What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lay off Luke!

Hello to all. Finally got a recognised email address so I could add my thoughts.

It disappoints greatly to read so many supporters putting the knife into Luke Burt.

While he may not be the worlds greatest, he has been around for a long, long time working his butt off and getting bashed from pillar to post each time he brings the ball back. If he was the size of Hindy I have no doubt he would be making 40 tackles and doing 15 hitups as well.

He has demonstrated an ability to sniff out a try by supporting the ball carrier but sadly the opportunity to do so no longer comes his way through being perched out on the wing and no real ball players.

With all the crap we went through earlier in the season (and still going through e.g. robson) around the halves, I wonder was he ever a consideration at 5/8. A player of his cool and experience might well have flourished and provided guidance to morts and some of our younger forwards etc..

If, as some other threads suggest, he is off to the rabbits in 2010 then I think he deserves to be shown a little more respect in his remaining time here.

If we had a few others that tried as hard week in week out we may well be in a better position than we are.

Had to get that off my chest... hopefully my next post will be something more positive after we thump the dogs this weekend.

BGB

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Hello to all. Finally got a recognised email address so I could add my thoughts.

It disappoints greatly to read so many supporters putting the knife into Luke Burt.

While he may not be the worlds greatest, he has been around for a long, long time working his butt off and getting bashed from pillar to post each time he brings the ball back. If he was the size of Hindy I have no doubt he would be making 40 tackles and doing 15 hitups as well.

He has demonstrated an ability to sniff out a try by supporting the ball carrier but sadly the opportunity to do so no longer comes his way through being perched out on the wing and no real ball players.

With all the crap we went through earlier in the season (and still going through e.g. robson) around the halves, I wonder was he ever a consideration at 5/8. A player of his cool and experience might well have flourished and provided guidance to morts and some of our younger forwards etc..

If, as some other threads suggest, he is off to the rabbits in 2010 then I think he deserves to be shown a little more respect in his remaining time here.

If we had a few others that tried as hard week in week out we may well be in a better position than we are.

Had to get that off my chest... hopefully my next post will be something more positive after we thump the dogs this weekend.

BGB

Hi HJ:nwave:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I wanted Hayne at fullback for 2 years. But since the shift to wing Burty has been terrific. 99% of the forum will tell you that. So not sure where this show Burt some respect is coming from.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I wanted Hayne at fullback for 2 years. But since the shift to wing Burty has been terrific. 99% of the forum will tell you that. So not sure where this show Burt some respect is coming from.

It was as clear as daylight in 2007 that Hayne was far better at FB, yet some people were naive on this board, and didn't want to hear it. Since his move to wing he has been solid, and would be happy for him to stay there.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm always a fan of club loyalty, and I don't think it's fair people put the boot into him and say such a loyal servent should be axed but then expect our better players to commit long term. Loyalty is dead in the game from both sides of the fence with several exceptions including Hindy and Burt. I don't want to see him leave our club.

the_eel

Juniors
I think in general most of the supporters like Luke Burt and appreciate his loyalty and time within the Club. That said i guess some people are just of the opinion that if it were to come down to a choice of losing Grothe or Burt they'd rather lose Burt. Thats not an attack at Burt however more of a reflection of the value of Grothe to the side. Thats my opinion on it anyway!

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
It was as clear as daylight in 2007 that Hayne was far better at FB, yet some people were naive on this board, and didn't want to hear it. Since his move to wing he has been solid, and would be happy for him to stay there.

Mate, if you toot your own horn any more IT WILL FALL OFF.

Yes, you made a call and it proved correct - mention 3000 more times and you will still be just as correct and people will still be just as disinterested!

parraeelz

Juniors
look hes been great for us n pretty solid on the wing
but the game is evolving with bigger n stronger outside backs
its jus time for him to move on now
hes had a good career

bradeel

Juniors
I hear you and I tend to agree that Burt has been a very solid servant of this club and deserves better than SOME of the criticism that is aimed at him. That said, those fans wanting Burt shifted from fullback so that Hayne could take over would be feeling very very vindicated at the moment and rightly so.

I think your best bet is not to pay too much attention to the groundswell of support or criticism that you read on these forums. I'm not saying that people's opinions don't count, but online forums are not necessarily representative of an entire population of supporters. Usually the people talking the loudest here are those with the loudest and most extreme opinions and there are a bunch of people that simply read what is written and tend to comment more sporadically. I think there are also thousands of Eels supporters out there that simply are not part of online forums at all and you are obviously not hearing from them in this situation either. I'd say Luke Burt has alot of support as a great Parra clubman both within the broader population of fans and within the club itself.

Swiftstylez

Bench

Yes, you made a call and it proved correct - mention 3000 more times and you will still be just as correct and people will still be just as disinterested!

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=320961

I called Hayne back to fullback as well Ron Jeremy.

Also Bazal, I hope you can eat your words now knowing that I am a better judge of footballing talent than you.

And I quote:

Hayne was abysmal today...and you want to give him more responsibility? You and Hagan really are a good match

Looks like Hagan and I are the geniuses you will never aspire to be.
Amongst others:

Hayne even f**ked up wing today. Why give him the FB job ?

Wonder why I call Hayne HaHa?
HaHa is useless. As Suity said he's only ever been recognised as a winger. The only thing he did right today - as a winger - was run on to a beautiful Burty ball. Apart from that he made a simple knock on, absolutely terrible reads in defense that led directly to tries and threw a disgusting forward pass that cost us a try.

The myth gets exposed more and more each week.

If HaHa wants to play fullback, I'm sure Wenty would accomodate him.

More like I'm sure Australia is going to accommodate him.

Last edited:

Ron Jeremy

Coach

God i just gave him a wrap ffs:crazy:

He's a good winger.

Swiftstylez

Bench
God i just gave him a wrap ffs:crazy:

He's a good winger.

I updated my post sorry RJ. I noticed that you wanted Hayne at fullback as well, you just didn't think it would happen in an ideal world. I misread. Discuss what HJ said, what a crock.

"If HaHa wants to play fullback, I'm sure Wenty would accomodate him."

Sometimes I actually think HJ is a troll.

natheel

Coach
Burt Hindy and cayless are parra boys thru and thru and I would love to see them play for no other nrl team but us but if burt has to go for the best of the team then I'd like to see him in esl same goes for cayless.

I'd hate to see burt in a souths or Melbourne jersey for eg.

Admiral Awesome

Juniors
Players like Luke Burt are the reason Parra havent won a premiership in 23 years. His 2 tackles and 4 runs on Monday were outstanding, as is his ability to be scared of the ball/being hit. Theres a reason why he stays loyal to the Eels...NO1 ELSE WANTS HIM!

Swiftstylez

Bench
Best looking troll you've ever seen, boy.

I'd tap that.

Players like Luke Burt are the reason Parra havent won a premiership in 23 years. His 2 tackles and 4 runs on Monday were outstanding, as is his ability to be scared of the ball/being hit. Theres a reason why he stays loyal to the Eels...NO1 ELSE WANTS HIM!

This I disagree with. I didn't like Burt at fullback, but he is a quick and agile player that can find space and pick up some good meters on his good days. A decent winger. Good at following up players and as a goal kicker/another general play kick option...Not terrific at fullback though, as he didn't put his body on the line at all and isn't nearly as desperate as the people who wanted Hayne at fullback earlier in the season predicted Hayne would be. Not only is Hayne enterprising in attack, he usually comes up with some important try savers in defence where possible.

Last edited: