What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest news Brisbane Bid

joshreading

Staff member
The NRL should initially own the club entirely and invite partners both corporate and community. A club that has strong corporate connections (like bombers) a geographical heartland (like the Ipswich bid) and broad base support (like brothers) could be massive.

Canard

Immortal
The NRL should initially own the club entirely and invite partners both corporate and community. A club that has strong corporate connections (like bombers) a geographical heartland (like the Ipswich bid) and broad base support (like brothers) could be massive.

Do they have the warchest (ala AFL) to do this though?

Johnnie Red

Juniors
Another Brisbane CBD team will fail spectacularly...much the same fate as the Crushers.
A team with no identity and no geographical representation will fail to attract any significant number of fans.

An Ipswich bid playing temporarily out of Suncorp seems an obvious choice.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Another Brisbane CBD team will fail spectacularly...much the same fate as the Crushers.
A team with no identity and no geographical representation will fail to attract any significant number of fans.

An Ipswich bid playing temporarily out of Suncorp seems an obvious choice.

So, if "Broncos = Rooster", your saying it would be better of forget a StGeorge-type or Souths-type and instead go with a Panthers clone...

Really??

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do they have the warchest (ala AFL) to do this though?

If they get $1.7billion as muted they will have. Even if the grant goes upto the reputed $12mill a club that would be around $230mill a year to the clubs (taking into account the extra payment to Storm plus two new clubs with some extra support to them to get up and running). A $1.7bill is $350mill a year plus the non media money the NRL earns which will be up around $150mill by then. So that's $500mill a year, $220mill to NRL clubs and $280mill to run the RL in this country!

My big concern is the NRL is currently spending something like $180mill a year more than it did 5 years ago and what are we seeing for it? We talk about clubs wasting money but Im not seeing a great return on investment from the NRL at this point in time.

Canard

Immortal
If they get $1.7billion as muted they will have. Even if the grant goes upto the reputed $12mill a club that would be around $230mill a year to the clubs (taking into account the extra payment to Storm plus two new clubs with some extra support to them to get up and running). A $1.7bill is $350mill a year plus the non media money the NRL earns which will be up around $150mill by then. So that's $500mill a year, $220mill to NRL clubs and $280mill to run the RL in this country!

My big concern is the NRL is currently spending something like $180mill a year more than it did 5 years ago and what are we seeing for it? We talk about clubs wasting money but Im not seeing a great return on investment from the NRL at this point in time.

$180 M as a combined club total or the NRL??

Also would it not be better to spend "someone" else's money on a new club?

BuffaloRules

Coach

I share your concerns with this.

They are spending shed loads more on Admin and running the game, but the amount going to junior development is paltry.

They still seem to be leaving the majority of junior development to the eight or so NRL clubs that actually give a f**k about their junior bases...

With talk of $300 Million coming their way, they need to entirely take over the development of junior leagues, not just here but in NZ and the Pacific as well...

RoosTah

Juniors
The Brothers were founded in the 1920 and are rooted deep throughout most of Qld...

They have a fuller history and a longer history (literally) than most clubs in the NRL today!!

Founded as what though? Do they have strong financial backers and do you think they'd be embraced?

Diesel

Referee
Could the QRL form a team with former/current BRL clubs under the name Brisbane United? If the Brothers bid is 75% of the way there but things like branding or separating fans by going for a Brothers only bid then why noy look at this option

RoosTah

Juniors
Could the QRL form a team with former/current BRL clubs under the name Brisbane United? If the Brothers bid is 75% of the way there but things like branding or separating fans by going for a Brothers only bid then why noy look at this option

No, "United" is a stupid soccer name that never makes sense. For instance, how is Manchester "United" if there's another side named "City"?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Founded as what though? Do they have strong financial backers and do you think they'd be embraced?

- A BRL Rugby League Club. (so, no different to any of the older NSWRL clubs)

- Their finances would be no different to the Bombers or any other new club; they would probably have an independent board, separate from the Confraternity, to set up sponsorships and Leagues Club partnerships. (The key being that the money would go back into funding the Brothers clubs across the state, rather than the private investors pockets)

- Embraced?? Probably (again, no less than a new brand). But the would be more divisive than any other option, with is a big plus; it doesnt matter if a club is loved or hated as long as they inspire SOME emotion (Think Manly/Souths/Easts), the worst thing a club can be is non-offencive (think Titans/GWS/etc; trying to please everyone).

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Nah, some these BRL brands are pretty strong on their own...

If there was to be a 3rd SEQ team, or the Brothers werent an option, id say bring back the Valley Diehards or promote one of the current QRL teams.

I would just worry that a combined team would try to please everyone (look at the clusterf*ck the WTigers have created; 3 home grounds and no club jersey)

No, "United" is a stupid soccer name that never makes sense. For instance, how is Manchester "United" if there's another side named "City"?

But we do have a side called Brisbane...

Tommy Smith

Referee
A Brisbane Bombers team playing out of the Brisbane CBD would be an absolute disaster.

Who the f**k would follow them? And don't even get me started on the truly awful name.

It has to be a team from another geographical region away from Brisbane City. At least a Brothers bid team could capture the hearts and minds of the average working class Qlder.

Diesel

Referee
It's pretty fair to say the Bombers would be a disaster. I'd like to think Shane Richardson has one of his lackies trolling these fan forums getting an idea what people think

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It's pretty fair to say the Bombers would be a disaster. I'd like to think Shane Richardson has one of his lackies trolling these fan forums getting an idea what people think

Im just confident that Richo would understand the value of history, given his time at Souths...

Diesel

Referee
If it stays at 16, I'd really like to see relocation instead of creations of new clubs, especially for WA or NZ. A NSW club in QLD could go either way in for support.

We've lost so much history with clubs and some some have so much history or marketability it'd be worth reviving if possible. Bears, Jets, (Glebe or Perth) Reds could fit just about anywhere.

spoonman

Juniors
A Brisbane Bombers team playing out of the Brisbane CBD would be an absolute disaster.

Who the f**k would follow them? And don't even get me started on the truly awful name.

It has to be a team from another geographical region away from Brisbane City. At least a Brothers bid team could capture the hearts and minds of the average working class Qlder.
I have no problems with the bombers name nor the corporate ideology that comes with the club. Why wouldn't you try and mimic the way Brisbane is run? I also know a few people that would gladly be season ticket holders. If the brothers/ispwich bids were more convincing then I would back them... But they aren't.
The brothers history argument is a mute point. They will be looking for financial survivabilty... Not history in choosing a new team.
Also there are plenty of companies fighting right now for naming rights on the broncos jerseys for 2017... There is plenty of corporate dollars to go round in Brisbane.

Brisbane Babadooks would be awesome.

They could play in red and black.

And have a fking scary mascot that heckles visiting fans.