What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latu in trouble?

LESStar58

Referee
If he did punch this woman, the COA the Sharks have to take is simple:

F**K HIM OFF!

Its not good enough! We are supposed to be cleaning up the game and getting rid of this sort of behaviour! The game has suffered with Coffs Harbour and such. Latu should have his contract torn up!

shadow grinder

First Grade
LESStar58 said:
If he did punch this woman, the COA the Sharks have to take is simple:

F**K HIM OFF!

Its not good enough! We are supposed to be cleaning up the game and getting rid of this sort of behaviour! The game has suffered with Coffs Harbour and such. Latu should have his contract torn up!

he admitted to hitting her...so there is no if. and he was tonight sacked by the sharks :)

brook

First Grade
Lego_Man said:
Where to from here?

Souths?
Gold Coast?
Raiders?
Dogs?

The statement from the NRL seems pretty clear that they don't intend to re-register him so it wont be an NRL club.

shadow grinder

First Grade
what about his apology when speaking to the media?

he said sorry to his team mates the nrl and the club.....what the girl doesnt deserve an apology? i know he said sorry straight after he did it...but ffs...

Danish

Referee
Rather than go back through and withdraw any posts i'd just like to say that Latu is absolute scum.

He admited to the exact same story as told by the girl. Any offence to her by questioning her story i apologise for and i hope Latu burns in hell like the scum he is.

Danish

Referee
Rexxy said:
"Cronulla hooker Tevita Latu is facing the sack after admitting to the NRL club he punched a teenaged woman in the face." http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/bulletins/sport/200605231846/b4907d0

Yes, he admited it now. So its sorted. Taking the word of a stranger isnt generally my go (hence why i didnt jump on the lynch mob bandwagon for the dogs and Coffs etc)

Rexxy said:
That's the wrong answer. No excuses. Ever. Ever. Haven't you seen the Chopper Read ad?

Threatening a family member or my own life is reason enough. Latu, however, had no reason.

Rexxy said:
"
Post like an idiot, get treated like one. How can you question anyone's integrity, let alone someone you've never met.

I find it much easier to question a stranger's integrity than those that i already know. If i know them, i KNOW if they are trustworthy. Strangers i wouldnt have a clue about, so i take it with a grain of salt. In this case, i waited to find out what actually happened before declaring Latu is scum.

He admited it. So now i know he is scum. Easy

JoeD

First Grade
He's been derigistered by the NRL and apparently they and SL have an unwritten agreement not to sign any players deregistered by the other. Latu's pro football career is gorn. Does this punishment (effectively hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost earnings) fit the crime?

Skinner

Coach
JoeD said:
He's been derigistered by the NRL and apparently they and SL have an unwritten agreement not to sign any players deregistered by the other. Latu's pro football career is gorn. Does this punishment (effectively hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost earnings) fit the crime?

That's a difficult one Joe. I guess, if you look at the great pains the NRL
has taken to relay the message, that violence towards women is completely
unacceptable, then whilst the punishment, in terms of lost earnings, appears
harsh, it really should come as no surprise to anyone.

I am not necessarily comfortable with that though. I would have preferred
to have seen a finite term of deregistration - two or three years perhaps,
with the player needing to fulfil certain criteria such as anger management,
junior team coaching, junior refereeing etc before applying for registration
again.

As a poster on another forum said ; if he'd belted a bloke, he would have
got a fine.

Cheers
Skinner

gunnamatta bay

Referee
JoeD said:
Two years deregistered I think is a suitable punishment.

Not to mention what he gets when he fronts court. Does he have previous form? If found guilty (lets not forget he hasn't entered a plea yet) any criminal past will be presented to the beak prior to sentencing. Then there is the stigma he must wear within his community in NZ.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
JoeD said:

The Sponsors & fans pay his wages. How much in sponsorship & fan revenue would the NRL & the Sharks have lost if they looked to be going easy on a woman beater? Latu left them with no other option Im afraid.
And as for saying he would have only got a fine if it had of been a bloke, it wasn't a bloke, it was a 19yr old girl & it wasnt a little slap it was a full blown punch to the face that broke her nose. Although I wouldnt be surprised if he does get into a few blues with blokes now if he shows his face around the regular Shire nightspots, dont imagine many people are to happy with him.

JoeD

First Grade
How much in sponsorship & fan revenue would the NRL & the Sharks have lost if they looked to be going easy on a woman beater?
deregistering a guy for 2 years doesn't sound like going easy on him to me.

SamBackosHead

Juniors
When Noah Nadruku hit a woman at a Canberra night club yack in the 90's they set a precedent for how clubs should deal with these incidents.

girvie

Staff member
JoeD said:

I don't think it fits the crime compared to a lot of other footballers who have only had fines or 1 match suspensions for things that are much more dangerous such as drink driving.