and Toulouse claiming the whole of France as there’s no other French clubs in English comp or St Helen’s claiming whole of city of Liverpool region ie 1.5mill instead of 200k. And so it would go on.
It’s obvious the criteria is weighted against expansion clubs

London is literally a club for all of London

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s obvious the criteria is weighted against expansion clubs

London is literally a club for all of London
its no such thing, there’s a lot of clubs that would score more if you took your approach. If london can claim the whole region Why couldn’t St’s claim all of Liverpool or Salford all of manchester or Wakefield the whole of the borough of Wakefield? London metro is huge, claiming a fan reach 55 miles away is a stretch.

sucks for those clubs but it’s a simple way to determing population without the arguments. In londons case oif it was changed it would give them an extra 0.5 points which would only move them from 24th to 22nd. They’ve got a lot more to work on than their population!

its a bot of a furphy criteria anywhere, and actually put in to support expansion to big cities eventually, not much point in having a population of 10mil if only 2k care.

Wb1234

Immortal
its no such thing, there’s a lot of clubs that would score more if you took your approach. If london can claim the whole region Why couldn’t St’s claim all of Liverpool or Salford all of manchester or Wakefield the whole of the borough of Wakefield? London metro is huge, claiming a fan reach 55 miles away is a stretch.

sucks for those clubs but it’s a simple way to determing population without the arguments. In londons case oif it was changed it would give them an extra 0.5 points which would only move them from 24th to 22nd. They’ve got a lot more to work on than their population!

its a bot of a furphy criteria anywhere, and actually put in to support expansion to big cities eventually, not much point in having a population of 10mil if only 2k care.
St Helen’s isn’t Liverpool lmao

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty funny about putting clubs in big cities and nobody caring and your views on nrl expansion into Perth and Adelaide
If there was a uk city of 2.3 million that was getting 20k-40k crowds to SL games being played there you might have a point. But there isn’t, so you don’t. Where as in Australia there is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What did hull kr score on the geographic portion vs London ?
London would have scored 1 for a population between 130-260k

hkr and hfc would have scored 0.75 each for a population over 260k but divided by the two clubs.

I Expect London to have scored better this grading due to winning championship and some other improvements but still no where near a top B grade that would keep them in SL. Hopefully they can find a new investor who can do a better job than the last one in improving the clubs structure and fan reach.

Perth Red

Post Whore
St Helen’s isn’t Liverpool

London is London
You’re being very simplistic. St Helen’s is in the Liverpool city region. Merton is in the greater London region. Same same.
grading system uses local authority population for clarity and equity. If I was London I’d be questioning if it is where your stadium is or where your hq is. There’s numerous boroughs in London with a 260k+ population they could move to if they could lay claim to it being where the club Is based. Sometimes you have to play the game. There’s some pretty socially deprived areas of London with big populations that rugby league could be a very positve thing for.

IMG_2015.jpeg

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
You’re being very simplistic. St Helen’s is in the Liverpool city region. Merton is in the greater London region. Same same.
grading system uses local authority population for clarity and equity.

View attachment 95376

So is widnes

Ask a scouser if they think st Helen’s is part of Liverpool
London would have scored 1 for a population between 130-260k

hkr and hfc would have scored 0.75 each for a population over 260k but divided by the two clubs.

I Expect London to have scored better this grading due to winning championship and some other improvements but still no where near a top B grade that would keep them in SL. Hopefully they can find a new investor who can do a better job than the last one in improving the clubs structure and fan reach.

Why divided by two hull fc are the bigger club

The fact hull kr got 0.75 in the geography component and London got 1 is all I need to know that the criteria was rigged against expansion sides

Did Toulose get the entire city of Toulose or just some random suburbs

Perth Red

Post Whore
So is widnes

Ask a scouser if they think st Helen’s is part of Liverpool

Why divided by two hull fc are the bigger club

The fact hull kr got 0.75 in the geography component and London got 1 is all I need to know that the criteria was rigged against expansion sides

Did Toulose get the entire city of Toulose or just some random suburbs
Geez you’re hard work, I didn’t set the grading criteria lol

yeh 10k crowds at hkr v 3k at London. Population boundaries really matters :)

if anything it’s rigged against heartland clubs, farcical London score more catchment points than popular clubs like hkr and hfc.

Wb1234

Immortal
Geez you’re hard work, I didn’t set the grading criteria lol

yeh 10k crowds at hkr v 3k at London. Population boundaries really matters :)

if anything it’s rigged against heartland clubs, farcical London score more catchment points than popular clubs like hkr and hfc.

We aren’t talking about crowd criteria

We are talking about geography criteria

I was thinking of staying up but 4 am is too late for me

Perth Red

Post Whore

I was thinking of staying up but 4 am is too late for me
1am here, it’ll be messy by then With my nerves already!
I was still contemplating jumping on a plane right up to Wednesday lol

Perth Red

Post Whore

presumably the criteria is there in the belief that bigger population reach will equal larger following for the club. Whilst it’s a great aspiration it’s not really reflected in reality.

Latest posts