What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League clamps down on cannabis

eelandia

Juniors
A few horrific examples in here on what pot can do to you, but they are extreme examples. Some people don't know what moderation means, and others are pre-disposed to be chumps. It happens with all types of drugs, hobbies, etc.

Be against drugs by all means as it is the sensible thing to do, but don't lecture us on society's position. Those conspiracy theorists out there would claim that pot originally became illegal in the States due to it:

1) being related to 'lazy' Mexicans and had racist roots and;
2) the conglomerates feared the use of hemp as a commercial product would impact on their profits - but is was ok to use it during time of war when other resources were running low.

Not because society was worried about people's health (nee tobacco).

Way off track, I know.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Drink Driving - no punishment from club or NRL - left to the correct authorities - the Judicial system
Assault - no punishment from club or NRL - left to the correct authorities - the Judicial system
Have a bong - two years form club or NRL - hidden from the correct authorities or in Canberra just allowed.

Fuggen pathetic facists, turns me off watching the game.

Why have police?

Cletus

First Grade
What a rediculous position from the NRL. A player could do anything you care to think of, short of killing someone, and not get two years off. This penalty isn't because it's a performance enhancing drug, it's because they want to send the 'right message'. Yeah? so how about if a player bashes someone, gropes someone, exposes himself to someone? Does that send a good message? It's not as if players who smoke pot are going to be advocating children use it. When's the last time a player pulled out a joint and smoked it after winning a game?

hrundi99

First Grade
eelandia said:
Be against drugs by all means as it is the sensible thing to do, but don't lecture us on society's position. Those conspiracy theorists out there would claim... .

Society's position is that it is illegal.

I don't pay much attention to conspiracy theorists.

Green Machine

First Grade
mightybears said:
10 players failed a random drug test at souths in mid 1988, it was widely reported at the time-all the media-a big stink

the powers that be, in response to the media's need for a face to the headlines-gave up scott wilson [worry not that he was 17 and that 9 others got done as well].

as to whether it was dope, i can't remember/can't remember if they even specified publically stated what drugs were tested for.

scott wilson, unfortunately became the face of that particular drug/media beat up, and a lesson in how not to handle the issue generally for those in power that should have known better.

Not 1988 but in 1990, 10 players at Souths tested positive to social drugs. 9 tested positive to marijuana and remained unnamed, but Scott Wilson, who tested positive to cocaine was named. Also, two unnamed Brisbane Broncos returned positive marijuana tests and at Eastern Suburbs, where rumours had abounded for some time that social drug taking was rife, five players tested positive to marijuana.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
hrundi99 said:
Society's position is that it is illegal.

I don't pay much attention to conspiracy theorists.
Funny coming from a Canberra supporter where this particular product is decimalised and treated as no worse than a speeding fine.

Drink Driving or Assault are far worse crimes in Canberra - Canberrians have it correct

Drink Driving dangerous to everyone in the community.
Assault dangerous to everyone in the community.

Having a bong - dangerous to individual, and any munchies joints in town (they may run out of food).

It is OK tell me how to live my private time that endangers no-one and let the drink drivers and thugs roam free and play the game.

Great role models those thugs and pizzed drivers.

Lego_Man

First Grade
I'd love to be a fly on the wall for a while in some of the pro-drug meathead's houses who are posting in here. My suspicion is that their claim "it never did me any harm" would be quite quickly dispelled. Of course noone is going to admit that drugs have affected them, and it is pretty hard to notice psychological changes in yourself anyway.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
lol

pro-freedom dickhead.

It does harm.

Drink driving and are assault are worse and NRL allows it. Where is your outrage there?

Lego_Man

First Grade
I believe that alcohol is a problem in rugby league and society in general. But your logic is flawed.

X is bad, but we don't ban it because Y is also bad but is legal. Makes little sense.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I believe freedom is not over rated and fascism is for those who think they are superior to others.

Bad is choice free people can make.

If your idea of freedom is doing only what is good for you, then I contend it is your logic that is flawed.

*withdraws dickhead comment*

Lego_Man

First Grade
Who pays the bill when you end up in a mental institution, or on the surgeon's table, or even simply a drain on the rest of society?

Society needs to discourage certain behaviours that are detrimental to it as a whole. That is why we have laws.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Cockadoodledoo said:
If you were a fly on my wall, I would quickly swat you..

Actually, since your reflexes and hand-eye coordination would be so degraded by years of drug use and lethargy, i would be able to fly swiftly and easily to safety...
;-)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Lego_Man said:
Who pays the bill when you end up in a mental institution, or on the surgeon's table, or even simply a drain on the rest of society?
the same poeple for pay for grossly obese people heath issues, those who abuse "legal" drugs and those whom are so selfish they would take their own lives.

Bad is a choice for the free.

Anything else you wish to control of me?

For the record, I have never recieved a single government payout, have self supported myself and a family of 4 for over 20 years.

I also pay more taxes than most.

Never assaulted or raped or drank and drove and always paid my way. And if I had I would be OK to play league.

Should I have a joint I won't. Absolutley Pathetic.

Lego_Man said:
Society needs to discourage certain behaviours that are detrimental to it as a whole. That is why we have laws.
What like Drink driving?- which if charged the NRL does and the club does NOTHING.
Or like Assault which if charged the NRL and the club does NOTHING.
So for the record you support the NRL and thier bid to be fascist on drugs and allow people to assault others without consequences.

Yes I have no problem with laws that ensure an individual can live a safe and free to live a bad life.

Murder, Assault, Rape , Theft.

You on the other hand are prepeared to tell me what I can and cannot do in the privacy of my home that has no effect on others, yet support assault and drink driving - good for you.

IMO they are in fact taking the law into thier owns hands and not leaving it to the proper authorities.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Lego_Man said:
Actually, since your reflexes and hand-eye coordination would be so degraded by years of drug use and lethargy, i would be able to fly swiftly and easily to safety...
;-)

What drug use, I don't take drugs.. probably smoked half a dozen joints when I was young and if you doubt my eye-hand co-ordination, watch me destroy my younger colleagues at table tennis.. ;)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Lego_Man said:
;-)
LOL puts back dickhead comment

For all we know your 400kgs of fat waiting for a government hand out.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
My gripe is how the NRL have suddenly determined that decided to get on their high horse and determined that stamping out cannibis is such a big issue. Personally, I would think it would be in the individual clubs interest to punish offenders how they see fit..

I would like for consistency to see the NRL meter out similar punishments to those who drink and drive, after all we all know the potential consequences of that.. Additionally those charged and found guilty of assault and theft should also be punished by the NRL for consistency, after all those offences are also against the law..

El Diablo

Post Whore
Cockadoodledoo said:
My gripe is how the NRL have suddenly determined that decided to get on their high horse and determined that stamping out cannibis is such a big issue. Personally, I would think it would be in the individual clubs interest to punish offenders how they see fit..

I would like for consistency to see the NRL meter out similar punishments to those who drink and drive, after all we all know the potential consequences of that.. Additionally those charged and found guilty of assault and theft should also be punished by the NRL for consistency, after all those offences are also against the law..

Once they agreed with the WADA thing they're left with little choice.

innsaneink

Referee
Mr Angry said:
the same poeple for pay for grossly obese people heath issues, those who abuse "legal" drugs and those whom are so selfish they would take their own lives.

Bad is a choice for the free.

Anything else you wish to control of me?

For the record, I have never recieved a single government payout, have self supported myself and a family of 4 for over 20 years.

I also pay more taxes than most.

Never assaulted or raped or drank and drove and always paid my way. And if I had I would be OK to play league.

Should I have a joint I won't. Absolutley Pathetic.

What like Drink driving?- which if charged the NRL does and the club does NOTHING.
Or like Assault which if charged the NRL and the club does NOTHING.
So for the record you support the NRL and thier bid to be fascist on drugs and allow people to assault others without consequences.

Yes I have no problem with laws that ensure an individual can live a safe and free to live a bad life.

Murder, Assault, Rape , Theft.

You on the other hand are prepeared to tell me what I can and cannot do in the privacy of my home that has no effect on others, yet support assault and drink driving - good for you.

IMO they are in fact taking the law into thier owns hands and not leaving it to the proper authorities.

:lol:

Youre coming across as fairly wound up about this, Mr Angry.

Relax. Calm down.