What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell is not a fullback

Chimp

Bench
It's OK to swear in some instances but not others?

Or if you pretend you didn't mean it, that's OK?
No, but it’s understandable that in the heat of the moment, the odd swear word slips out - and once players realise, more often than that, they apologise and it doesn’t happen again in that interview.
These guys are paid silly money to be ‘partners of the game’, which like it or not, means they’re expected to act professionally, with integrity and to wherever possible create a positive image of the game. They’re given hours and hours of media training and are expected to be respectful on camera and in public.
Many people are ok wirh swearing nowadays, but many are not, and certainly not children - and whilst it might have been late, given the footy had just finished, and we’re trying to market ourselves as a family sport, it’s quite conceivable kids would be listening, or would go hunting for Latrell interviews the next day.
Letting the accidental F-bomb slip accidentally and then apologising is 1 thing, as it’s a genuine accident and players show remorse…. Banging them out repeatedly, acknowledging it, saying you don’t care and continuing on with it… that’s being an attention seeking prick, with no class or respect. He acts like he’s a pillar of the indigenous community, but I’m sure plenty of the elders from that community wouldn’t be enamoured by his carry on, and I doubt any parents from that community (or any other for that matter) would want their kids watching that interview and be saying to their kids ‘there’s your hero, be just like him’.

Even in 2024, it's clear Australia society is uncomfortable with anyone of indigenous background being loud and outspoken.
Don’t disagree but I also think there’s a fair proportion of fans who are just pissed off with the NRL’s inconsistency. They do appear to be treading on egg shells when it comes to Latrell. Players get sanctioned where Abdo takes the time to have a personal meeting with him and then do nothing.

Canard

Immortal
No, but it’s understandable that in the heat of the moment, the odd swear word slips out - and once players realise, more often than that, they apologise and it doesn’t happen again in that interview.
These guys are paid silly money to be ‘partners of the game’, which like it or not, means they’re expected to act professionally, with integrity and to wherever possible create a positive image of the game. They’re given hours and hours of media training and are expected to be respectful on camera and in public.
Many people are ok wirh swearing nowadays, but many are not, and certainly not children - and whilst it might have been late, given the footy had just finished, and we’re trying to market ourselves as a family sport, it’s quite conceivable kids would be listening, or would go hunting for Latrell interviews the next day.
Letting the accidental F-bomb slip accidentally and then apologising is 1 thing, as it’s a genuine accident and players show remorse…. Banging them out repeatedly, acknowledging it, saying you don’t care and continuing on with it… that’s being an attention seeking prick, with no class or respect. He acts like he’s a pillar of the indigenous community, but I’m sure plenty of the elders from that community wouldn’t be enamoured by his carry on, and I doubt any parents from that community (or any other for that matter) would want their kids watching that interview and be saying to their kids ‘there’s your hero, be just like him
1710880803362.png

Canard

Immortal
Don’t disagree but I also think there’s a fair proportion of fans who are just pissed off with the NRL’s inconsistency. They do appear to be treading on egg shells when it comes to Latrell. Players get sanctioned where Abdo takes the time to have a personal meeting with him and then do nothing.
Any examples of this?

Any examples of this?
Toby Rudolf post game comments and Brandon Smith podcast swearing come to mind. No fines, I think but Integrity Unit called in to investigate any they were nothing compared to Lattrell’s spray and neither had a personal meeting with Abdo. Honestly, if they just said, Integrity Unit will investigate, it’d be put to bed by now.

Canard

Immortal
Toby Rudolf post game comments and Brandon Smith podcast swearing come to mind. No fines, I think but Integrity Unit called in to investigate any they were nothing compared to Lattrell’s spray and neither had a personal meeting with Abdo. Honestly, if they just said, Integrity Unit will investigate, it’d be put to bed by now.
The same Brandon Smith who did swear on live TV?

The same one that got a gigantic 1 game ban for cocaine use?

Bazal

Post Whore
Since when is being a f**kwit an offence in Australia?

Or one worthy of a suspension or fine in the NRL?

Did I say it was, though?

Tbh he should have been fined for the interview once it got to the point where he said he DGAF about his conduct, but the issue you've raised is essentially that it's only because he's indigenous and "outspoken" that people have a problem with it. Which is complete rubbish because he is a well known f**kwit and deliberately carrying on like a f**kwit in an interview isn't being outspoken, it's just being a f**kwit.

Iamback

Coach

Tbh he should have been fined for the interview once it got to the point where he said he DGAF about his conduct, but the issue you've raised is essentially that it's only because he's indigenous and "outspoken" that people have a problem with it. Which is complete rubbish because he is a well known f**kwit and deliberately carrying on like a f**kwit in an interview isn't being outspoken, it's just being a f**kwit.

The knowingly swearing and being a knob is the issue for me

Canard

Immortal

The knowingly swearing and being a knob is the issue for me
If we are fining people for being f**kwits, then it's a long list.

Just pure coincidence that this fake culture wars bullshit happened so shortly after the Spencer Leniu incident, I guess.

Bazal

Post Whore
If we are fining people for being f**kwits, then it's a long list.

Just pure coincidence that this fake culture wars bullshit happened so shortly after the Spencer Leniu incident, I guess.

So which is it? Is he just a f**kwit and shouldn't be fined for it? Or is it "culture wars"? Are you saying it's cultural for blokes of Indigenous descent to be f**kwits?

That's not a great way to frame it. It could almost be called racist...

yobbo84

First Grade
He's never spoken like that before on camera. Not once.

I can't help but think it was a direct response to the NRL, the media, and social media telling him to shut up for days, for simply defending a fellow indigenous man that was racially vilified.

There was definitely a deliberateness in his actions.

Canard

Immortal
So which is it? Is he just a f**kwit and shouldn't be fined for it? Or is it "culture wars"? Are you saying it's cultural for blokes of Indigenous descent to be f**kwits?

That's not a great way to frame it. It could almost be called racist...
It's a storm in a teacup that's being beat up by the media.

And some, are taking advantage of the situation to lash out, because he had the hide to say something last week.

Iamback

Coach

I can't help but think it was a direct response to the NRL, the media, and social media telling him to shut up for days, for simply defending a fellow indigenous man that was racially vilified.

That is likely true.

Standing up for Ezra also wasn't the issue. It was commenting on potential punishment

Bazal

Post Whore

Absolutely. He's a f**kwit