What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lauititi

JasonE

Bench
If he goes to Wigan, what does that mean for an old timer like Cassidy and an up and coming youngster like Tickle or Wild.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Don't mind Lauitiiti coming over to be honest. All the players you mention are pants anyway. Ali has the potential to be an absolute star in Super League and one thing for certain is that he will drain Wigan of the cash they need to sign proper centres.

Overseas players in Super League is a joke though. Something needs to be done about it. My theory is that there should be a bias with TV money towards clubs who bring through their own players and have British players in their first team. For example Bradford and Hull should get less money than the other teams who survive with only 3 or 4 NRL players.

Bullseye

Juniors
The trouble with that is that you'd punish clubs who are not breaking any law.

I know it's ridiculous when the likes of Wakefield can field 11 overseas players in one team but simply penalising them financially isn't going to help.

pommie_raider

Juniors
How can Wigan fit Ali under there salary cap, when they had to release Great Britain player Paul Johnson to the Bulls and young Shaun Briscoe so they could meet it?

Doesn't make sense to me! :|

Asim

Juniors
LesleyVainikolo5 said:
How can Wigan fit Ali under there salary cap, when they had to release Great Britain player Paul Johnson to the Bulls and young Shaun Briscoe so they could meet it?

Doesn't make sense to me! :|
The report I read said he's signed up from the start of next season, so the cap shouldn't be a problem for the moment, the question it leaves is what will Lauititi do for the best part of a year before he gets playing again?

xXSANDYXx

Bench
is he definatly going to wigan then? because i found this today on http://www.wigantoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=68&ArticleID=784630 i want to see him go to saint helens
Saints battle for Ali

Wigan look set to lose Test ace Ali Lauitiiti to Challenge Cup final rivals St Helens.

The Kiwi second row forward has now officially parted company with New Zealand Warriors and is looking to join a new club straight away.
But as salary cap restrictions mean Wigan can't afford him this season – and their current overseas quota is full anyway – Lauitiiti is expected to be snapped up by a club who can take him on board for the rest of this summer.
Down Under, St Helens are being tipped as the favourites to land the 24-year-old Samoan, but there is competition from Manly Sea Eagles and South Sydney, the only two NRL clubs thought to have enough money left to pay him under the Australian wages ceiling.
Wigan chairman Maurice Lindsay confirmed Warriors could only afford Lauitiiti next year.
He said: "We would be interested in the lad, but not until next season.
"Only then we would have room to manouevre under the salary cap and the quota which is full at the moment."
Lauitiiti, regarded as one of the best off-loading forwards on the world stage, is expected to make his final decision later this week.
But even if St Helens do snap him up. he would not be able to face Wigan in Challenge Cup final at Cardiff later this month.
Meanwhile Lindsay believes some clubs could be exploring overseas loopholes to get round the salary cap.
He said: "There are some clubs that have very sophisticated methods including off-shore payments described as employment benefit trusts.
"These give clubs a sneaky advantage, but personally I doubt the legality of that kind of payment."

04 May 2004

DrewBeliever

Juniors
Why, so we can be called even more New Zealand Bulls!
Bah I'm sick of the away supporters calling us that, those I wouldn't mind a world class layer like him, just have to pish Logan Swann off! :lol:

DrewBeliever

Juniors
He was class at the Warriors, just they had lot's of talented players in his position, and he fell out of favour with Anderson.

I think he's finding it hard to addapt to the squad, as it's got alot of youngsters and new ones coming in, the weather snot been too good with the ball handelling, but I think he had a good game against Wigan, just haven't seen the class since.

Tose, we can't use those excuses, and we have to get along, I think he only made about one handelling error yesterday, that's a big improvement from the Wire match mid week.

Hopefully when everyone's back, we can get Pratt into hooker, and take of pishy Robbie Paul. he's too old! Reardon is our No1 fullbakc and Nobby know's it.

AliN

Live Update Team
yes it's official, Ali's going to Leeds and is expected to play his 1st game on the 28th May.
Good luck to him at his new club.
Our loss is hopefully their gain.

MjM

Juniors
DrewBeliever said:
I hope it's no gain, so where does this push David Furner now that Ali has joined the Rhinos? :?
Furner will retire as planned at the end of the season. Dunno about Adamson, but it would probably be for the best if he went too - if not just to prevent his head exploding with the belief that he really is the world's best everything rather than just a gobby niggly Aussie.

DrewBeliever

Juniors
Yeah, he's retiring, but it's not fair to push Furner out for the 2nd half of the season, now that Ali has signed.
To say Furner was handed that place in the squad for the season, before his retirment.

MjM

Juniors
DrewBeliever said:
Yeah, he's retiring, but it's not fair to push Furner out for the 2nd half of the season, now that Ali has signed.
To say Furner was handed that place in the squad for the season, before his retirment.
I don't think there's been any suggestion that Leeds will have to get rid of anyone due to this signing. There has been speculation about what impact it will have on the team make-up and the overseas berths for next year, but no-one will have to make way for Ali in the squad this year.

Furner of all people isn't going to be pushed out as he's playing pretty well so far this time around.

MjM

Juniors
JoeD said:
Can anyone report on how he went in his first game?
Came on after about 30 mins, did a couple of big hits in both attack and defence, put on a few decent offloads and then came off again. Came back on towards the end but went off to the blood bin not long after.

He looked absolutely knackered in the pre-match warm-up TBH and is clearly nowhere near up to match fitness yet. But there is clearly a lot more to come from him. It will be interesting to see whether Smith plays him in the Bradford game next week - they effectively accommodated him this time around by resting Furner, but in a game against decent opposition we can't afford to have anyone who isn't up to speed. A couple of run-outs for the Academy might be in order before coming into the first team each week.

Latest posts