What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lawyers could pounce if Taylor shuns Titans deal

by: Margie McDonald From: The Australian April 30, 2012 12:00AM
LAWYERS could decide David Taylor's fate if the Test backrower decides to back out of his plan to shift to the Gold Coast next season.

Luke Lewis famously exercised the right to renege on an arrangement under new NRL rules when in 2008 he opted to stay with Penrith after the Panthers matched a lucrative four-year deal he had made with South Sydney.

Taylor was offered more money to stay with the Rabbitohs but chose the Titans because he wanted to move home to Queensland. However, it has since emerged that he is reconsidering the move. Taylor signed a letter of agreement with the Titans last month, although a full contract cannot be registered until after round 13.

However, the Titans could use the letter of intent in a potential legal battle. Souths are in the top eight and the Titans are 15th with two wins from eight.

Taylor's form with the Rabbitohs has moved up a few pegs this season. He scored his fifth try in Saturday night's win over North Queensland along with making 30 tackles, 16 runs, eight tackle busts and three line-breaks.

It was that type of form that earned Taylor a starting spot in the Australian side. Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire said yesterday the big 23-year-old had not spoken to him about having second thoughts.

"I haven't heard anything from Dave about the (Titans) deal, or where he's at, (or) what to do with his career," Maguire told ABC radio. "If that event arises, then we'll have that conversation."

Meanwhile, Maguire thinks Greg Inglis can go to another level playing back in the No 1 jersey, a position he played when the pair were both with Melbourne Storm.

"The opportunity arose (at Souths) and he's doing very well, although I think there's a lot of improvement again in him because it's a position which continually evolves," Maguire said. "Billy Slater obviously has shown the fullback position has gone to a new height now. Greg is just picking up a lot of those new things."

Inglis took over at fullback when Nathan Merritt succumbed to a toe injury. Merritt returned to the side on Saturday night on the wing but Maguire plans to switch the pair at will.

"I've got the luxury now of being able to adapt. I've got a world-class centre playing fullback so I could always push him into the line and give Merritt some time out the back," he said.

"It's a good place to be as a coach."

http://www.theAustralian.com.au/spor...-1226342113676

Fire

First Grade
Looks like Rugby League is going to have another Loltzen drama on it's hands again.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Bring it on, the Tits will have to get a loan from the NRL first to pay the Lawyer or maybe there Lawyer will except Taxi vouchers from Peter Slipper

If I was a player manager, and I was signing players to the Titans (or any other club with a precarious financial position who swore they were good for the money), I'd be asking for a BANK GUARANTEE.

That way, if the club falters, you cash in the bank gtee and you let the bank chase up the club.

Didn't Steve Turner back out from the Titans when they first came in? Maybe Taylor's lawyer should be looking after his client and ensuring they have a chat with Turner's manager/lawyer.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
gilpq.png

hunters

Juniors
I thought Maguire said he didn't want him.
Not sure i've ever seen him quoted as saying that, think that was just the opinion of a few people that pose as being close to action. The article above seems to indicate that the Souths deal is actually larger than the Titans. If true, it's hardly a case of not wanting him.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Hopefully he does reconsider. But even if he doesn't that article implies we'll have a lot of flexibility under the cap moving forward. That's always a good thing.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Lol. Looks like Titans are worried. Maybe they should be more concerned about keeping the football club out of debt before splurging more money on lawyers. If the contract isn't registered I don't see how they have a case. Loltzen set the precedent there.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
actually the main difference with loltzen vs taylor is that loltzen still had a year to go on his contract & the tigers wouldn't release him..

given that taylor is out of contract, he's not bound to stay at souffs..

hmmm...

we've got a fair bit of cash to spare without loltzen's $250k.. add to that the $250k per season beau scott was offered + our need for a new backrower now that beau scotts' gone..

i'm pretty sure dousty has already made the required approach to taylors manager to see him in the red & white next year...

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
the courts will no doubt find the letter of intent legally binding so taylor will be a titan unless they grant him a release if he was to request one

Paul Hewson

Juniors
There is a rule in the NRL that Souths have until round 13 to put a counter offer on the table as they won't register any contracts until after that. There is nothing that the Titans can do about it. Just like Lewis did a few years ago.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Paul is correct. The rule is there for a reason. If Taylor wants to back out the NRL will have to support him in it - otherwise what's the point of having the round 13 clause

BunniesMan

Immortal
Dave can back out if he wants to. Doing a Lewis is what I like to call it.

Hopefully the rumours are true.

Latest posts