What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell Mitchell

Old Timer

Coach
Charity Shield means something to Dragons and South’s fans. I know it means nothing to a Manly or Tigers fan but it means something to us.
They’ll play that game at close to full strength sides.
Not so sure as to exactly how much the Charity Shield meant to us during Mc Fookknuckle's time as he had a squad of around 24 maybe more running on and off of the paddock and some of them spending more time in the running on and off than they did actually playing.

I will know it means something when we pick a side that looks like our round 1 team plus maybe 2 or 3 newbies who will be likely to get a start in the NRL during the year save any players with niggling injuries that might get agitated.

Crush

Coach
Not so sure as to exactly how much the Charity Shield meant to us during Mc Fookknuckle's time as he had a squad of around 24 maybe more running on and off of the paddock and some of them spending more time in the running on and off than they did actually playing.

I will know it means something when we pick a side that looks like our round 1 team plus maybe 2 or 3 newbies who will be likely to get a start in the NRL during the year save any players with niggling injuries that might get agitated.
I was trying to make the point to the other non-SGI poster that charity shield isn’t just a trial. It has a history and some meaning.
I didn’t like the fact that a Tigers/Manly fan was in this forum disrespecting the charity shield or charity “Sheila” as he/she called it.

BLM01

First Grade

i disagree there OT.
Souths over the past few years have always had their big stars rested or not play in this trial and had reggies players who just seemed to stand up
If anything McKnucklehead was under some sort of pressure to win a CS. Did he in fact win one?
He used to save his best starting side in his mind to the 1st half of the CS barring injury and we have still been lapped, looking like a team that had not learned or practised anything in the pre-season except trying to look fit.

Last edited:
The Perth nines resulted in bad injuries to Cam, Sims and Dufty.

As best as I can recall, these injuries extended into the season proper and the early dragons results were not the best but for a willing game v smug.

Even Fester was upset, although it went way over his head that it was he who put them at risk in the first place.

It’s great that people still follow the tradition of the shield but I’d point out that you are in the player availability cycle that doesn’t leave too much fat to toy with.

I’d be adopting a low risk strategy for non regulation nrl games. The best players, they don’t really need too many trials and conditioning compared to youngsters. They know their way around or pick it up in about....2 seconds.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
i disagree there OT.
Souths over the past few years have always had their big stars rested or not play in this trial and had reggies players who just seemed to stand up
If anything McKnucklehead was under some sort of pressure to win a CS. Did he in fact win one?
He used to save his best starting side in his mind to the 1st half of the CS barring injury and we have still been lapped, looking like a team that had not learned or practised anything in the pre-season except trying to look fit.
Haven’t won it since 2012 and it has never been important enough in that time to force a win to break the “start the year a loser” cycle.
In Mac Gregor’s time it was just a trial and they were never that important to him anyway.
Little more than an opposed training run.
Hopefully Hook has a settled squad of 17 plus a couple and he is ruthless in wanting to start the year in emphatic style.

TruSaint

Referee
Charity Shield means something to Dragons and South’s fans. I know it means nothing to a Manly or Tigers fan but it means something to us.

Yeah agree.

It has always been a highlight for me. More than a "trial'.

In Fact if you look at some of the crowds, they make the NRL season proper look average. In 2002, we got 36,000 plus at the CS.

Whilst we don't get 2 points, this game matters. Always has.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I'd love to see Ravalawa on the right edge with Ford at lock in the Charity Shield game. I'd also like to see Ramsey given a half a game at fullback and Matt Feagai given a half a game on the left wing.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'd love to see Ravalawa on the right edge with Ford at lock in the Charity Shield game. I'd also like to see Ramsey given a half a game at fullback and Matt Feagai given a half a game on the left wing.
I'd say that this could be a possibility possm. I think Ford might be the starting lock.

It has become too much like a trial. Not enough about winning. Too much about experimentation.

Have it permanently the season opener. And worth double points.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Damn.

I thought we had signed him based on all the activity in here